• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My batting style

kuranui

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hey guys.

Um basically i play in a 40 over a side competition coming in at 3. Now i have found that my style is like so defensive its not funny. Like the last two games i have scored 4, and 2 and both times spent about 30-40 minutes at the crease. I block anything on stumps and leave out side off. Now both times i got out is because i got fed up and tried and aggresive shot.

I want to know if there is anything i can to help make my game more aggresive and score runs, or if there is anything else i can do.

Cheers

King Pietersen

International Captain
I was a very similar kind of player, but after practising playing aggressive shots in the nets, it becomes far easier to do it in the middle. That's the key really, just go into the nets and experiment, try and find some shots that you can play which provide you with a boundary option. Your mindset and mentality when batting in limited overs cricket is key too, you have to thinking scoring runs first and only defending and playing out a dot if you really have to. Should always be looking to score runs and rotate the strike if the boundaries aren't there.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I'm exactly the same, I scored **** all this season in 3rd grade as an opening batsmen, only one decent score of 35, in rep I scored a few more, but it's easier. Most times I hung around long enough to score 10-20, but made nothing.

Next season I'm expecting to be more aggressive, as it picked up at the end of last season and hopefully will manage to carry it though next season.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Hey guys.

Um basically i play in a 40 over a side competition coming in at 3. Now i have found that my style is like so defensive its not funny. Like the last two games i have scored 4, and 2 and both times spent about 30-40 minutes at the crease. I block anything on stumps and leave out side off. Now both times i got out is because i got fed up and tried and aggresive shot.

I want to know if there is anything i can to help make my game more aggresive and score runs, or if there is anything else i can do.

Cheers
that actually happened to me in a 35 over game, where we just lost 2 wickets and I was in at 4. I got so nervous that for nearly 20 overs I just blocked every single ball i could find and ended up getting 4 runs. It didn't help that my partner was doing the same and we lost, so try to think of hitting the gaps. It helps alot.

slowfinger

International Debutant
If it's aggressive you are looking to play, then try and hit a couple out the middle for the first few overs, picking up any singles/doubles you van, then build it up, and look to play your strongest shot whenever you can, to build confidence, then when you are comfortable, step up a gear again and start trying to hit them through the gaps a little more untill you can do that, then when you have about 20/30 runs start looking for the 4's and so on. I did that and got 2 fifties in 4 games last season.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
I think there is probably 2 ways to go about it.

The first is that you can look to rotate the strike more. Keep blocking the balls on the stumps but after you have played a few look to push balls that are outside off around. The late cut is effective if there aren't too many slips/gullies or you can push it between two off side fielders and get a fairly easy single. If you keep doing this and rotating the strike the person at the other end can feel free to go for their shots.

On the other side of the coin, go into the nets and practice smashing anything outside off. With practice you will find that it is quite easy to put the ball anywhere between cover and mid on depending on where the fielders are placed. You will get out doing this but you will also score more runs. The straight pull shot is your friend. Also, if you swing hard at the ball and get an edge it is more likely to go over the keeper than if you poke at it.

QuincyNL

Cricket Spectator
I had the same problem a few years ago in the U13's i would only score about 5 runs and stay in 10 overs and then went retired, i was afraid of getting bowled but then i started slogging for fun in the nets and i got good at hitting balls around an then we had a few friendly games and games that i played with my mates, and in those matches i didnt feel the pressure and because it was all for fun i started slogging in those matches, to my surprise i actually mad some runs and the balls i would normally block i now tried to hit fore 6 and sometimes i did but when i missed it it would just pass my stumps so when we started playing serious matches again i was mor confident and i knew that half of the balls i would normally block would pass my stumps so i started playing proper drives and got a few runs as well:D