• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jakes 2009/10 cricket season log

Jakester1288

International Regular
Tuesday 4th August, 2009

Time to get motivated and started on this. I've probably left it too late already, I don't want to be postponing it any longer.

We have training this Sunday, the first of two pre season training sessions. I am very disappointed in how poor I was over the off season, following a program for a couple of months, then just stopping. Now it's warming up, cricket season is coming, and I am starting to get motivated.

I will be posting regular updates here from every training session, match and workout/fitness session.

This weeks program:

Monday - Passed
Tuesday - Passed
Wednesday - Bodyweight workout + Nets at school
Thursday - Bodyweight workout
Friday - Bodyweight workout
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Pre season cricket training

Tom M

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Tuesday 4th August, 2009

Time to get motivated and started on this. I've probably left it too late already, I don't want to be postponing it any longer.

We have training this Sunday, the first of two pre season training sessions. I am very disappointed in how poor I was over the off season, following a program for a couple of months, then just stopping. Now it's warming up, cricket season is coming, and I am starting to get motivated.

I will be posting regular updates here from every training session, match and workout/fitness session.

This weeks program:

Monday - Passed
Tuesday - Passed
Wednesday - Bodyweight workout + Nets at school
Thursday - Bodyweight workout
Friday - Bodyweight workout
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Pre season cricket training
What does passed mean?

Jakester1288

International Regular
Wednesday 5th August, 2009
Nets and bodyweight workout

I'm really pleased with my efforts in the nets today, I felt good, I didn't feel as sore, and I'm confident I can do well with the ball on Sunday. My batting, however, I'm not confident with. I was really poor, I wasn't happy with it at all.

The bodyweight workout, I'm also disappointed with that. A couple of months ago, I would have completed it. I couldn't even complete it properly today, but at least now I've got a base, and will work on it.

Program for next week to hopefully come soon.

Tom M

Appologies, didn't read it properly, thought this was a cycle plan.

What bodyweight exercises are you doing?

Jakester1288

International Regular
Appologies, didn't read it properly, thought this was a cycle plan.

What bodyweight exercises are you doing?
I've got a routine I printed off the internet, with loads of exercises like push ups, squats, sit ups, and things like star jumps, skipping, running on the spot, mountain climbers, burpees etc.

mat

I've got a routine I printed off the internet, with loads of exercises like push ups, squats, sit ups, and things like star jumps, skipping, running on the spot, mountain climbers, burpees etc.
You wouldnt happen to have a link to this particular site, would you?

Tom M

Sounds good mate.

My advice would be this. Once you've got to 20 push-ups and a few pull-ups start doing this:

Articles

Westside for Skinny Bastards is backed up by brilliant science, and has results to prove that it works. Joe DeFranco is the man, do this for 15 weeks and I'll put money on your cricket improving.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I'm undecided if I should go to training tomorrow. It's seniors only, which is all good, but none of my friends (who are juniors) are going. Should I go by myself, and die a terrible death of getting shredded up my first grade bowlers (I'm 13), or just stay home?

mat

You should go to show your committed. If you are looking to play for the team during the season, turning up will look good on your record. If they are tossing up between you and another player, they may choose who has showed the most commitment, from what ive been told anyway.

If it is for your own benefit to your skill progression, it is probaly a better idea to go anyway.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Sunday 9th August
First preseason training session

It was a pretty good session today. I am a bowling allrounder, only 2 guys batted, because we focused mainly on fielding. First I went to the wrong ground, and my dad went, before luckily my friend turned up, and we went to the right ground.

My fielding was really good, I feel. I was the first to underarm the ball and hit the stumps at speed from our team, took some good catches (including a good dive and some nice catches from the catch it), and my bowling, at cones, was pretty good.

When I was bowling to a left handed batsman, I was terrible, so just gave up on bowling and went home, seeing as I had a bit of a sore shoulder.

Overall, not a bad session, 6.5/10. And I honestly enjoyed fielding.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Ok, seniors training is Tuesday and Friday. I have to work a program around that, with Cricket on Saturday and hopefully Sunday (if I make rep).

Monday: Chest & Arms
Tuesday: Training
Wednesday: Legs
Thursday: Rest
Friday: Training
Saturday: Game
Sunday: Rest

Currently presuming Sunday is not a game, will have it down as a rest for now. Need to add back into there, as that's pretty important, do you reckon Monday or Wednesday?

Tom M

Ok, seniors training is Tuesday and Friday. I have to work a program around that, with Cricket on Saturday and hopefully Sunday (if I make rep).

Monday: Chest & Arms
Tuesday: Training
Wednesday: Legs
Thursday: Rest
Friday: Training
Saturday: Game
Sunday: Rest

Currently presuming Sunday is not a game, will have it down as a rest for now. Need to add back into there, as that's pretty important, do you reckon Monday or Wednesday?
Mate, I don't understand why you're doing a bodybuilder split. Are you training for cricket or training to look good?

Jakester1288

International Regular
11th August​

Not a lot to write about, my shoulder is still a bit sore, and don't want to hurt it before tomorrow.

A few of us are pumped for cricket now, and tomorrow we are playing at the nets for over 3 hours, rain permitting. Rubbing some ice gel into the shoulder when I finish this post. Anyway, there is this kid who is playing cricket with us, and he is really fast, and bowls with every intention of hitting us. I faced up last week, until a full toss at the body made me come out. We don't wear helmets, or much protective gear at all, and I'm not facing that ****.

I want to try and work on some bowling particularly tomorrow, including bringing in some pace and rhythm, and hitting the crease at speed from my short run. If it doesn't work, I'll use a longer run for this season. Seriously excited. :D

I'm going to pack my bag and get some ice gel onto my shoulder now.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Without rep:

Monday - Lower body
Tuesday - Training
Wednesday - Upper body
Thursday - Rest/Bodyweight workout
Friday - Training
Saturday - Game
Sunday - Rest/Bodyweight workout

With rep:

Monday - Rest