Thread: Whats the secret of medium pace bowling?

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

Whats the secret of medium pace bowling?

How do you get it right? how do you get wickets? and what sort of variations can you add?

Cricket Spectator
    Theres no secret really. Line and length, consistency and slight variations are the key as well as correct field settings. Build pressure up through not leaking runs and thats when the medium pacer gets their wickets.

I see medium pacers as run savers rather than the main striker or main attacking bowler.. that is one of the reason that most Medium pacers are succesful in the limited games rather than test matches in my opinion...

so work on imporving your line and length.. try to save runs by bowling in the right areas.. build pressure by saving runs..

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by knights12 View Post
    Theres no secret really. Line and length, consistency and slight variations are the key as well as correct field settings. Build pressure up through not leaking runs and thats when the medium pacer gets their wickets.
    This. Variations are the most important, after line and length. Being a medium pacer, banging in the short ones doesn't really work, but if you can, it's really useful, so the batsman doesn't just get a line and length every ball. Swing and cut are helpful, plus a slower and faster ball.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer micoach's Avatar
    The above answers are right. To get there practice bowling as much as you can. If you think you have practiced enough, then do some more. There is no substitute for just bowling.
    Online coaching at PitchVision Academy

Breakout Champion!
    In light of recent events, I'd suggest changing your name to Hamish.

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    Unless you're playing first grade standard or above I'd say not to worry about the slower balls and variations etc and simply to keep it simple. Don't try too much, be patient, bowl at the top of off stump then do it again...I've seen bowlers in the lower grades try and employ slower balls and other variations quite a bit and more often than not it just messes with their control and releases the pressure. Whereas if they'd just stuck to a plan and bowled at the top of off stump they'd have been much more likely to prosper..

thanks everyone, i think ill just stick with line and length now.

Quote Originally Posted by kuranui View Post
    thanks everyone, i think ill just stick with line and length now.
    Yes. Look to get close to the stumps and hit the stumps. You will pick up bucketloads that way.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    If you fall in the category of 120 - 125 kmph then line and length is the best weapon! Thats how you can tire the batsman out and take wickets.

Follow Shaun Pollock, Jacob Oram, Glenn McGrath
    CricZo XI - Draft League

Season 1 M Hayden, G Gooch, R Dravid, W Hammond, K Pietersen, G Sobers, R Marsh (wk), R Benaud (c), D Steyn, W Hall, N Adcock

Season 2 J Hobbs, B Richards, D Boon, H Taylor, C Lloyd (c), A Stewart (wk), T Goddard, A Davidson, H Tayfield, C Ambrose, H Griffith

Season 3 H Sutcliffe, M Hayden, I Chappell (c), G Pollock, A Faulkner, M Hussey, D Lindsay (wk), I Botham, A Kumble, M Marshall, D Lillee

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Line and Length all the way...but slight pace variations can do wonders, provided you set up the batsman perfectly.......and practice is a must for sure.
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kingkallis View Post
    If you fall in the category of 120 - 125 kmph then line and length is the best weapon! Thats how you can tire the batsman out and take wickets.

Follow Shaun Pollock, Jacob Oram, Glenn McGrath
    Yes, apart from the fact that at least two of those three could move it around a bit off a decent length too (and they were faster) I agree.

I'd imagine you'd have a natural stock delivery that moves in some way, it's pretty rare not to. Work on line and length and perfecting that and then look at some variations.
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 17-09-2009 at 06:06 PM.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Add a good yorker as well. Use that whenever batsmen trying to go after you. No harm in bowling 4 yorkers in a row rather than 4 short ones in a row.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

^^^ very good point

Thread Information