• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joining a gym

Howzatone

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hi there,

I'm 16 years old, pretty much 6ft 1, maybe a little under, and am pretty lanky for my height, bit of muscle in my arms (which are very long) but hardly anything.

I'm attempting to try and become a decent fast bowler, with trying to bowl quick being one of my main aims, I'm a decent pace now, but pretty much medium. I'd also like to become able to hit a few more sixes, as, despite being quite a free scoring batsman I've never actually hit a six.

So, I was wondering what kinda stuff in the gym you'd recommend for me to do in the UK off-season? (I'll be going to the gym around two times a week).

Thanks.

Seanyjb10

If you want to improve your speed the fly would be good excercise. it helps your pecks and a little bit of your shoulder 2. Concentrate on that sort of area as that is crucial to a cricketer.

Work on your legs as well for runninig in as well.

Hitting sixes isn't always about power if you time the ball right and it hit's the middle, then it's your lucky day!!

hope i help

Howzatone

If you want to improve your speed the fly would be good excercise. it helps your pecks and a little bit of your shoulder 2. Concentrate on that sort of area as that is crucial to a cricketer.

Work on your legs as well for runninig in as well.

Hitting sixes isn't always about power if you time the ball right and it hit's the middle, then it's your lucky day!!

hope i help
Cheers, but what do you mean by the fly? What kinda machine is that?

iamdavid

International Debutant
I'm going to have to disagree with the above advice, the fly is an isolation exercise and you won't get the maximum "bang for your buck" so to speak in terms on muscle stimulation and strength gains. If you're training primarily to improve for a sport and to gain strength then you want to concentrate on compound multi-joint movements (eg: chinups, squats, benchpress), as these movements involve several different muscle groups in moving and stabilizing the weight.

You also want a balanced weight training program rather than concentrating on making one or two muscle groups stronger (eg shoulders and pecs).

I'm a fast bowler and this is the sort of thing I'd follow in the off season, assuming you train 3 days a week (I do 4 days per week but I'm 21 and I've been using weights for a few years so I'd suggest you just do 2 or 3 days per week to start with).

Workout A
Bench Press
Squats
Shoulder Press
Dips
Some light calf work

Workout B
Pullups
Stiff Legged Deadlifts
Rows (using either a Dumbell or barbell)
Barbell Bicep Curls
Some light ab work

You could alternate the sessions going three days per week -

Mon: A
Wed: B
Fri: A

Mon: B
Tue: A
Wed: B

micoach

Solid advice from iamdavid.

I would add that at 16 it's all about getting into good habits: proper technique. Don't worry too much about how much weight is on the bar, just keep adding weight while maintaining technique.

Work around 5-10 reps per set and get the basics perfect. That will stand you in good stead for a long, injury free career.

Seanyjb10

The fly is the machine that works the pecks.

Il add a pic.
Pectoral-Fly-open[1].jpg

And fair enough iamdavid as you seem 2 know more that me!!

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
In general, with weight training, it's vital that you eat right. Good healthy diet and excess calories = more muscle.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gotta add the general warning here about over-training a developing body with weights.

At 16 you've got a long time to go, so just make sure you get the techniques right - absolutely vital. Really try to avoid the trick most of us have fallen for at some time or the other in trying to emulate the massive bloke next to you who's lifting mega-weights.

In all honesty, for your chest I'd emphasise the push ups rather than benching big weights. Better endurance, you still get good strength gains and if you want to show off, punching out 4 sets of 40-50 push ups is a nice way to do it :).

micoach

Ot even better, do both. Improve strength with the bench and improve stabilisers with the push up.

Balance out both with some upper body pulling (chin ups, rows) and shoulder stabilising exercises and you are golden.

janicejryan

Cricket Spectator
1. Aerobics twice a week for 45 to 60 mins. This helps your heart get a steady work out, aside from your body, and allows you to practice concentration.

2. Do weights to develop your muscles.
- Single Arm Triceps Pullover
- Lateral Pull Downs
- Inclined bench (30°)
- Bench Fly's
- Rear Deltoid Pull

3. Use the Swiss Ball or Medicine Ball for your oblique and abdominal muscles.

Good luck to you mate!

micoach

1. Aerobics twice a week for 45 to 60 mins. This helps your heart get a steady work out, aside from your body, and allows you to practice concentration.

2. Do weights to develop your muscles.
- Single Arm Triceps Pullover
- Lateral Pull Downs
- Inclined bench (30°)
- Bench Fly's
- Rear Deltoid Pull
While I agree that a good level of strength and endurance is vital whatever level cricket you play, I would be reluctant to use that particular method. For me it's not cricket specific enough (and also 60 minutes of aerobics is my idea of hell!)

I wrote a bit about it here: Get the upper hand: How you can use strength training to get more runs and wickets | Cricket coaching, fitness and tips

Abner12

Cricket Spectator
Hi,

The things i personally want to include in healthy diet are try to drink more water,Eat fruits and drink fruit juices,Take leafy vegetables..Try to lessen oil usage in food...

Thank you