• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Planning on playing cricket

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean what kind of man would I be if I didn't heed the call of my country in its darkest hour? :ph34r:

In all seriousness, soccer has been the sport I've played since I've been very young. I had a very bad knee injury (medial ligament) a few years back, and after several attempted comebacks, a recent (very bad) flare up has convinced me that my knees just won't be able to handle the sport anymore.

Trouble is I'm not happy with how bulbous my body is becoming, so I need some physical activity to keep things in balance. I'm not expecting a qualified medical opinion, but as a general rule how hard is cricket on the knees as a batsman? Not talking international standard dive at the boundary type cricket, I'd be pretty much looking at playing as amateur as it comes.

Secondly what would I be able to do in the off season to brush up my batting skills so I suck slightly less than necessary? Haven't picked up a bat since my teens ftr.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Not hugely, just as a batsman. We've had a bloke with dodgy knees who's done well for us the past two years, sometimes he turns a bit poorly when you send him back though.

As long as you can quickly transfer your weight onto either foot to play shots, you'll be fine.

In terms of things to do in the off-season, depends on how much time you have. Few hits in the indoor nets, just on a ball machine to get as many balls as possible. Besides that, throwdowns with your mates, just get back into it!

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Thanks for that mate. As long as I don't have to do anything too flamboyant on my front foot it sounds like I should be ok.

You mentioned a ball machine, are you able to just go to a cricket club and borrow the machine for an hour or two or doesn't it work like that?

Spark

Global Moderator
Not hugely, just as a batsman. We've had a bloke with dodgy knees who's done well for us the past two years, sometimes he turns a bit poorly when you send him back though.

As long as you can quickly transfer your weight onto either foot to play shots, you'll be fine.

In terms of things to do in the off-season, depends on how much time you have. Few hits in the indoor nets, just on a ball machine to get as many balls as possible. Besides that, throwdowns with your mates, just get back into it!
If this means what I think then :laugh::laugh::laugh:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Thanks for that mate. As long as I don't have to do anything too flamboyant on my front foot it sounds like I should be ok.

You mentioned a ball machine, are you able to just go to a cricket club and borrow the machine for an hour or two or doesn't it work like that?
Local indoor cricket centre is your best bet. Don't know how much it costs these days - we've got one down at our club - but just head down with a mate and bust out as many balls as you can in 30min to an hour. I generally don't like them too much, but I think they are good after a break (start of season, or in your situation) just to get the feet moving again, allows volume and repetition.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Go for it Ausage! As a sufferer of chronic knee and ankle pain, I can sort of understand where you're coming from. I started playing cricket again, albeit at a much lower level, and I haven't regretted it one bit. :)

someblokedave

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Nnanden, what do you do to alleviate your knee pain - as mine are sore this year whenever I do any exercise. I've been told it may be connected to having tight thigh muscles?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nnanden, what do you do to alleviate your knee pain - as mine are sore this year whenever I do any exercise. I've been told it may be connected to having tight thigh muscles?
I have this problem too, though my knees are buggered in general and I have no flexibility. Have had Patella Tendonitis (equivalent to tennis elbow, but in the knees) from certain sports so if there's a way to relieve these pains, I'd love to know it. It has been suggested to me to go to a physio to increase the general flexibility in my legs, but I haven't done so as yet.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
As Heath has alluded to, physio. Going once a week, and doing my leg strengthening excercies 3-4 times a week at home has really helped. The pain isn't gone by any means, but it's able to be managed a lot better.