• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Whats the secret of medium pace bowling?

kuranui

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
How do you get it right? how do you get wickets? and what sort of variations can you add?

knights12

Cricket Spectator
Theres no secret really. Line and length, consistency and slight variations are the key as well as correct field settings. Build pressure up through not leaking runs and thats when the medium pacer gets their wickets.

AaronK

State Regular
I see medium pacers as run savers rather than the main striker or main attacking bowler.. that is one of the reason that most Medium pacers are succesful in the limited games rather than test matches in my opinion...

so work on imporving your line and length.. try to save runs by bowling in the right areas.. build pressure by saving runs..

Jakester1288

International Regular
Theres no secret really. Line and length, consistency and slight variations are the key as well as correct field settings. Build pressure up through not leaking runs and thats when the medium pacer gets their wickets.
This. Variations are the most important, after line and length. Being a medium pacer, banging in the short ones doesn't really work, but if you can, it's really useful, so the batsman doesn't just get a line and length every ball. Swing and cut are helpful, plus a slower and faster ball.

micoach

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The above answers are right. To get there practice bowling as much as you can. If you think you have practiced enough, then do some more. There is no substitute for just bowling.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Unless you're playing first grade standard or above I'd say not to worry about the slower balls and variations etc and simply to keep it simple. Don't try too much, be patient, bowl at the top of off stump then do it again...I've seen bowlers in the lower grades try and employ slower balls and other variations quite a bit and more often than not it just messes with their control and releases the pressure. Whereas if they'd just stuck to a plan and bowled at the top of off stump they'd have been much more likely to prosper..

kingkallis

International Coach
If you fall in the category of 120 - 125 kmph then line and length is the best weapon! Thats how you can tire the batsman out and take wickets.

Follow Shaun Pollock, Jacob Oram, Glenn McGrath

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Line and Length all the way...but slight pace variations can do wonders, provided you set up the batsman perfectly.......and practice is a must for sure.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you fall in the category of 120 - 125 kmph then line and length is the best weapon! Thats how you can tire the batsman out and take wickets.

Follow Shaun Pollock, Jacob Oram, Glenn McGrath
Yes, apart from the fact that at least two of those three could move it around a bit off a decent length too (and they were faster) I agree.

I'd imagine you'd have a natural stock delivery that moves in some way, it's pretty rare not to. Work on line and length and perfecting that and then look at some variations.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Add a good yorker as well. Use that whenever batsmen trying to go after you. No harm in bowling 4 yorkers in a row rather than 4 short ones in a row.