• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Picking up the ball earlier

Blocky

Banned
Hi All.

Thought I'd see if anyone here has tips on picking up the ball earlier, especially against faster bowlers? I think as simple as it sounds, I hadn't been watching the ball until this year - as in focusing on the ball as the bowler runs in and attentively following the ball onto the bat.

Still struggling a bit when the pace gets above 130kmh to see the ball early enough to do anything other than defend - any tips for seeing quicker bowlers earlier and being able to get better at playing shots against them?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Two main things:

* Being still at delivery; often being forced to defend every quick bowler is a consequence of being on the move when the ball gets delivered (trigger movement may happen too late, for example), so the feet shuffle and never get to the pitch of the ball or get your weight right, so you are forced to defend.

* I generally try and focus on the ball at the point of the bowler's load up, because I see it as the point where the bowler shows the ball to me, and I can see the grip being used.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This is interesting, because I consider it by far my biggest problem as a batsman and I was basically told by a couple of coaches that there isn't a lot I could do to improve it other than repetition.

Blocky

Banned
This is interesting, because I consider it by far my biggest problem as a batsman and I was basically told by a couple of coaches that there isn't a lot I could do to improve it other than repetition.
That's my belief too, you need to face the ball at that pace to get used to it and start adjusting, the problem is, there aren't many guys around who deliver 130kph in the nets. The bowling machine is a poor substitute due to the lack of triggers too.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Yeah, I read an interesting bit on this in the Woolmer on Batting book that analysed the way batsmen pick up the ball - can't recall exactly, will look it up during tomorrow's play - that surmised that the rate at which a batsman picks up the line/length of a ball is a major contribution towards how good they are.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Think being still is such a huge thing. You can deduce quicker and more accurately when your eyes are still; if they are moving, and they are trying to measure a moving target, it makes everything so much more difficult.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Think its all about practice and just practice....i try to keep my eyes on the ball from the very beginning as the bowler runs in....