• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Captaincy

Jakester1288

International Regular
Yes, another captaincy thread.

Well, now, I'm having massive second thoughts about captaining my school side. I don't know whether to do it or just be a player. I don't really know much about setting fields, but the rest I know what's going on.

So, should I captain, and how can I set fields successfully?

kp4captain

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
If you don't know the first thing about the batsman, set a regulation field, 5/4 or 6/3, cover mid off etc. If you see the batsmen doing things such as hitting in a particular area or walking across their stumps, move a fielder either to stop them doing it, or encourage them to do it more.
An example is when Shah came in to bat the other day Australia had no mid-on or midwicket and got Shah walking across his stumps.
Also, act on your instinct. It's a bit like bowling, knowing when to try something different.
I've been a vice-captain before, but I would have loved to have been the captain, so you should definetly do it

kingkallis

International Coach
Pretty handy tips...

I would advice you to watch Stephen Fleming, Hansie Cronje, Mark Taylor's fielding settings, find some old videos and watch them!

I have captained my school site and most of the time we dont know the batting style or strength of the new team we play @ school level...

In such situations I would adjust fields according to my bowler's strength. It worked most of the time.

Jakester1288

International Regular
If you don't know the first thing about the batsman, set a regulation field, 5/4 or 6/3, cover mid off etc. If you see the batsmen doing things such as hitting in a particular area or walking across their stumps, move a fielder either to stop them doing it, or encourage them to do it more.
An example is when Shah came in to bat the other day Australia had no mid-on or midwicket and got Shah walking across his stumps.
Also, act on your instinct. It's a bit like bowling, knowing when to try something different.
I've been a vice-captain before, but I would have loved to have been the captain, so you should definetly do it
Thanks.

So starting with:

Slip
Gully
Point
Cover
Mid off
Mid on
Midwicket
Square leg
Fine leg

Good? If he's getting edges, remove someone where he's not really hitting and bring in another slip?

Cheers.

chyickenkeev

well, i captained my school team. we had our best ever season. at club and school level, you want to bring the stumps into play with the fast bowlers, dont bother with all this nonsense with catching him at slip, just try and bowl him.

i did not have any spinners on my side, so no advice there im sorry.

also, choke off the batsmans runs. i had many fielders around mid on, mid off and cover, this choked off the runs as the bowlers bowled jsut at the stumps.

also, get to knwo your players, i found m batsmen operated better with me when we were talking not as cricketers, but as mates when we met in the middle.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks.

So starting with:

Slip
Gully
Point
Cover
Mid off
Mid on
Midwicket
Square leg
Fine leg

Good? If he's getting edges, remove someone where he's not really hitting and bring in another slip?

Cheers.
Got to be honest with you, I dont think 5-4 is any type of field. It is a field for bad bowling and no plan. By trying to cover the entilre field you are not protecting anywhere.

I believe it starts with the bowlers. If the bowlers are too young then talk to the coach. Bowlers know where they are most likely to go for runs and where they are most likely to take wickets. They know their usual line of attack and where runs are typically scored and where wickets are taken and you should adjust your field to suit your bowler. Then adjust depending on what the batsman is trying to do.

For example, if asked what the one position would save me the most runs I would say deep backwards point or 3rd man. If I was to be asked what positions do captains try and set for me that are pretty useless then I would say fine leg or mid-on. I know for myself (and you, the bowler or your coach should know) where the ball is likely to go for each bowler.

Most bowlers (of a certain standard) should look to bowl to a 6-3 (and occasionally 7-2). A 5-4 field is a comprimised field.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Thanks for the tips everyone, I've taken some of them on board. Assuming this rain stops, I'm playing this match tomorrow, really excited for it.

chyickenkeev

good on u mate, just remember, keep your cool,

and one more of my never ending list of tips

wen your waiting to bat, dont say anything about the conditions of the pitch, the amount the ball is seaming/spinning/swinging. it will just make the next batsmen nervouse.

and good luck

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Got to be honest with you, I dont think 5-4 is any type of field. It is a field for bad bowling and no plan. By trying to cover the entilre field you are not protecting anywhere.

I believe it starts with the bowlers. If the bowlers are too young then talk to the coach. Bowlers know where they are most likely to go for runs and where they are most likely to take wickets. They know their usual line of attack and where runs are typically scored and where wickets are taken and you should adjust your field to suit your bowler. Then adjust depending on what the batsman is trying to do.

For example, if asked what the one position would save me the most runs I would say deep backwards point or 3rd man. If I was to be asked what positions do captains try and set for me that are pretty useless then I would say fine leg or mid-on. I know for myself (and you, the bowler or your coach should know) where the ball is likely to go for each bowler.

Most bowlers (of a certain standard) should look to bowl to a 6-3 (and occasionally 7-2). A 5-4 field is a comprimised field.
I agree with pretty much all of that (although I reckon that bowling full and straight in one day cricket to a 5-4 has its merits, providing a bit of protection at mid-wicket etc.).

However, pretty sure here that Jakester's playing U/14s or so. There will always be a couple of ordinary bowlers in your team at that standard, and there is often still the need to "give everyone a go". So what Goughy says applies to the better bowlers in your side, but I'd be prepared to have more protection for your lesser bowlers.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I agree with pretty much all of that (although I reckon that bowling full and straight in one day cricket to a 5-4 has its merits, providing a bit of protection at mid-wicket etc.).

However, pretty sure here that Jakester's playing U/14s or so. There will always be a couple of ordinary bowlers in your team at that standard, and there is often still the need to "give everyone a go". So what Goughy says applies to the better bowlers in your side, but I'd be prepared to have more protection for your lesser bowlers.
I'm playing U/14s for my school team, I don't play juniors on weekend, except 14's rep, and then seniors (3rd grade). I'm playing for my school cus I have a chance to play with all my mates and captain and play juniors again etc.