• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Issues with the Pull Shot

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
This year I've been in the best form of my life batting-wise, scoring a mountain of runs with my drives and flicking off the hip, but I seem to have lost my back foot game. I seem to be having trouble getting into position for the pull early enough, so I end up having to defend balls that are utter crap that deserve to be punished.

So yeah, any tips for playing the pull shot?

Thanks guys :)

slowfinger

International Debutant
This year I've been in the best form of my life batting-wise, scoring a mountain of runs with my drives and flicking off the hip, but I seem to have lost my back foot game. I seem to be having trouble getting into position for the pull early enough, so I end up having to defend balls that are utter crap that deserve to be punished.

So yeah, any tips for playing the pull shot?

Thanks guys :)
I think some net practise could solve the problem, I had that problem but flicking off my hips. Just watch the ball and hit from UP TO DOWN. That is crucial, also roll your wrists over the shot so it goes down but normally I just put my weight into the shot and free my arms, it will come with time, just one of those things I guess. Try to wait and then cautiously roll your arms over the shot rather than no eyed slagging at the ball. Otherwise its a shot that makes me runs. About 40-60% of them :happy: But dont edge it, it is very annoying.

TumTum

Banned
It's because you're not used to playing the shot. As slowfinger said, you need to start playing them more often in the nets and start playing the pull shot to balls that are even just slightly short of a length (like balls on your hips). After you get yourself into that frame of mind, it will come naturally.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
My method for the pull

I get square to the ball and point my back foot down the pitch - then just swing the bat horizontally at the ball. The best thing is to practice it in the mirror for about a week and you will get the hang of it. You need to do that prior to the nets. Just by yourself in front of the mirror you will know if you are completing the shot quickly enough. Didn't learn how to pull until I was 19.

Lastly only take balls off middle stump and leg stump. You will get out from taking balls from outside off stump unless you are a master.

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
haven't read the link from cricketdrills so hope I'm not contradicting him. My lad had a few lessons with an ex-pro last year and did a session on the pull shot. A major part of it was the elimination of any back-lift. get the back sort of vertical and to gives you far more time to play the shot. You don't need the power from a long back-lift. The other mistake is not to play it too close and not extend your arms. You need to commit.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
1st rule of batting-- never get caught on the crease. Go forward or back. In fact, IMO, it is better to go forward when you should be back and vice versa than go nowhere.

Make sure you are using the crease and going back into the stumps. If you are not doing that then the pull is a hard shot to play.