• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Rounder

mike148

Cricket Spectator
Hi guys, would you mind helping me out?

I just have a few questions on -

Bowling:

1: My head has a tendency to drift away just as I am completing my action, is there anything I can do to correct this?

2: How far away from the stumps is a good length? 1 or 2 meters?

Batting:

1: I have never batted before in a competitive match but I have one coming up and am nervous. I just started playing cricket a month ago and I have no technique, what can I do to improve?

2: How do you know which shot to play and how do you play it?

Cheers.

Jakester1288

International Regular
2: How far away from the stumps is a good length? 1 or 2 meters?
Assuming you are a seamer, whatever length it takes to make the ball hit the top of off stump. For taller people, you can pitch it up closer to the stumps than a shorter person would.

1: I have never batted before in a competitive match but I have one coming up and am nervous. I just started playing cricket a month ago and I have no technique, what can I do to improve?
Practice, practice, practice, when you finish practice, practice some more.

Interesting question. I look around the field, and talk to myself, telling myself what shots are available to play (eg where the gaps in the field are). I dunno, when the ball comes at me I just play a shot. I don't know if I think about it, or if it's just natural. But I just play the ball as it comes, unless of course I am pre-mediating a shot.

Good luck.

mat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hi guys, would you mind helping me out?

Probaly instinct most of the time. Often, you won't have the time to think about what shot you want to play, and where you want it, as you have half a second to react. Only practise can aid in knowing what shot to play, and how to play it. Knowing where the gaps are beforehand, you will naturally play your shot towards them.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
With regards to batting, just stick to your strengths. You only need two or three scoring shots, limit yourself to those and defend most others.

For your bowling, try and think about keeping your eyes level.

Rasterius

Cricket Spectator
Don't be stupid guys. If he has just started cricket there is no point teaching him to play into the gaps. Get a sock and put a ball in it, tie it to some rope and hang it up somewhere where you can bat against it. Play with a straight bat and learn how to defend the ball, just keep practising the forward defense and the drives. All other basic shots will fall into place.

BBC SPORT | Cricket | Skills | Playing the forward defensive part 2

Have a look there. That is all you want to do.

When I first started cricket I was easily the worst batsmen in district and one of the worst in club. I had no idea how to play but thankfully the coaches taught me the forward defense and the three front foot drives. I practised heaps and I'm not going to boast but let's just say when my coaches saw me bat after the winter break they said I improved 100% In practically one year without any coaching I had surpassed kids who had been playing cricket there whole life, and I'm not the only one, all the time I hear peoples success stories of being the worst batsmen to learning the defense and then becoming the best, I talked to this 2nd grade player for club which is still quite good and he said he was an opener and averaging 34 and had played cricket for two years and before that nothing except some soccer and I believe him. He understood technique and went about training seriously enough that he wasn't trying to slog the bowlers for six every ball.

Last edited:

chyickenkeev

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
just play the ball as it comes to you, even if there are fielders there, cos the bowler cant get the ball ther every time can he?
the more time you spend in the middle, even if its for a lost cause, is valuable, cos i was always ****ting myslef in the middle but now im chilling.