• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jakes 2009/10 cricket season log

Tom M

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Yes

Because I don't like it. Plus I'm not a skinny bastard. :p
If you're 15 years old, you're a skinny bastard. I'm a skinny bastard. Everyone's a skinny bastard until they can squat 500lbs.

I've got to say that I'm really confused by your training. What's the goal of your weight training? What rep schemes are you doing? Is there any method behind your training program?

How long have you been weight training for? What's your 1RM in squat, overhead press and deadlift?

Jakester1288

International Regular
If you're 15 years old, you're a skinny bastard. I'm a skinny bastard. Everyone's a skinny bastard until they can squat 500lbs.

I've got to say that I'm really confused by your training. What's the goal of your weight training? What rep schemes are you doing? Is there any method behind your training program?

How long have you been weight training for? What's your 1RM in squat, overhead press and deadlift?
To gain strength.

Don't know about 1 rep maxes. I could do the predictor thing when I just start, but I will be lifting light weights.

Last edited:

Jakester1288

International Regular
23rd August

WOOOHOOO!

Great day today. I bought some gloves, inners, a pair of training pants and Bioslyx (like skins), and ordered my helmet, shoes and trousers. :D

When I got home, I put up the trampoline, did my run up, with a smaller jump, and it felt awesome! I did some fielding too, getting the balls rolled at me, attacking the ball and throwing at the stumps, and running in, picking up and diving towards the stumps. Was good, was sweating heaps!

Starting the program tomorrow. :D

Last edited:

DCC_legend

International Regular
Training looks like something a professional would use. Reckon you're gunna do yourself more harm than good with that.

Tom M

Training looks like something a professional would use. Reckon you're gunna do yourself more harm than good with that.
Don't you think sitting around on your arse would do more harm than good, instead of getting fit?

Good job Jake, as long as you're happy with your program thats the most important thing. I would be careful with your weightlifting though, in that I think you should follow a well designed program instead of doing whatever you feel like.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Chest is sore, plus legs a bit wobbly, woohoo!

Bad thing is today, somehow, I hurt my inside thigh up near my groin. When I finished squats, I felt a slight pain in lunges. I left them, did leg lifts, went back to them, and the pain had eased up a bit.

Should be able to provide video's of my terrible run up and action some time on the weekend (Sunday), and you can critique it.

Jakester1288

International Regular
FFS, injuries suck. I got hit on the foot yesterday playing backyard cricket, and immeadiately, it didn't hurt. 30 seconds later, the pain set in, and 5 minutes later, it was a big lump, with a big black bruise on it.

It hurt and I had trouble going to sleep, and today I'm staying home from school to rest it up. Laying on the lounge at the moment, with my foot elevated on pillows, plus I had some ice on it before, and it will be back soon.

I've got training this week sometime after school, for my school team, which I'm captaining, I can't miss training! This SUCKS!

mat

lifting weights supposedly stunts your growth when you are still developing, although i do not believe. Im no expert but lifting weight hasnt stopped me from growing, atleast i dont think it has

mat

"Myth #2: Strength training will stunt the growth of children.

It still amazes me that parents won’t hesitate to get their young children (6-7 years old) involved in sports such as football, gymnastics, basketball and soccer, yet they feel that participating in a strength-training program is damaging to their children’s bone health and will stunt their growth. Nothing can be further from the truth.

The fact of the matter is that running, jumping and tackling can create loading on a child’s body which is up to ten times greater than most strength training exercises. In other words, the physical demands on a child’s body are far greater on the athletic field compared to the weightroom. Parents who don’t let their children participate in resistance training are actually increasing their children’s risk for injury on the athletic field.

There have even been position stands by such organizations as the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine and the American Academy of Pediatrics suggesting that children can benefit from participation in a properly designed and supervised resistance training program. Position stands recommend that prepubescent children shouldn't lift maximal weights; they should lift weights that can be lifted for at least six repetitions with proper form.

Strength training in this manner can be the most potent exercise stimulus for bone growth and development. In fact, research has shown that young weightlifters have greater bone densities than individuals who don't lift. Thus, the positive benefits of resistance training for bone health, injury prevention and improved athletic performance are far greater than the risks."

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/63-ten-training-myths-exposed.html

Last edited:

Breathe

Cricket Spectator
Sounds like your committed Jake...which is good. For doing weights, it's not harmful and will definitely not stunt your growth but remember to do it with perfect technique. If it means going lighter, go for it :).

Jakester1288

International Regular
Since Monday, I've decided I'm stopping the weight training for 2 weeks. With the ankle almost 100%, I've got training today for club, training on Tuesday for school (which I am captaining, so I need to go) then rep tryouts the following Sunday. If I injure myself, I will be devostated. I will be resuming after the rep try outs if all goes to plan.

Jakester1288

International Regular
6th September

Just thought I would update that I trained today, was really good. Was scared to bat against the older guys, but I was better off for it. I faced an under 19's Australian indoor player, he bowls some nice offies. I faced a quick, who bowled a nice ball at my head, and I got out of the way well, and the rest weren't too hard to face. A bit of swing, good line and lengths, nothing else that troubled me. I only got out once in the whole innings, to the spinner, coming down the track, trying to defend, and his turn and bounce got the shoulder of the bat, and it balooned up into the air. I absolutely creamed an off drive against a second grade bowler, and didn't play too many bad shots really. With the ball, I bowled some lad, who wasn't a bad bat, and got the edge (but it went too low for a keeper, I reckon) of another guy. My ankle was troubling me a little, but it got better through bowling, then it got bad at the end, resulting in my bowling a short outside off, short at the hips, then a full toss, above waist. I decided to stop bowling then, and just as I sat down, I was called over to fielding. That was good, just a drill with a tennis ball and racquet, hitting the ball at us, in games where we were punished if we miss it and stuff. Good times.

nibbs

International Captain
What an excellent read. I can't wait for the next entry. Keep them coming, Jakester!