• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

trigger movements

chyickenkeev

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
hi, im a decent middle order batsman, usualy 5, 4 if im lucky. my coach said to me one training session, "louis, u av potential mate", i asked him how i oculd unlock this potential, as i had learnt the fundamentals by the book.
he mentioned breifly about triggewr movements but he didnt giv an in detail decription of the most useful.
i have trauled the internet, and the tv for triggers of batting superstars.

i have found a few which may be useful
the jonathon trott, back foot across to off stump, place front foot down slightly ahead of the back foot.

the michael vaighan, front foot opens first with a small press forward and back foot back and across slightly to off stump

the pieterson, the front foot presses down bofroe the ball is delivered, the same as ponting.

which onewould be more usefull?

any new ideas are welcome.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I know this sounds vague, but it all comes down to personal preference, what comes naturally and what gets you into the right position to play the ball. I don't really have a trigger movement, but I try to get forward as much as possible and then rock back from there if needed.

Just don't do a Katich.

chyickenkeev

right, iv decided to adopt a back and across trigger

back foot back and across, front foot pressed forward just before ball is delivered, it should work, because im always look to go on the front foot but if its short i can deal with it in an orthodox fashion.

Benaud

Banned
I know this sounds vague, but it all comes down to personal preference, what comes naturally and what gets you into the right position to play the ball. I don't really have a trigger movement, but I try to get forward as much as possible and then rock back from there if needed.

Just don't do a Katich.
Why not? If he does a Katich then maybe he might average 45 in test cricket one day. Do a Katich lad!

Seanyjb10

Personally Katichs trigger looks awful but it works 4 him so try anything until u try the right thing.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Vaughans forward press is ideal against spin, especially on those dicey early season wickets, you dont want to be hanging back too much..

Personally I've found that quite an excessive back and across movement forces me to get in position, kind of like a right handed Katich, but I only do that against quick bowling

DingDong

State Captain
best trigger movement imo is to get into crane stance (like the one they show in karate kid) while the bowler is just about to release ok.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Vaughans forward press is ideal against spin, especially on those dicey early season wickets, you dont want to be hanging back too much..
Hmm, to an extent. The best players of spin stay as still as possible, with maybe the most slight of slight forward presses. Vaughan's large forward press often didn't allow him to get right back in his crease to play the spin, unlike someone like Dravid who ends up right on his stumps when playing off the back foot.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
LOL settle down tough guy.

As i've told you before, if you're not gonna reply to the original topic then don't reply at all. Otherwise expect a ban.
Leave the moderating to the mods thanks. It's also worth noting you should be the last person lecturing others on forum ethics/behaviour.

DingDong

State Captain
Leave the moderating to the mods thanks. It's also worth noting you should be the last person lecturing others on forum ethics/behaviour.
benaud was banned over that post?? thats being silly ok. he was a really good poster.

bryce

International Regular
My first movement when batting is usually towards the pavilion.
:laugh:

Depends what best counters your negative natural movements. I was being watched by one of our rep batsman and he noticed my back foot going away from the stumps as I prepared to play the ball. So he suggested a trigger movement of across in front of middle then forward. Next game played faultless 40 odd not out off about 20 balls(then followed by a couple of failures on our home pictch which is a notoriusly green seamer, lol)

chyickenkeev

right, thaniks for posting all, some funny and helpfull stuff, but this site called pitchvision has got this tutorial on triggers, and they say back and across with the back foot is good for weak back foot players, like me. so il go for that

slowfinger

International Debutant
I normally try not to trigger but I can't help moving either my front foot slightly forward or my back foot sidewards a bit? Should I have posted this on a new thread? Sorry anyways.