• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

playing with a straight bat

kuranui

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hey everyone, leading up to the cricket season here in NZ, and i want to improve my batting a hell of alot. and one way i think i can do this is playing with a straight bat more than normal. Has anyone got any drills, tips or anything to help me with this. It will be much appreciated :D

Thanks
Shaun

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
The key to success is practice, practice, practice.
Maybe ask the bowlers of your team to help you out with additional trainingsessions, as this gives you the chances different bowlingstechniques.

Where abouts do you life/play in NZ.
I used to life in Rotorua but saw myself more of a Waikatoboy as I'm a Chiefs fan :happy:

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Sweet bro, but I was thinking of flying over in 2010-2011, maybe at that time you may be 18.
Altho I can't remember what the exact drinking age is?

Chur

kuranui

Sweet bro, but I was thinking of flying over in 2010-2011, maybe at that time you may be 18.
Altho I can't remember what the exact drinking age is?

Chur
its still 18, looking like it will be raised though.

You find it hard to play cricket in a tiny wee place like Belgium? wouldnt have thought it a very cricketing country?

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Well, it's not the same as in NZ, I started playing it when I was in Akaroa.

Belgium has 4 divisions and 14 teams, some of the teams also have a second team that plays in a higher/lower division.

Most of the players are people from Cricket minded countries, as I'm Belgian and just started playing in January 2009 I have to say it's hard ( all those rules, techniques etc...) but really fun to play. Every day more and more kids are getting into it and it's growing slowly.
The only negative point is our weather, comparable with the UK => lots and lots of rain.

kuranui

Well, it's not the same as in NZ, I started playing it when I was in Akaroa.

Belgium has 4 divisions and 14 teams, some of the teams also have a second team that plays in a higher/lower division.

Most of the players are people from Cricket minded countries, as I'm Belgian and just started playing in January 2009 I have to say it's hard ( all those rules, techniques etc...) but really fun to play. Every day more and more kids are getting into it and it's growing slowly.
The only negative point is our weather, comparable with the UK => lots and lots of rain.
Thats more teams than i expected. The weather would make it quite horrible though. What formats of the game is played there?

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
League games are 45 overs, friendlies are 40 overs depending on the weather and if everybody arrives on time, if this isn't the case we reduce the amount of overs.

On Wednesday eve we play some nice 20 over games. Between 7 PM-9PM

Those are awesome.

kuranui

League games are 45 overs, friendlies are 40 overs depending on the weather and if everybody arrives on time, if this isn't the case we reduce the amount of overs.

On Wednesday eve we play some nice 20 over games. Between 7 PM-9PM

Those are awesome.
We only get to play 20 overs here, its sucks.

Rasterius

Cricket Spectator
Let me actually give you some drills and advice. First of all one way to practise is to get a sock, put a cricket ball or any other ball in it, tie it up to a tree, washing line etc. and practise hitting against that ball with a straight bat and getting your front leg forward watching the ball with no gap between bat and pad.

Also try putting balls on the ground and hitting them in a straight line to where you are positioned,

Practise with a mirror. BBC SPORT | Cricket | Skills | Playing the forward defensive part 2

Cricket Batting Tips

This should help even an advanced player, everything you need to know.

kuranui

Let me actually give you some drills and advice. First of all one way to practise is to get a sock, put a cricket ball or any other ball in it, tie it up to a tree, washing line etc. and practise hitting against that ball with a straight bat and getting your front leg forward watching the ball with no gap between bat and pad.

Also try putting balls on the ground and hitting them in a straight line to where you are positioned,

Practise with a mirror. BBC SPORT | Cricket | Skills | Playing the forward defensive part 2

Cricket Batting Tips

This should help even an advanced player, everything you need to know.
that vid is pretty damned good, thanks