• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Convertible Spikes

mat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
What is the deal with these convertible spikes?

I am currently in the market for some new spikes, and with the new range of spikes being phased in at the moment, i came across convertible spikes(puma and asics).

Some are convertible from rubbers to spikes, others from half spikes to full. What are people's opinions on these particular style of shoes.

I am a pace bowler, and good, supportive shoes are a must. Now I am actually looking to buy, i am surprised by the range.

First of all, should i be looking at half spikes or full(what difference do they make, anyway), or the convertibles?

And is having a spike that can convert into a rubber a better option than buying a seperate spike and rubber shoe?

Mat

knights12

Cricket Spectator
Convertibles?

I assume you mean the ones with the screw in spikes that you can change out for rubbers? If you play on a mixture of grass and artificial pitches then they could be a good option...if you are lucky enough to only ever play on grass then you should go for the full spike, leather sole option. As a bowler go for full spikes either way.

mat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
In particular, the convertible spikes i was looking at are the:

Puma Ballistic II
asics Gel-Strike Rate Spike
(possibly)Twenty2yards Lite 111 spike

I will be playing on turf every saturday, and on synthetic every sunday. Hence, the need for rubbers and spikes.

Mat