• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mastering a Flipper

ringo1968

Cricket Spectator
I am a leg spinner and am currently trying to master a kind of flipper as an alternative to a basic, big turning leg break. Any tips on this particular delivery ? It seems to be a case of flicking a couple of fingers as in clicking the fingers and i have bowled a few in the nets, it is pretty tough to bowl accurately. I do not seem to have the flexibility to bowl a googly for some reason it always turns into another leg break !!!

someblokedave

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I am a leg spinner and am currently trying to master a kind of flipper as an alternative to a basic, big turning leg break. Any tips on this particular delivery ? It seems to be a case of flicking a couple of fingers as in clicking the fingers and i have bowled a few in the nets, it is pretty tough to bowl accurately. I do not seem to have the flexibility to bowl a googly for some reason it always turns into another leg break !!!
Yay - my speciality. I think I just answered your questions relating to the wrong un on the other thread (Wrist Spin). With regards the Flipper you're on the right track. Grimmett invented the Flipper in it's various forms (See links below for the history) and ended up bowling the Top-Spinning variant as his main ball, this is the ball that Bradman described as Grimmetts 'Mystery Ball'. Over a period of 12 years Grimmett experimented with back, off, leg and top-spinning variations and discarded the more common Back-spinning variation that we see Terry Jenner and Shane Warne demonstrating on you tube. If you have a look at my channell on you tube YouTube - someblokecalleddave1's Channel I demonstrate the theroy behind each of the Flipper variations most of which have been lost to history since the 1950's when Benaud high-jacked the back-spinning variation almost claiming it to be his own! If you're looking to get started I reckon you are probably best off learning the conventional back-spinning variation YouTube - someblokecalleddave1's Channel what you want to do is carry a ball round for a couple or 3 weeks and just keep flicking it constantly and you'll build the muscles in the thumb and fore-arm required to get the spin on the ball. What I will say is - if you're under 18 you're advised not to bowl this as the strain on your tendons and muscles at a stage where they're developing could cause life-long damage. If you're older be aware that you might get Medial Epicondylitis and you should do exercises on your wrist and forearms in conjunction with learning these deliveries.

Once you master the basic version - suss the 'Top-Spinner' and the 'Off-spinner' in that order - they are such good deliveries!!

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I find dolphins hard to work with. Try taming salmon or other such smaller marine life.