Thread: Joining a gym

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

Joining a gym

Hi there,

I'm 16 years old, pretty much 6ft 1, maybe a little under, and am pretty lanky for my height, bit of muscle in my arms (which are very long) but hardly anything.

I'm attempting to try and become a decent fast bowler, with trying to bowl quick being one of my main aims, I'm a decent pace now, but pretty much medium. I'd also like to become able to hit a few more sixes, as, despite being quite a free scoring batsman I've never actually hit a six.

So, I was wondering what kinda stuff in the gym you'd recommend for me to do in the UK off-season? (I'll be going to the gym around two times a week).

Thanks.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Seanyjb10's Avatar

Icon3

If you want to improve your speed the fly would be good excercise. it helps your pecks and a little bit of your shoulder 2. Concentrate on that sort of area as that is crucial to a cricketer.

Work on your legs as well for runninig in as well.

Hitting sixes isn't always about power if you time the ball right and it hit's the middle, then it's your lucky day!!

hope i help

Quote Originally Posted by Seanyjb10 View Post
    If you want to improve your speed the fly would be good excercise. it helps your pecks and a little bit of your shoulder 2. Concentrate on that sort of area as that is crucial to a cricketer.

Work on your legs as well for runninig in as well.

Hitting sixes isn't always about power if you time the ball right and it hit's the middle, then it's your lucky day!!

hope i help
    Cheers, but what do you mean by the fly? What kinda machine is that?

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    I'm going to have to disagree with the above advice, the fly is an isolation exercise and you won't get the maximum "bang for your buck" so to speak in terms on muscle stimulation and strength gains. If you're training primarily to improve for a sport and to gain strength then you want to concentrate on compound multi-joint movements (eg: chinups, squats, benchpress), as these movements involve several different muscle groups in moving and stabilizing the weight.

You also want a balanced weight training program rather than concentrating on making one or two muscle groups stronger (eg shoulders and pecs).

I'm a fast bowler and this is the sort of thing I'd follow in the off season, assuming you train 3 days a week (I do 4 days per week but I'm 21 and I've been using weights for a few years so I'd suggest you just do 2 or 3 days per week to start with).

Workout A
    Bench Press
    Squats
    Shoulder Press
    Dips
    Some light calf work

Workout B
    Pullups
    Stiff Legged Deadlifts
    Rows (using either a Dumbell or barbell)
    Barbell Bicep Curls
    Some light ab work

You could alternate the sessions going three days per week -

Mon: A
    Wed: B
    Fri: A

Mon: B
    Tue: A
    Wed: B

School Boy/Girl Cricketer micoach's Avatar
    Solid advice from iamdavid.

I would add that at 16 it's all about getting into good habits: proper technique. Don't worry too much about how much weight is on the bar, just keep adding weight while maintaining technique.

Work around 5-10 reps per set and get the basics perfect. That will stand you in good stead for a long, injury free career.
    Online coaching at PitchVision Academy

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Seanyjb10's Avatar
    The fly is the machine that works the pecks.

Il add a pic.
    Pectoral-Fly-open[1].jpg

And fair enough iamdavid as you seem 2 know more that me!!
    Last edited by Seanyjb10; 02-12-2009 at 12:01 PM.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    In general, with weight training, it's vital that you eat right. Good healthy diet and excess calories = more muscle.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Gotta add the general warning here about over-training a developing body with weights.

At 16 you've got a long time to go, so just make sure you get the techniques right - absolutely vital. Really try to avoid the trick most of us have fallen for at some time or the other in trying to emulate the massive bloke next to you who's lifting mega-weights.

In all honesty, for your chest I'd emphasise the push ups rather than benching big weights. Better endurance, you still get good strength gains and if you want to show off, punching out 4 sets of 40-50 push ups is a nice way to do it .
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Ot even better, do both. Improve strength with the bench and improve stabilisers with the push up.

Balance out both with some upper body pulling (chin ups, rows) and shoulder stabilising exercises and you are golden.

What kind of things would you suggest is a healthy diet?

Quote Originally Posted by Howzatone View Post
    What kind of things would you suggest is a healthy diet?
    Whole foods: plenty of fruit and vegetables, lean unprocessed meat and nuts.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by micoach View Post
    Whole foods: plenty of fruit and vegetables, lean unprocessed meat and nuts.
    yes what he said is good diet. And fresh juice without ice is too good. While doing gym boiled egg also a good diet,,,,

Cricket Spectator
    1. Aerobics twice a week for 45 to 60 mins. This helps your heart get a steady work out, aside from your body, and allows you to practice concentration.

2. Do weights to develop your muscles.
    - Single Arm Triceps Pullover
    - Lateral Pull Downs
    - Inclined bench (30)
    - Bench Fly's
    - Rear Deltoid Pull

3. Use the Swiss Ball or Medicine Ball for your oblique and abdominal muscles.

Good luck to you mate!

Quote Originally Posted by janicejryan View Post
    1. Aerobics twice a week for 45 to 60 mins. This helps your heart get a steady work out, aside from your body, and allows you to practice concentration.

2. Do weights to develop your muscles.
    - Single Arm Triceps Pullover
    - Lateral Pull Downs
    - Inclined bench (30)
    - Bench Fly's
    - Rear Deltoid Pull
    While I agree that a good level of strength and endurance is vital whatever level cricket you play, I would be reluctant to use that particular method. For me it's not cricket specific enough (and also 60 minutes of aerobics is my idea of hell!)

I wrote a bit about it here: Get the upper hand: How you can use strength training to get more runs and wickets | Cricket coaching, fitness and tips

Cricket Spectator
    Hi,

The things i personally want to include in healthy diet are try to drink more water,Eat fruits and drink fruit juices,Take leafy vegetables..Try to lessen oil usage in food...

Thank you

Thread Information