• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Captaincy ?

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Hi guys,

It has been a while, so first a short update.
I’m currently working on a project to start a new cricket team in my city. Just finding the right people, making a business plan and approaching possible partners.

So far we have approximately 30 players and the number increases everyday.

Most of the guys want to have me as a captain next season. I’m a decent batsman, have some good bowling, I give everybody a fair opportunity and I have a leadership mentality (according to the guys).

This season is only my second year that I play cricket. So I don’t have that much experience. Last year we had a brilliant captain at my current club, unfortunately he was outsourced for his job and is not coming back soon. This year we have a new captain for the league games, a great player. But all the decisions are taken by some of the senior players. Meaning that all his friends are being selected to play league and friendlies.

For the friendly games we have a rotation system so the club can invest in some future captains but once more all the important decisions are taken by the same senior players.

For me cricket is all about having fun, developing yourself and your teammates as a player and win, draw and loss together. So I’m not into politics.

My vision on being a captain is giving everybody fair opportunity to play intra club games and friendlies. Organize two/ three training sessions a week. Where everybody can practice together. So we can learn from each other and select the best players but also give others a change. By using a rotation system.

So I’m actually looking for some good tips on how to act as a good captain?

Cheers guys

slowfinger

International Debutant
Well since I've been captain for most of the season, I've found out that you really need to se the example, they always follow accordingly. If your bowler starts bowling wide and is getting tonked, you should know how to deal with him accordingly. If you are willing to give everybody a go, so be it. But if somebody isnt having the best of games, also learn to handle him and bond with your players, make them like you!

If somebody looks as if hes being really left out, help him out and cheer him up, especially in the field. And don't be afraid finally to really get behind your players!

Good Luck.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Following on from that, try to give the non bowlers a chance to roll the arm over, and the lower order batters a chance to put the pads on early, when the games not on the line. That way they'll like you instead of being **** bored doing nothing.

Also try to not put the same player out on the boundary, unless he actually likes it.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Try to follow your own ideas rather than consulting with two many people. You will get some decisions wrong - but you will get some other decisions right. If you listen to everyone you will get everything wrong.

Other tips
- Give the bowlers a chance to have a recovery over if they are bowling badly unless then have already been on for 6 or 7 overs and you can see they are getting tired. When I first started captaining I would take people off after two overs and the bowlers were getting frustrated.
- Never get too creative with the batting order. For example don't open the batting with your number 11 batsman and tell him to have a go if you are a chasing quick runs. Your number 11 batsman will freak out and start defending everything because he won't want to embarrass himself and you will fall behind the run rate.
- Don't do anything too creative in the field without warning your players before the game. I have had bowlers refuse to bowl to my field I set because they didn't understand what was going on. If I had've explained my strategies before the game started things would have gone better.

The biggest thing you can do as a leader is to perform with the bat (or ball) yourself. If you score 30 runs this will help your team to win the game far more than a clever bowling change or a creative field setting. So try to focus on performing yourself.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Try to follow your own ideas rather than consulting with two many people. You will get some decisions wrong - but you will get some other decisions right. If you listen to everyone you will get everything wrong.

Other tips
- Give the bowlers a chance to have a recovery over if they are bowling badly unless then have already been on for 6 or 7 overs and you can see they are getting tired. When I first started captaining I would take people off after two overs and the bowlers were getting frustrated.
- Never get too creative with the batting order. For example don't open the batting with your number 11 batsman and tell him to have a go if you are a chasing quick runs. Your number 11 batsman will freak out and start defending everything because he won't want to embarrass himself and you will fall behind the run rate.
- Don't do anything too creative in the field without warning your players before the game. I have had bowlers refuse to bowl to my field I set because they didn't understand what was going on. If I had've explained my strategies before the game started things would have gone better.

The biggest thing you can do as a leader is to perform with the bat (or ball) yourself. If you score 30 runs this will help your team to win the game far more than a clever bowling change or a creative field setting. So try to focus on performing yourself.
This.