Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jakes 2009/10 cricket season log

International Regular
    Ok, seniors training is Tuesday and Friday. I have to work a program around that, with Cricket on Saturday and hopefully Sunday (if I make rep).

Monday: Chest & Arms
    Tuesday: Training
    Wednesday: Legs
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: Training
    Saturday: Game
    Sunday: Rest

Currently presuming Sunday is not a game, will have it down as a rest for now. Need to add back into there, as that's pretty important, do you reckon Monday or Wednesday?

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Tom M's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakester1288 View Post
    Ok, seniors training is Tuesday and Friday. I have to work a program around that, with Cricket on Saturday and hopefully Sunday (if I make rep).

Monday: Chest & Arms
    Tuesday: Training
    Wednesday: Legs
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: Training
    Saturday: Game
    Sunday: Rest

Currently presuming Sunday is not a game, will have it down as a rest for now. Need to add back into there, as that's pretty important, do you reckon Monday or Wednesday?
    Mate, I don't understand why you're doing a bodybuilder split. Are you training for cricket or training to look good?
    The only way to get fit for cricket

http://www.getfitforcricket.blogspot.com

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
    Mate, I don't understand why you're doing a bodybuilder split. Are you training for cricket or training to look good?
    What do you recommend?

International Regular
    11th August

Not a lot to write about, my shoulder is still a bit sore, and don't want to hurt it before tomorrow.

A few of us are pumped for cricket now, and tomorrow we are playing at the nets for over 3 hours, rain permitting. Rubbing some ice gel into the shoulder when I finish this post. Anyway, there is this kid who is playing cricket with us, and he is really fast, and bowls with every intention of hitting us. I faced up last week, until a full toss at the body made me come out. We don't wear helmets, or much protective gear at all, and I'm not facing that ****.

I want to try and work on some bowling particularly tomorrow, including bringing in some pace and rhythm, and hitting the crease at speed from my short run. If it doesn't work, I'll use a longer run for this season. Seriously excited.

I'm going to pack my bag and get some ice gel onto my shoulder now.

International Regular
    Without rep:

Monday - Lower body
    Tuesday - Training
    Wednesday - Upper body
    Thursday - Rest/Bodyweight workout
    Friday - Training
    Saturday - Game
    Sunday - Rest/Bodyweight workout

With rep:

Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - Training
    Wednesday - Lower body
    Thursday - Upper body
    Friday - Training
    Saturday - Game
    Sunday - Game

Thoughts?

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Tom M's Avatar
    Westside for Skinny Bastards once you're able to do 20 press-ups and 3-4 pull-ups.. It will build a very good base of strength for you to build sport specific strength on top of.

Either that or Starting Strength by Coach Ripptoe.

Whatever you do, don't use machines, stick to barbells, dumbbells and bodyweight exercises.

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
    Westside for Skinny Bastards once you're able to do 20 press-ups and 3-4 pull-ups.. It will build a very good base of strength for you to build sport specific strength on top of.

Either that or Starting Strength by Coach Ripptoe.

Whatever you do, don't use machines, stick to barbells, dumbbells and bodyweight exercises.
    I have nowhere to do pull-ups. I only do free weight exercises. Might follow Ripptoe (I thought there was an extra E in there), but you have to squat heavy 3 times per week, and I don't want to be sore on training, but particularly games.

International Regular
    12th August

Absolute-friggin-awesome day today! Recess was extended by half an hour, so we spend 50 minutes at recess, plus about 2 hours at sport, then we were stuffed, so we didn't play in the afternoon.

I tried some new stuff, working getting some good pace. Rhythm is coming back, good signs. Bowled well, and tried a straight front leg with a bent back leg, got a bit more pace, but lost a bit of accuracy. Worked on jumping higher, that worked. Worked on bringing the front arm faster, that worked.

Batting wasn't so good. Was really poor.

Overall days session: 8.5/10

International Regular
    13th August

Today I was mainly batting. We work on a system with whoever gets the wicket goes in to bat. I took a wicket early in the day, bowling around the wicket to a left hander, bowling pretty quick, taking him on the leg then moving it came off the knee and onto the single stump (pole). Then I batted most of the day, getting out once and then getting back in pretty quickly. I went out for 5 minutes in the arvo to bowl a bit, and I will be continuing with the bat tomorrow morning.

My defensive shots were good, but my cover drives were terrible, and my hack shots were terrible bar one. I was trying to practice getting under it and sending it, it was frustrating the hell out of the bowlers, but I need to keep working on it, until I can regularly rely on myself to hit boundaries.

Overall day's session: 7/10.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Boundaries are overrated imo.
    Jesus saves

member of Liverpool FC and Melbourne City

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden View Post
    Boundaries are overrated imo.
    Yeah, but I really struggle to find the boundary. You have to take to the air to get a boundary, because the grass is long. I only hit one last season, a beautiful pull shot that rocketed to the boundary, in our final game of the season.

International Regular
    14th August

Pretty bad day. Got out with the bat early, and only got back in once. Bowling was bad, plus I did something bad to my knee. Late, in the second half of lunch, I was bowling, and in my jump, I felt pain. I thought it was a temporary thing, so went back and bowled again. Then, in my jump, I felt pain again. I tried once more, and I heard a clicking sound from my knee. I didn't even release the ball, it hurt too much.

It was happening when in the jump, I pull my leg back towards my hamstring/arse, in my left (front) bowling leg. Was terrible, hoping it will heal itself up over the weekend and fix up for Monday.

Overall day: 5/10 (poor rating due to injury)

International Regular
    15th August

I am an idiot. Before I go on, let me say, I am an idiot.

After yesterdays minor injury, I tried to bowl again today. I am too keen. I just couldn't stop myself. Anyway, this resulted in the knee clicking again. It was the same pain and everything else...it's terrible.

At least, before this happened, I got my run out nearly sorted. So, once I get over this little thing (assuming it's little, not a long term problem), I'll be all sorted to train and play.

I've started a folder to track all my progress in, and I plan on using that all season. I've got a speech to work on, and then I will sort out my training plan. I'll be doing lots of training stuff from PitchVision, some really great stuff on there.

Training plan should be up when I make it.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Haha, Jakester, can hardly say I'm surprised mate. Your schedule is so hectic. Let your body grow son.

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden View Post
    Haha, Jakester, can hardly say I'm surprised mate. Your schedule is so hectic. Let your body grow son.
    I think I might need to work on leg strength or something, but I am not sure.

Today I'll be finalizing my schedule hopefully, and I'll post it up.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information