• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Protecting your shins during fielding?

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Hi guys,

I have the following question and I hope you can provide me with some good advice/ tips.
I’m a rather tall player and sometimes I have the nasty habit of stopping shots with my feet ( while fielding) which sometimes results in an up bouncing ball smashing my shin –bone.

As I had a open leg fracture while being a kid ( the victim of a traffic accident) my left leg is still sensitive and I try to avoid cricket balls bouncing to it.

So I decided to where Shin protectors. My dad, who’s a soccer coach, gave me a pair of shin protectors. Last weekend I was fielding and a ball came to my legs, as it came pretty hard I decided not to bend and try to stop it ( just to protect my knee) so the ball hit my shine protector, broke it, and I ended up with a massive brose on my left leg.

So, how do you guys protect your legs/ shines during fielding?

thnx

King Pietersen

International Captain
By stopping the ball with my hands......

Seriously, you can use Shin Pads if you want. Few of the older fellas in my team wear shin pads in the field. If you're that worried about getting hit on the shin then get yourself a pair.

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
I already wear have them, but broke them in the first game I wore them.
95% of the time I use my hands but sometimes when our skipper puts me to close to the pitch I'm just not fast enough to catch the ball with my hands.

Will practise on it.

Jakester1288

International Regular
If you are only using them for fielding in close, get yourself a pair of Aero pads, or wicketkeeping pads. They will do the job better than shin pads.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hi guys,

I have the following question and I hope you can provide me with some good advice/ tips.
I’m a rather tall player and sometimes I have the nasty habit of stopping shots with my feet ( while fielding) which sometimes results in an up bouncing ball smashing my shin –bone.

As I had a open leg fracture while being a kid ( the victim of a traffic accident) my left leg is still sensitive and I try to avoid cricket balls bouncing to it.

So I decided to where Shin protectors. My dad, who’s a soccer coach, gave me a pair of shin protectors. Last weekend I was fielding and a ball came to my legs, as it came pretty hard I decided not to bend and try to stop it ( just to protect my knee) so the ball hit my shine protector, broke it, and I ended up with a massive brose on my left leg.

So, how do you guys protect your legs/ shines during fielding?

thnx
Stop the ball with your hands. You'll get killed by a bowler when you miss one eventually.

If you're in close you can use a combination of hands, shins, elbows, chest and teeth.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Use the ones that the international short legs have. They sure as well won't break and they'd probably be pretty easy to run in as well. I think Aero ones would be the best.

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Obviously :), but as there are no cricket stores in Belgium.
there's a big change I might order them online while batting I use the gear of my club, which is a plethora of brands.

So if somebody has some good experiences with a brand?

Jakester1288

International Regular
When talking about Aero pads, the brand is actually Aero. They are for fielding and the bigger ones for batting. We meant get the smaller, fielding ones, that you put under your whites.

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Would it be possible to post a link?

My internet at home is really really slow as my brother had to upload and download huge files and now it takes ages to open sites, now I'm in school so would be more easier if I could use a link to check the gear out.

Thanks

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
I know what you mean, but when playing league games you need to block as many runs as possible :happy:

That's why I will buy some areopads in December. :)

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Sure mate, however my UK trip has been postponed as the Eurostar canceled most of it trains last due to the heavy snow fall.

So might buy them before the start of the season.

slowfinger

International Debutant
I already wear have them, but broke them in the first game I wore them.
95% of the time I use my hands but sometimes when our skipper puts me to close to the pitch I'm just not fast enough to catch the ball with my hands.

Will practise on it.
We gotta take it like men I guess :dry:

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
True, but my left shine is rather weak as I had an open tibia fracture when I was 12. The piece of metal they stuck in it has been removed but still, stopping cricket balls with it isn't the best idea of the day.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Aye. Best not expose it too much, but mind you why are you always close in fielding then?Shouldn't you be fielding from a distance?

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
We use a rotation systeem. The only position I never stand is first slip. But this season I actually got a lot of balls while fielding at mid-wicket.