• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jakes 2009/10 cricket season log

Jakester1288

International Regular
So my plan is all works out and I make rep and everything.

Monday: Chest & Arms + Jog
Tuesday: Training
Wednesday: Legs + Swim
Thursday: Jog
Friday: Training
Saturday: Game + Recovery swim
Sunday: Game + Recovery swim

The jogs will increase in length, until I find a length I'm happy with. It's a bit too cold for the swimming at the moment, but that should start soon.

I also will probably fix up my diet, I wish I didn't quit my working out I was doing through the off season. Next off season will be good, I'll be able to do training without worrying about games and everything.

Tom M

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Coming up:
Rep tryouts
Training
_________
Selection trial (against first graders and stuff too)
Jake, why do you keep on changing your program around? Also, what's up with not training your shoulders or back?

Also, think about rest days mate, I learnt this the hard way since I was never fresh for my games this year. You adapt to the training stimulus when you REST, not when you train, so you would probably get better gains if you rested more.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Jake, why do you keep on changing your program around? Also, what's up with not training your shoulders or back?
I have deadlifts in there somewhere, and I change it because I'm improving it before I start up again. Shoulders are in arms, BTW.

BTW, Thursday was a rest day, but I tried to include a jog or two and a couple of swims. Thursday was the only day free, plus 20-30 minutes of running won't do much harm will it?

Last edited:

Tom M

Why do it at all? Cricketers really don't need high levels of aerobic capacity, the anaerobic energy system is much more important.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Yesterday was rep trials. I was sick, and my bowling was poor. Didn't stop my batting from being excellent, only two possible dismissals, against the under 17s emerging blues spinner, who's 13. Anyway, the coach hinted I'll be batting up the order, like top 4, and I'm stoking. I don't want to open, but he said I might, I don't know whether to have another go at something where my top score is 4, or bat at 3 or 4, crucial positions. Decisions, decisions.

Anyway, I've actually got to make the squad first, which will be in the paper on Wednesday and Sunday.

Jakester1288

International Regular
In the rep team, opening the batting for the trial match against Armidale. Become more or less a pure batsman now, and it's great!

Jakester1288

International Regular
Centerwicket practice tomorrow, and nets on Sunday. Good weekend of cricket.

Both for seniors, BTW.

Also, starting up my training program on Monday. :D

Spinksy

Banned
Centerwicket practice tomorrow, and nets on Sunday. Good weekend of cricket.

Both for seniors, BTW.

Also, starting up my training program on Monday. :D
Your packing too many things at once in my opinion. A good cricketer always takes the occasional break once in a while Jake but looking at this thread it seems you won't have a lot of spare time on your hands.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Sorry I haven't been bothered to update this about training, occasionally if something out of the ordinary happens at training I might update, but ATM will just stick to matches and whatnot.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Your packing too many things at once in my opinion. A good cricketer always takes the occasional break once in a while Jake but looking at this thread it seems you won't have a lot of spare time on your hands.
Had a miss from training, preparing for peeps coming over tonight. I have been playing with the crazy catch all day though, and we are having fielding training on Friday.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Starting back up the program tomorrow.

The week ahead:
Monday - Circuits (jogging, fielding, BW exercises, sprints, etc)
Tuesday - Training
Wednesday - Upper Body & Fielding
Thursday - Lower Body & Fielding
Friday - Training
Weekend - Perhaps a game hopefully if not training or rest.

Might have a school game during the week, will force me to change everything around.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Will one of Jake's friends keep us up to date with his log while he's banned? I'm worried sick about whether he's keeping up with his training regime. :(

Jakester1288

International Regular
Will one of Jake's friends keep us up to date with his log while he's banned? I'm worried sick about whether he's keeping up with his training regime. :(
Haha! Just been training, nothing I would have updated really anyway.

I'll be missing the first match thanks to a ****ing holiday. FML.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I would have played the first game of the season on Saturday, but I was on holidays. I might get to play this week, I think the team is 7/80 chasing 150, hopefully I can come in and save the team (yeah right, in my first bat of the season).

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You can play in the second week even if you didn't play in the first? Doesn't seem right.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Not usually. I couldn't play, so we got a replacement. If the replacement is unavailable, I can play. He has first priority, if he is good to go, he plays.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Just putting in my 2 cents. I don't think you should be doing any gym work at 13. The odd run and shuttles and that sort of thing is good, but I'd be very hesitant to have you on a weights program.

The cricket training is good though.

mat

Just putting in my 2 cents. I don't think you should be doing any gym work at 13. The odd run and shuttles and that sort of thing is good, but I'd be very hesitant to have you on a weights program.

The cricket training is good though.
What is wrong with weights, mate. A little bulk is fine for cricket, and can also improve your cricket, as long as you don't get to addicted to bodybuilding.