• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowling offspin

slowfinger

International Debutant
Hi I'm playing for my district and I bowl offspin. I can't get the ball to spin propperly though and my coach tells me to go over the wicket alot.I'm useless bowling into right handers though as I dont know where to pitch it normally.
Any tips?

Benaud

Banned
Mate if you can't even land your stock off break then keep your attempts to bowl a doosra well at bay. Until you can land your stock ball (which should be a full length just outside off stump), don't try anything else.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Heh, that's what my coach says and I've tried and most of the time the batsman has time to get into the line to play accordingly. Unless I try to force it into him where I force him to play a shot or to leave it. If I land it outside off to a left hander though I can pick up many wickets.

Eds

International Debutant
So you're comfortable bowling to left handers but not right? Just do as much nets as you can against right handers as possible. Just bowl your stock ball over and over until you're really comfortable bowling it to a right hander, and it's working. If it's not working then speak to your coach again, and he will tell you what and how you need to improve. Once you've got your stock ball pretty much perfect to the right hander, try and develop one variation ball. And get that process keep going until you have plenty of variation. Variation is what gets batsmen out tbh.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Thanks, will do. I try to go to the nets 3/4 days a week in the summer and now winter nets are coming so I will be doing about 2 a week. I will try to bowl my stock as much as I can untill I can get it right and try to get that outside off stump delivery as my stock.

BTW Akso I don't get much bounce, usually making me bowl fuller and the risk of getting driven but I can't get it to rise to people on a normal wicket. Any tips on bounce?

Eds

International Debutant
Thanks, will do. I try to go to the nets 3/4 days a week in the summer and now winter nets are coming so I will be doing about 2 a week. I will try to bowl my stock as much as I can untill I can get it right and try to get that outside off stump delivery as my stock.

BTW Akso I don't get much bounce, usually making me bowl fuller and the risk of getting driven but I can't get it to rise to people on a normal wicket. Any tips on bounce?
You'll get driven a fair amount as an offspinner anyway, and it's not completely a bad thing. You'll probably get a fair amount of your wickets from batsmen getting their drives wrong. I'm a leggie myself, and get naturally alot of bounce, so I'm not too sure what you could do to get a bit more bounce. Just make sure you've got the right grip. You want the seam across in your hand, if that makes sense. Then you want to deliver the ball so that it lands with the seam hitting the floor. That's how I get my bounce as a leggie, and the same applied for off spinners, really.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Yeah I tried to bowl with the seam across but sometimes it hangs in the pitch and I can't get the most out of the delivery. I normally try to bowl with the seam tight up straight (well not straight-only just like 10 degrees slant) or rip the ball 45 degrees and that is what I do and it works some times. I also tried to bend my back a little but it really strained it bad and it didn't make too much of a difference, so should I try to get more flight or just stick to my stock delivery with my action tweaked a lil'?

Eds

International Debutant
Yeah I tried to bowl with the seam across but sometimes it hangs in the pitch and I can't get the most out of the delivery. I normally try to bowl with the seam tight up straight (well not straight-only just like 10 degrees slant) or rip the ball 45 degrees and that is what I do and it works some times. I also tried to bend my back a little but it really strained it bad and it didn't make too much of a difference, so should I try to get more flight or just stick to my stock delivery with my action tweaked a lil'?
I'm not an offspinning expert myself, and I haven't seen your stock ball or bowling at all, so I can't really judge whether you need more flight or not. If you aren't getting enough bounce, also try and overspin it.

Stick to your stock delivery for a while and see how that works. If it isn't working try talking to your coach and see what he reckons you can do. Then tweak it accordingly and work with it till it's perfect.

slowfinger

International Debutant
I'm not an offspinning expert myself, and I haven't seen your stock ball or bowling at all, so I can't really judge whether you need more flight or not. If you aren't getting enough bounce, also try and overspin it.

Stick to your stock delivery for a while and see how that works. If it isn't working try talking to your coach and see what he reckons you can do. Then tweak it accordingly and work with it till it's perfect.
Thanks for the info, I'll just work on it or have a word with my coach and hopefully get it right before summer starts to get it right, shouldn't be a major issue by the end of the winter and I should be able to work on my variations by the time summer starts :).

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year

first of all, bowling off spin to RHB is a challenge. Accept that, and accept that you'll be smoked few times as well. Classic spin through the gate dismissals are rare and far apart at least in the part of world i am from. most dismissals are mis hits to mid on, mid wicket or failed sweeps.

The spot to land depends on how much you spin. If you give it a serious rip (like Swann or Harbhajan), then ball the attacking line of off breaks (looking for bowled, stumpled and catch at slip), which is 6-12 inches outside off with plenty of variation of flight and speed. And to succeed you need a good arm ball as well.

If you spin it a little (like Suraj Randiv) then the line should be wicket to wicket looking for the lbw and the close catch on the leg side (the defensive style of off spin). Here also suble changes of pace and flight and use of the crease. just watch these three off spinners, and you can learn a lot from their approach.

