• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Interested in umpiring as a career..

AaronK

State Regular
Hi

I live in U.S California.. which means far far away from the world of cricket..

I want to pursue a career in umpiring but I have no idea how to start?

I honestly don't know what kind of qaulifications do I need to start? do I have to attend some kind of school or courses? and other questions of these kids..

cricket has been my passion ever since I was a kid. I don't think i can become a cricketer but it is never too late to be an umpire and be associated with the great game of Cricket..

Any ideas and Help would be appreciated..

thank you

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was a member of the former Association of Cricket Umpires & Scorers.

They have now been absorbed by the ECB, I believe.

I suspect it would be worth contacting your national Cricket body and asking them what training options there are available in the USA - I presume there is still a need for umpires of some description in the States, so a training scheme should exist.

From there, its all about gaining experience really; umpiring as many games as you can.

micoach

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
If you can't find a way to get a formal qualification there are a number of other options.

First, pick up a copy of "Tom Smith's New Cricket Umpiring and Scoring" book. It explains the Laws in some detail, giving examples and illustrations.

Second there are some online training guides that can help you with the finer points that may not be in the Laws (such as running the game, building a rapport with the players, dealing with pressure etc.)

The IICUS offer stuff throuogh their website umpires.tv and (sorry for the blatant advertising but I think it is relevant here) I do a course based on powerpoint presentations that you can do online here: The Umpiring Survival Guide for Players, Coaches and Non-Umpires | Cricket coaching, fitness and tips