Thread: Issues with the Pull Shot

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse

Issues with the Pull Shot

This year I've been in the best form of my life batting-wise, scoring a mountain of runs with my drives and flicking off the hip, but I seem to have lost my back foot game. I seem to be having trouble getting into position for the pull early enough, so I end up having to defend balls that are utter crap that deserve to be punished.

So yeah, any tips for playing the pull shot?

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    This year I've been in the best form of my life batting-wise, scoring a mountain of runs with my drives and flicking off the hip, but I seem to have lost my back foot game. I seem to be having trouble getting into position for the pull early enough, so I end up having to defend balls that are utter crap that deserve to be punished.

So yeah, any tips for playing the pull shot?

Thanks guys
    I think some net practise could solve the problem, I had that problem but flicking off my hips. Just watch the ball and hit from UP TO DOWN. That is crucial, also roll your wrists over the shot so it goes down but normally I just put my weight into the shot and free my arms, it will come with time, just one of those things I guess. Try to wait and then cautiously roll your arms over the shot rather than no eyed slagging at the ball. Otherwise its a shot that makes me runs. About 40-60% of them But dont edge it, it is very annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba
    If Shoiab starts throwing his jockstrap around, they're all going to catch something

Accidental Founder of the Fawad Alam Appreciation Society!

Slowfinger - An active member of CricketWeb for 7 years and counting!

International Regular
    It's because you're not used to playing the shot. As slowfinger said, you need to start playing them more often in the nets and start playing the pull shot to balls that are even just slightly short of a length (like balls on your hips). After you get yourself into that frame of mind, it will come naturally.

Cricket Spectator
    I Have Explained the Pull shot here.

How to Play the Hook/Pull Shot - CricketDrills.com

hope this is some help
    Cricket Drills and Skills: http://www.cricketdrills.com/

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    My method for the pull

I get square to the ball and point my back foot down the pitch - then just swing the bat horizontally at the ball. The best thing is to practice it in the mirror for about a week and you will get the hang of it. You need to do that prior to the nets. Just by yourself in front of the mirror you will know if you are completing the shot quickly enough. Didn't learn how to pull until I was 19.

Lastly only take balls off middle stump and leg stump. You will get out from taking balls from outside off stump unless you are a master.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

U19 Vice-Captain
    haven't read the link from cricketdrills so hope I'm not contradicting him. My lad had a few lessons with an ex-pro last year and did a session on the pull shot. A major part of it was the elimination of any back-lift. get the back sort of vertical and to gives you far more time to play the shot. You don't need the power from a long back-lift. The other mistake is not to play it too close and not extend your arms. You need to commit.

1st rule of batting-- never get caught on the crease. Go forward or back. In fact, IMO, it is better to go forward when you should be back and vice versa than go nowhere.

Make sure you are using the crease and going back into the stumps. If you are not doing that then the pull is a hard shot to play.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Thread Information