Thread: Planning on playing cricket

Planning on playing cricket

I mean what kind of man would I be if I didn't heed the call of my country in its darkest hour?

In all seriousness, soccer has been the sport I've played since I've been very young. I had a very bad knee injury (medial ligament) a few years back, and after several attempted comebacks, a recent (very bad) flare up has convinced me that my knees just won't be able to handle the sport anymore.

Trouble is I'm not happy with how bulbous my body is becoming, so I need some physical activity to keep things in balance. I'm not expecting a qualified medical opinion, but as a general rule how hard is cricket on the knees as a batsman? Not talking international standard dive at the boundary type cricket, I'd be pretty much looking at playing as amateur as it comes.

Secondly what would I be able to do in the off season to brush up my batting skills so I suck slightly less than necessary? Haven't picked up a bat since my teens ftr.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

RIP Craig

Not hugely, just as a batsman. We've had a bloke with dodgy knees who's done well for us the past two years, sometimes he turns a bit poorly when you send him back though.

As long as you can quickly transfer your weight onto either foot to play shots, you'll be fine.

In terms of things to do in the off-season, depends on how much time you have. Few hits in the indoor nets, just on a ball machine to get as many balls as possible. Besides that, throwdowns with your mates, just get back into it!

Thanks for that mate. As long as I don't have to do anything too flamboyant on my front foot it sounds like I should be ok.

You mentioned a ball machine, are you able to just go to a cricket club and borrow the machine for an hour or two or doesn't it work like that?

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Not hugely, just as a batsman. We've had a bloke with dodgy knees who's done well for us the past two years, sometimes he turns a bit poorly when you send him back though.

As long as you can quickly transfer your weight onto either foot to play shots, you'll be fine.

In terms of things to do in the off-season, depends on how much time you have. Few hits in the indoor nets, just on a ball machine to get as many balls as possible. Besides that, throwdowns with your mates, just get back into it!
    If this means what I think then
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Quote Originally Posted by Ausage View Post
    Thanks for that mate. As long as I don't have to do anything too flamboyant on my front foot it sounds like I should be ok.

You mentioned a ball machine, are you able to just go to a cricket club and borrow the machine for an hour or two or doesn't it work like that?
    Local indoor cricket centre is your best bet. Don't know how much it costs these days - we've got one down at our club - but just head down with a mate and bust out as many balls as you can in 30min to an hour. I generally don't like them too much, but I think they are good after a break (start of season, or in your situation) just to get the feet moving again, allows volume and repetition.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Go for it Ausage! As a sufferer of chronic knee and ankle pain, I can sort of understand where you're coming from. I started playing cricket again, albeit at a much lower level, and I haven't regretted it one bit.
    Jesus saves

member of Liverpool FC and Melbourne City

School Boy/Girl Cricketer someblokedave's Avatar
    Nnanden, what do you do to alleviate your knee pain - as mine are sore this year whenever I do any exercise. I've been told it may be connected to having tight thigh muscles?

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by someblokedave View Post
    Nnanden, what do you do to alleviate your knee pain - as mine are sore this year whenever I do any exercise. I've been told it may be connected to having tight thigh muscles?
    I have this problem too, though my knees are buggered in general and I have no flexibility. Have had Patella Tendonitis (equivalent to tennis elbow, but in the knees) from certain sports so if there's a way to relieve these pains, I'd love to know it. It has been suggested to me to go to a physio to increase the general flexibility in my legs, but I haven't done so as yet.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by someblokedave View Post
    As Heath has alluded to, physio. Going once a week, and doing my leg strengthening excercies 3-4 times a week at home has really helped. The pain isn't gone by any means, but it's able to be managed a lot better.

Thread Information