• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowling offspin

Lee1981

Cricket Spectator
Got nets again tomorrow night but there is more of us there on a thursday so cant get as much rythm as i do on a tuesday,

I find i start a bit slowly but once i find my rythm i need to keep bowling ball after ball.

ringo1968

Cricket Spectator
As i have small hands i find the best way is to grip the ball with the seam pointing slightly towards leg slip, 1st finger gripping outside of seam, 2nd finger on the smooth part, and then try to turn my whole hand violently clockwise with index finger pulling down, around a braced leg. As i'm a beginner it is quite hard-tougher than i realised. I always believed off-spin would be 'easy'.

cnerd123

likes this
Offspin and Medium pace are still easier than legbreaks or bowling fast.

Getting wickets with them is another thing altogether.

Julian87

State Captain
Spinners bowling faster is a bit of a myth I reckon. Carters going from Canberra to keeping to Vettori and not believing how slow he bowled.

Lee1981

Cricket Spectator
I dont think bowling offies is that difficult in theory but when you have to put all aspects together thats where the difficulty is found, i sometimes forget to rip it as much as i can as im worrying to much about landing it where i want.

As they say practice makes perfect.

cnerd123

likes this
Spinners bowling faster is a bit of a myth I reckon. Carters going from Canberra to keeping to Vettori and not believing how slow he bowled.
You need some speed. Bowling in the 70s I figure is fine, but if you're consistently in the 60s or lower, you give the batsmen too much time to wind up, get to the pitch of the ball, and smack you.

Part of the reason those joke or declaration bowlers get smashed by tailenders. They bowl it so slow, not just wayward. If speed wasn't an issue they wouldn't be taken apart so much.

ringo1968

Cricket Spectator
How do you bowl finger spin as quickly as 1st class players? Is it a question of fast arm rotation as well as trying to rip the ball down one side? Sounds tough. At the moment i just want to SPIN the ball full stop.

cnerd123

likes this
Lol. Just work on your release and ripping it as much as you can.

I have no clue how the FC cricketers do it. My guess is fast arm + full upper body rotation + pivot off the front foot + follow through.

Lee1981

Cricket Spectator
How do you bowl finger spin as quickly as 1st class players? Is it a question of fast arm rotation as well as trying to rip the ball down one side? Sounds tough. At the moment i just want to SPIN the ball full stop.
Just really concentrate on spinning the ball, if you manage to land it in good spot its a bonus, my accuracy has improved so much in a matter of 5-6 net sessions, just hope i can turn it on a real wicket as i do on the indoor one,

ringo1968

Cricket Spectator
Just really concentrate on spinning the ball, if you manage to land it in good spot its a bonus, my accuracy has improved so much in a matter of 5-6 net sessions, just hope i can turn it on a real wicket as i do on the indoor one,
I have just had some coaching for the first time ever!! Went through the basic action this week without trying to spin the ball. I was doing a few things wrong. I am trying to land on the ball of my foot and bowl around a braced left leg and a follow through. Next week we move onto spin!! Can you employ different grips to suit differing hand sizes?

cnerd123

likes this
You can grip it how you feel comfortable.

Had practice today, tried to rip it as much as I could, got no spin. Bleh. Spent the day trying to spin it as much as mossible.

I got some pace and accuracy was wayward, but I put that down to trying to find out how to make the damn ball turn.

I blame the pitch :p

Lee1981

Cricket Spectator
Had practice today, tried to rip it as much as I could, got no spin. I blame the pitch :p
As i would to lol.

Go back to basics if you could spin before there is no reason why you wont grasp it again.

I see on planet cricket you said you only previously managed to spin a tape ball, it seems that maybe a tape ball does not reflect someones real abilty to spin a real cricket ball, obviously the tape ball can make people look like swanny...

Last edited:

Lee1981

Cricket Spectator
Bowled pretty good at nets last night again, still struggle to get my rythm going early first few balls were there normal rubbish self then all of a sudden it just clicks.
Managing to spin the ball more regulary now which is good, just need to land it outside the line of off stump a bit more i tend to bowl a bit straight some balls and when they turn can spin past leg but in general im pretty pleased.
And the lads reckon i'll definately get some decent turn out on a real wicket, an answer ive wanted to hear for a while.