• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advice needed

kuranui

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
So, got a bit of an issue with what i will be playing in this year for my school. Im usually part of the 1st XI, but this year we got a few new guys who are quite skilled, so places are tight. Thing is, i dont really feel as though i deserve a spot in the team because i dont really produce many substantial innings(but my technique and skills have improved quite vastly this year), it feels as though i only have the spot because im a senior player.

I feel as though i should drop down to the 2nd XI who play pretty much junior cricket so that i can prove to myself and the 1st's that i deserve a spot. Or should i stay in the 1st's and try and slug it out to bat well, and prove my worth?

any advice is very much welcome

slowfinger

International Debutant
So, got a bit of an issue with what i will be playing in this year for my school. Im usually part of the 1st XI, but this year we got a few new guys who are quite skilled, so places are tight. Thing is, i dont really feel as though i deserve a spot in the team because i dont really produce many substantial innings(but my technique and skills have improved quite vastly this year), it feels as though i only have the spot because im a senior player.

I feel as though i should drop down to the 2nd XI who play pretty much junior cricket so that i can prove to myself and the 1st's that i deserve a spot. Or should i stay in the 1st's and try and slug it out to bat well, and prove my worth?

Hey,
My advice would be to:
Either drop down to the 2nd XI and prove how good you are with good knocks and (or) wickets. We had this situation in our team, there were a few players that were in our 1ST XI but didn't prove anything great, and there was a promising offspinner in the 2nd XI for half the season. We put him up and he took joint top wickets for our 1st XI aswell. You never know. You do what you feel comfortable. I personally think you should try and play in the 1st XI, and know what you are up against as a top player. If you feel this isn't doing justice, go down to the 2nd XI and prove how worthy you are. We did this and eventually we got the best of both worlds. But you will never know unless you try both.

In the end it comes down to if you want to be captain of the 2nd XI, or a figure in the 1st XI. If you are doubting your position just go down and prove yourself untill you feel confident, and in the end, you will only get better if you can aim higher. Go into the local nets,ask your team mates to net with you, practise, solidify your technique and you will prosper.

Good luck!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Make yourself invaluable by working super hard on your fielding. If you can be in the best couple of fielders in the side, then you'll get the gig every time.

I don't see how you prove yourself by making runs in the 2nds. Prove yourself by making scores in the firsts!

Bonnie Prince C

U19 12th Man
If you are going to get a crack at it in the 1st team, so actually getting a proper bowler or batting 7 upwards, then I would say stick it out in the 1st XI. You will improve more from playing at a better standard, as long as you are not completely out of your league.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Make yourself invaluable by working super hard on your fielding. If you can be in the best couple of fielders in the side, then you'll get the gig every time.

I don't see how you prove yourself by making runs in the 2nds. Prove yourself by making scores in the firsts!
Basically prove that you are a step up from the 2nd XI ,if you find it hard making runs in the firsts. Your results should speak for itself.

Woodster

International Captain

The way I see it mate, is that if you are doubting your own position in the 1st's then it seems to me you need to find the confidence to believe you can make a big impact in the 1st XI. The best way I can see you doing that is by putting in some sterling match winning performances in the 2's. Sometimes a step down is not always a step backwards but will help develop you as a player. Confidence is a massive thing, if you don't think you belong in the 1's, the likelihood is, your performances will reflect that.

Yes it's true that you will improve by playing against better players, and your time for that will come when you have some solid performances behind you. While confidence is low, these better players will be more intimidating than a source of potential development.

Just my thoughts mate.

kuranui

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The way I see it mate, is that if you are doubting your own position in the 1st's then it seems to me you need to find the confidence to believe you can make a big impact in the 1st XI. The best way I can see you doing that is by putting in some sterling match winning performances in the 2's. Sometimes a step down is not always a step backwards but will help develop you as a player. Confidence is a massive thing, if you don't think you belong in the 1's, the likelihood is, your performances will reflect that.

Yes it's true that you will improve by playing against better players, and your time for that will come when you have some solid performances behind you. While confidence is low, these better players will be more intimidating than a source of potential development.

Just my thoughts mate.
This is what i was thinking.
not exactly the most confident cricketer in the world.
Cheers everyone

Woodster

International Captain
This is what i was thinking.
not exactly the most confident cricketer in the world.
Cheers everyone
Good luck mate, let us know how you go. When you do get the runs, make sure you take that confidence with you into the 1's.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is the exact same situation I was in a few years back, except we had no 2nd XI and I was waterboy for an entire season :(

Anyways, if you fell you're out of place in the 1st XI and aren't getting opportunities to prove yourself, and dropping down would give you alot more overs to bowl/bat, go ahead and do it. But if you aren't completely out of your league in the 1st XI, fight for your spot as hard as you can, and try to do the best with whatever limited opportunities you get.

Easy to say, I know, but as woodster said, you need to get some confidence before those runs start coming.

slowfinger

International Debutant

Just my thoughts mate.
:happy:8-)