Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How fast do i bowl?

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmilez View Post
    I've bowled to a mate through backyard cricket and he's said that its between 110-120 (he faces this type of speed through school cricket). I bowl somewhat like Jimmy Anderson, so i bend my back quite a bit. Although i could send a video in sometime i guess.
    It's great if you're at that speed so young (and you're not going to hurt yourself). If you can project a tennis ball at 120kph over 22 yards though I'd say you'd be quicker with a cricket ball.

Has your mate actually played against guys who have been measured at that pace though or is he guessing. I think you'd be surprised how quick 120kph is.

I'm not saying it's impossible though by any means. A guy called Paul Spence played in our area and he was very sharp when he was 14 (he was also about 180cm tall). He ended up playing Australian Under 19's I think.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Cricket Spectator
    I think below link will help you.

Bowling Equipment Information | eHow.co.uk

Banned
    practice hard and take a long run,it will help full to boost your speed ask batsman about your speed.

Quote Originally Posted by hanery View Post
    practice hard and take a long run,it will help full to boost your speed ask batsman about your speed.
    Longer runup isn't necessarily better.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba
    If Shoiab starts throwing his jockstrap around, they're all going to catch something

Accidental Founder of the Fawad Alam Appreciation Society!

Slowfinger - An active member of CricketWeb for 7 years and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by slowfinger View Post
    No exactly right. you should be reaching your optimum speed when you hit the crease. Not running in that far you're buggered and slowing down before you get there.
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 21-12-2011 at 03:28 AM.

International 12th Man Outswinger@Pace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slowfinger View Post
    True! About what suits your natural rhythm the best. Always had a longish runup myself, but each young bowler needs to decide that for himself. I do not take kindly to a coach interfering with a bowler's natural runup.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Outswinger@Pace View Post
    True! About what suits your natural rhythm the best. Always had a longish runup myself, but each young bowler needs to decide that for himself. I do not take kindly to a coach interfering with a bowler's natural runup.
    Run-ups. Gah. If I had a cookie for every time I'd seen a kid charge in from 20 yards and then stop dead in his tracks before slinging down a tasty slice of pie...
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanery View Post
    Reckon the key here is how honest the batsman is -
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    Run-ups. Gah. If I had a cookie for every time I'd seen a kid charge in from 20 yards and then stop dead in his tracks before slinging down a tasty slice of pie...
    That's not the run-up's fault Have seen the same thing actually, such a waste of energy.

You need a run-up you're comfortable with and that gets you to the crease at the point where you have the greatest momentum. It's about rhythm, not speed, with the run-up. You can run in as fast as you like, but if it throws you out of whack as you hit the crease then you'll probably overtake the ball on your follow through.

Never had a long run-up myself, about 14 paces and would walk 5 short steps past that as a walk into the run-up. Stayed the same for 12 years. It's good to get your run-up sorted out, makes it so much easier to be consistent.

Not sure if this was mentioned re: bowling fast before too, but if you're in your teens then there's every chance you'll get faster in your early 20's when you get stronger anyway.. I wouldn't push it by trying to run in like Usain Bolt now, as I doubt it'll actually make you bowl better.
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 21-12-2011 at 03:35 AM.

Bit irrelevant, but judging by the charity match he played, even Usain Bolt doesn't charge to the crease.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

School Boy/Girl Captain sudhindra9's Avatar
    If you charge to the crease too fast then you probably won't have enough time for the finish. So you'll end up just releasing the ball instead of giving it serious revolutions.
    I would like to watch bowlers dominate batsmen like a dog would a tail-wagging contest against a rabbit. Which means I spend most of my days fuming and cursing the game. The Newlands Test between South Africa and Australia has vindicated my belief that batsmen are a bunch of weak-minded, inept fools only good for waving about sponsor logos.

Quote Originally Posted by sudhindra9 View Post
    If you charge to the crease too fast then you probably won't have enough time for the finish. So you'll end up just releasing the ball instead of giving it serious revolutions.
    Which is the actual reason that I think bowlers have very long run ups. It is easier to control your body if you're not accelerating at a particularly fast rate. At the same time, bowlers do not want to steadily jog in off 5 paces because they won't be going very fast. So they compromise and run in off a long run.

Tournaments Won: 1
    I run off a rather long line up (at least according to my mates) but I don't sprint it, I gradually get faster as I near the pitch.

I was timing myself at one point and I was shocked how slow I supposedly was. Then again, I was in school uniform and my mate was using an Iphone so the experiment was effectively rubbish.

I'm 16, I'd estimate that I bowl around 110-115kph. I'm the feared bowler in my team, I'd consider myself as fast, but not express. I'm from SA, so "fast" is probably faster than an Indian "fast" for example.
    @CowsCorner - 202 followers and counting!

Disclaimer: I am a biased South African. Anything I say is likely to have something in it that ultimately favours the Proteas.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPrez View Post
    I'm 16, I'd estimate that I bowl around 110-115kph. I'm the feared bowler in my team, I'd consider myself as fast, but not express. I'm from SA, so "fast" is probably faster than an Indian "fast" for example.
    Feared fast bowler at 16 bowling around 110-115kph sounds right to me.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Doesn't seem all that fast - we had a 10yo clocked at 85-90kph last summer (by Gloucestershire) so I would imagine "quick" 16s should be north of 120 at least.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information