• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batting help

Seanyjb10

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hi guys, During this second half of the season my form has dropped and I am struggling to recapture my good form. I seem to be getting out bowled and caught behind recently, as every time I have been bowled I drag the ball onto my stumps with an inside edge!

Can anyone give me any coaching points to try to solve this problem?

Other points are I have a trigger movement and I am a very front foot player.

Cheers guys

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hi,

I have issues with my own batting. But I don't get out by dragging the ball on too often. I got out once this way two seasons ago. I tried to force a ball that was too close to off stump through the covers and edged it on to my stumps. So one reason for playing on is that you are not playing through the line of the ball. If it is on off stump or just outside off stump it should be going towards mid off and not through the covers, or point, or anywhere else on the field.

This is my two cents.

Thank you

Jamiiie2k10

Cricket Spectator
If you are bringing it back on to your stumps from an inside edge you obviously have a grip broblem try rotating the bat away from you a bit then try playing the shot. You also might have a timing problem if you play the shot to early the bat face closes and you could possibly edge it. If you don't edge it the ball won't travel very far as the bat face is closed.

If you are getting caught behind from an outside edge you might have a timing problem there aswell, just work on the basics and build up your confidence, if you are bowled a good ball and you will have trouble hitting it just leave it. (Obviously not if its on your stumps get your bat in the way of it).

Seanyjb10

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Cheers guys, I think the caught behind problem is because I chase after balls outside off stump occasionly, the inside edges have stopped now so your advice has been week appreciated!

Blocky

Banned
Get back to the basics.

Take all shots out of your arsenal that involve you playing away from the body for the start of your innings.

When I go out to bat, I basically have three shot options - defense/punch and then look for the single, driving in the V and the tuck off the hips.

When I've been in a while, got myself in - I might open up the cut shot and cover drive and work off of those.

At club level, bowlers will give you more than enough mistakes to capitalise on, you can't score runs against them if you're out.