• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First game as captain

kuranui

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
hi all,

next tuesday ( its friday today) my school is having cricket team trials, and its generally accepted that i am to be captain of the 2nd's. Now this poses a bit of a problem for me, as i have never captained before, and that weekend we are having a 2 day match against the 1st's.

The 1st's are considerably stronger than us, with having true strike bowlers, very skilled batsman, and the 2nd's are far from their level, with maybe 2 really good batman, and an unbelieveable leg and off spinner. Also no dedicated keeper.

Has anyone got some advice for me as a captain, and how i can make this game not make my team look so bad?

Cheers

jonny1408

School Boy/Girl Captain
General tip for captaincy - try stay 2/3 overs ahead of the game regarding bowling changes
Be brave, but not stupid, take risks, try make them calculated risks, you never know one of them might not just pay off

kuranui

we got smashed today, bowled them out for 215, we got all bowled out for about 60. i got stranded wth no battng partners (came in at 4) and scored 35no

kuranui

had a huge improvement today. manage to bat it out for the draw. had 1 player get a century, and a another a half century. i batted out 3 and a half hours, holding the team together. Batting like im playing a test is awesome lol

kuranui

Good stuff, how many did you make?[/QUOTE

35 i think. was blocking pretty much everything on stumps and leaving anything outside off alone, decided that was the way the team needed me to bat to get the draw, and it turned out right.

kingkallis

International Coach
Dont take it lightly, if you have it in you! I used to play the whole days without giving uo when I was your age.

Nowadays its considred Kallis style so my teammates makes me play SRT style :D

chyickenkeev

mate, i captained a team, in wales

u can imagine the sortof team i had.
out of 11
i had 3 CLUB players.
u need 5 bowlers
im a batsman, IM NOT MEANT TO BOWL
my mate is a bowler, HES MEANT TO BE AT NUMBER 8, HE HAD TO BSAT NUMBER 4 FOR US!

u can see the pikle i was in.

and well done on the success

mind u, we faced teams with regional players, and we did pretty well.

if you want me to elabortate on how i got success out of my team, please tell me before i go on one of my forum rants.

Last edited: