Cricket Player Manager
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How fast do i bowl?

Tournaments Won: 1
    As I said, I'd say fast, not lightning.
    @CowsCorner - 202 followers and counting!

Disclaimer: I am a biased South African. Anything I say is likely to have something in it that ultimately favours the Proteas.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    Doesn't seem all that fast - we had a 10yo clocked at 85-90kph last summer (by Gloucestershire) so I would imagine "quick" 16s should be north of 120 at least.
    The ordinary school does not have multiple players at county standard.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

In my experience most Indian pace bowling teens who are perceived as quick enough but not lightning fast hit about 100-110 kph, like my best mate who was quick enough to beat the bat more often than not, but at 18 in a speed contest his fastest ball got clocked at 110.

International 12th Man Outswinger@Pace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chicane View Post
    In my experience most Indian pace bowling teens who are perceived as quick enough but not lightning fast hit about 100-110 kph, like my best mate who was quick enough to beat the bat more often than not, but at 18 in a speed contest his fastest ball got clocked at 110.
    It's quite relative, in my modest understanding. Cooch-Behar, club cricket (very much dependant on which club we're talking about), U-19 and U-22 are all vastly different leagues and as you'd appreciate, the average batsman's comfort level against pace would be different.

In a top-notch Mumbai, Baroda, Chennai or Delhi club and especially against senior batsmen, I don't think 110 kph is all that quick. Remember that there are club cricketers who regularly face guys like Zaheer Khan, Munaf Patel, Ashish Nehra, Rakesh Patel, Siddharth Trivedi, Irfan Pathan, R P Singh et. al. in nets and matches.

As I often say, pace in the air is a hugely overrated and poorly understood term in general. 110 kph can be loopy nonsense or deceptively quick, depending on how much pace it gains off the pitch and the deliverer's natural attributes.

Quote Originally Posted by Outswinger@Pace View Post
    It's quite relative, in my modest understanding. Cooch-Behar, club cricket (very much dependant on which club we're talking about), U-19 and U-22 are all vastly different leagues and as you'd appreciate, the average batsman's comfort level against pace would be different.

In a top-notch Mumbai, Baroda, Chennai or Delhi club and especially against senior batsmen, I don't think 110 kph is all that quick. Remember that there are club cricketers who regularly face guys like Zaheer Khan, Munaf Patel, Ashish Nehra, Rakesh Patel, Siddharth Trivedi, Irfan Pathan, R P Singh et. al. in nets and matches.

As I often say, pace in the air is a hugely overrated and poorly understood term in general. 110 kph can be loopy nonsense or deceptively quick, depending on how much pace it gains off the pitch and the deliverer's natural attributes.
    Yeah agreed 110kph might not trouble bats of a higher standard, but point being there might not be a lot of kids bowling much quicker than that, and probably tends to zero 17 yo 140 kph merchants like Aamir, Lee etc. -)
    Also PAT CUMMINS!
    Last edited by chicane; 23-12-2011 at 08:56 AM. Reason: PAT CUMMINS

Cricket Spectator
    when i was 16 my coaches told i am bowling around 128 to 133 kph.... right now i am 20 left my cricket for few years and now they say i am around 133kph to 135kph... can some suggest me how to increase my speed i want to click around 140kph to 145

U19 12th Man
    The guy who won the cricket show fast bowling comp (138kph) for the Gabba test this season played for my club until last season. I never faced him because he never came to training but his opening partner who is noticably slower bowls mid 120s and it is pretty fast as far as I am concerned.

Based on some of those guys that have been clocked from my club a reasonable estimate of pace is to get a juggs bowling machine and crank it up until it seems about the same as them and then add 5-10mph (the machine appears quicker as you don't get the arm just a ball out a hole). So old mate mentioned above is about the same as 70 on the bowling machine and his brother is about 5-8kph slower and comes out about 65 on the machine. Rough but gets you an idea. Of course, you need a bowling machine handy to do this.

Interesting side note, 90mph is ****ing fast and I hate the idea of getting a bouncer at that speed.

Tournaments Won: 1
    After watching angelo matthews in East London, I am covinced that I bowl around 120. In fact, I tweaked my run-up last practice so that I attack the crease more and I really felt like I gained another 5kph. Btw, I'm 16 turning 17 in march. I generally get some nice outswing. I rate I should move to india!

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    Doesn't seem all that fast - we had a 10yo clocked at 85-90kph last summer (by Gloucestershire) so I would imagine "quick" 16s should be north of 120 at least.
    I think it's incredibly rare to get someone in their teens bowling exceptionally quick for their age. You generally have to be built a bit like an adult (i.e taller than average and stockier as well). I'm betting the 10 year old is more physically advanced than other blokes his age.

Hear about a bloke called Ollie Wicket (or something similar) from around the Devon area who was apparently clocked at 85mph...needless to say he wasn't that quick when we played him, and he got smashed all over the park.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Cricket Spectator
    Im confused as im a 14 year old bowler ive always been exceptionally quick but at a radar gun speed competiition i was clocking 72 mph on average :/ whereas 16 year olds on here are having trouble with that im 5ft 10" and ive always been feared by ppl in my club do you think its true

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by karan62 View Post
    Im confused as im a 14 year old bowler ive always been exceptionally quick but at a radar gun speed competiition i was clocking 72 mph on average :/ whereas 16 year olds on here are having trouble with that im 5ft 10" and ive always been feared by ppl in my club do you think its true
    Are you related to Atul Sharma?
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Cricket Spectator
    No :') but I do have several family members who have in the past surpassed the 90 mph barrier so another observation the technique with the stopwatch and deviding by 40 gives you a higher speed by about 5 mph because at this competition a friend used the stopwatch technique and the radar gun registered 74 but the stopwatch technique showed 79 :/ and this happened consistently so take 5 mph of whatever you get with the stopwatch technique a number of people did it and always ended up with a speed 5 mph higher than the radar gun

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    I think it's incredibly rare to get someone in their teens bowling exceptionally quick for their age. You generally have to be built a bit like an adult (i.e taller than average and stockier as well). .
    And yes about my build I am quite heavy but not ridiculously strong I come in at. 65 kg or just under. 11 stone suprisingly I'm Indian ;D
    Last edited by karan62; 21-07-2012 at 06:25 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information