• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How To Beat Batting Nerves?

King Pietersen

International Captain
I put the majority of batting nerves down to fear of failure. I've only been playing club cricket 3 seasons, and it wasn't until I managed to illeviate that fear of failure that I started feeling comfortable at the crease, and got rid of the nerves before going out to bat. I still get abit nervous when I'm next in, but I think everyone does. Just go out there with the belief that you're good enough, and that even if you fail it doesn't really matter. Certainly has given me the freedom in my strokeplay, and far less anxiety before going out to bat. Good luck!

bryce

International Regular
Almost everyone gets nerves when going out to bat, it is just a question of who lets nerves get to them. You can be as nervous as anything but you've still gotta be watching the ball come out of the bowlers hand every single ball and be ready to move your feet etc...
I think it is just a question of staying on top of your nerves and knowing you are on top of them because after all batting is a battle with the bowlers, not with yourself.

stuartcricket1

Cricket Spectator
I put the majority of batting nerves down to fear of failure. I've only been playing club cricket 3 seasons, and it wasn't until I managed to illeviate that fear of failure that I started feeling comfortable at the crease, and got rid of the nerves before going out to bat. I still get abit nervous when I'm next in, but I think everyone does. Just go out there with the belief that you're good enough, and that even if you fail it doesn't really matter. Certainly has given me the freedom in my strokeplay, and far less anxiety before going out to bat. Good luck!
Hi I think your right there, it is the fear of failure,i worry if i fail more often than not i might get dropped and then not ask to play again! i love playing cricket it took me a few years to even join a club so now i have i dont want to be dropped! i dont know if you know what i mean?

slowfinger

International Debutant
I got really nervous coming out to nets today, and I was really unsure why, because the bowlers weren't particularly fast and I know I can beat them every time. In a match, before you start, talk. Talking releases them nerves and gets yer mates behind your backs and suddenly you feel focused and ready. But don't get so chatty that you just lose all your focus and play a silly shot to get out first ball. It is a good thing to be nervous because it helps you concentrate and then it sets you into a good position to carry on and when you hit some out the middle it feels really good. Then the main thing is just to concentrate all the way through and to keep on going, so if the team needs you, you won't get pressurised too much. If you are afraid of failing, then just keep your eye on the ball for a little while and start playing a 'little' but more aggresive then normal (I am not asking you to slog or hits 4's, just noodle it round the corner, drive a bit etc) and you will suddenly be feeling good and before you actually realise, you will be on 20/30 and the pressure will get right back onto them so you can just carry on playing positive, that is the key though. Positive, stay positive and you will be fine, thanks. :)

King Pietersen

International Captain
Hi I think your right there, it is the fear of failure,i worry if i fail more often than not i might get dropped and then not ask to play again! i love playing cricket it took me a few years to even join a club so now i have i dont want to be dropped! i dont know if you know what i mean?
Definitely know where you're coming from mate. I was in the same situation. I've only been playing for 3 seasons, and I was so desperate to impress and play well that I let it get to me, and stop me from playing my natural game. The only decent innings I played in my first 2 seasons was when I just went out, enjoyed myself and forgot about the fear of failure. Playing club cricket should be fun, and I think you're restricting that if you're worried about failing, just go out, forget about the worries of being dropped, enjoy your batting and express yourself. Good luck!

Dano.85

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I get rid of my nerves by listening to a heavy metal song, i love rock music so i put my fav song on my ipod turn it up and go with the flow ha ha ha, i find it pumps me up and makes me focus, its not for everyone but works for me.

dikinee

I get rid of my nerves by listening to a heavy metal song, i love rock music so i put my fav song on my ipod turn it up and go with the flow ha ha ha, i find it pumps me up and makes me focus, its not for everyone but works for me.
That is actually pretty good advice, not nessecarily metal but music suited to the rythm of your batting technique. Find a song that is the right tempo for you and listen to it before you bat. Have a bit of a dance around to it as well. This will get your footwork moving at the right timing. The earlier you get your feet moving with a good rythm the more successful you will be and as a result the more confident you will be so the nerves will settle as your confidence grows. I`m with Dano I always listen to a bit acdc or something similar just to get the toes moving to a rythm but find the music that suits you.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't play cricket, but this works brilliantly for me before a big soccer match.

Dano.85

That is actually pretty good advice, not nessecarily metal but music suited to the rythm of your batting technique. Find a song that is the right tempo for you and listen to it before you bat. Have a bit of a dance around to it as well. This will get your footwork moving at the right timing. The earlier you get your feet moving with a good rythm the more successful you will be and as a result the more confident you will be so the nerves will settle as your confidence grows. I`m with Dano I always listen to a bit acdc or something similar just to get the toes moving to a rythm but find the music that suits you.
Did not think my type of music would work for everyone ha ha ha. I open the batting for my club so i get about 10 mins to get my pads and that on, i then put some tunes on have a two or three min throwdown, then i take a min to just chill out listen to the music, by the time i get to the middle i am still a little edgey untill i play my first shot and then i settle. Now i am no great batsman but it works for me.

Benaud

Banned
Spray the fatter, uglier members of the fielding team before you've even taken guard. Makes you feel so much better about yourself and that sort of confidence will filter through to your batting.

fros23

Cricket Spectator
When I get nervous do you know what I do? I stop being nervous and be awesome instead.
True story.