Then develop the arm ball( who cares about the doosra?) so it drifts away from RHB. You can bowl that closer to the stumps as well.

slowfinger

International Debutant
first of all, bowling off spin to RHB is a challenge. Accept that, and accept that you'll be smoked few times as well. Classic spin through the gate dismissals are rare and far apart at least in the part of world i am from. most dismissals are mis hits to mid on, mid wicket or failed sweeps.

The spot to land depends on how much you spin. If you give it a serious rip (like Swann or Harbhajan), then ball the attacking line of off breaks (looking for bowled, stumpled and catch at slip), which is 6-12 inches outside off with plenty of variation of flight and speed. And to succeed you need a good arm ball as well.

If you spin it a little (like Suraj Randiv) then the line should be wicket to wicket looking for the lbw and the close catch on the leg side (the defensive style of off spin). Here also suble changes of pace and flight and use of the crease. just watch these three off spinners, and you can learn a lot from their approach.

Then develop the arm ball( who cares about the doosra?) so it drifts away from RHB. You can bowl that closer to the stumps as well.
Okay thanks for the help and yes, my main strategy is wicket to wicket bowling with pace variation as the key. Ripping the ball isn't my strength so I have to focus on bowling accurate and often, when and untill I learn that will I go to stuff like my arm ball and trying to rip it more.

Lee1981

Cricket Spectator
Does your follow through with your arm and driving your leg through help you spin the ball more, or is all based on what you do with your fingers?

I have a very random action right now, and i lose my it very quickly if i start bowling badly. When im bowling in the indoor nets i can sometimes turn it a good 10 inches or so, would you say on that basis i could get some decent turn out in the middle or does the indoor mat have no bearing on my abilities to spin the ball.
I have pretty much no experience of bowling in a match.

Nice to meet you all by the way.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Does your follow through with your arm and driving your leg through help you spin the ball more, or is all based on what you do with your fingers?

I have a very random action right now, and i lose my it very quickly if i start bowling badly. When im bowling in the indoor nets i can sometimes turn it a good 10 inches or so, would you say on that basis i could get some decent turn out in the middle or does the indoor mat have no bearing on my abilities to spin the ball.
I have pretty much no experience of bowling in a match.

Nice to meet you all by the way.
Quite same at the moment, I have a Saeed Ajmal action sometimes, Graeme Swanne some others. I try just to be consistent but I can't seem to find that lethal delivery that no-one can play. I don't want to be average, I want to be so much more. And I was towards the end of last season. But the nets aren't encouraging, I need to create a magical delivery because my stock delivery (6 inch outside off) is just too easy to play.. I feel like slogging myself.

ringo1968

Cricket Spectator
I have just begun indoor nets and am trying to bowl off-spin so i can contribute to sunday friendly games. I am getting an hours proper coaching tomorrow which i have never had which should help. I am trying to figure out exactly how to put revolutions on the ball.

Lee1981

Cricket Spectator
I have just begun indoor nets and am trying to bowl off-spin so i can contribute to sunday friendly games. I am getting an hours proper coaching tomorrow which i have never had which should help. I am trying to figure out exactly how to put revolutions on the ball.
Ive always been advised to not worry about the accuracy but just try and spin it as much as possible, that involves rolling your index finger over the seam as hard as you can,like turning a door knob as they say.
I find it easy to just spin the ball in my hand in my build up to my run up but then when i got to put it all together i sometimes rip it out or i forget and just release with no spin as im to busy trying to land it in the right spot.

cnerd123

likes this
Nice to see you here as well Lee :D

My follow through tends to help with the speed which I release the ball, and not so much the spin. I was told to have a follow through by our coach sometime last sem, because what I used to do was just amble in and toss the ball up with some spin.

The follow through hasn't effected how much I spin the ball (atleast I don't think it has), but it helps me bowl quicker and hit the pitch harder. So you get more out of the surface.

Spinners do bowl surprisingly quick and club level and higher. You need to be in the mid/high 70s atleast, since bowling in the 60s will get you thwacked. And guys at international level rip it at 80ks.

Some useful vids I found on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AnKjSGaOCA

Panesar basically showing how to bowl the ball quicker, using your whole upper body and not just your arms or shoulders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOcCpcEEoLg

Vaughan on how to get the pivot going on the front foot.

They both are basically doing the same thing, but explained in two difficult ways, which help understand how to try it.

The way Vaughan grips and releases the ball is pretty similar to how I do it too.

Last edited:

ringo1968

Cricket Spectator
Yes- trying to incorporate a proper follow through is a problem as well, i just seem to stop when delivering the ball, something to work on.

Lee1981

Cricket Spectator
Had some indoor nets last night,

I made an effort to really try and put a good follow through into my action and also to try and rip te ball more, i have to say i did all that suprisingly well, managed to get a couple of deliveries to turn miles and the rest with a decent amount of spin.

Im not sure what that was totaly down to wether it was me just trying to spin it more or my follow through that isnt always there was a help to.

I listened to you ***** and bowled a bit quicker and it didnt affect my spin either which is a good sign.

All in all the best ive bowled ever i would say.