• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jakes 2009/10 cricket season log

Tom M

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Westside for Skinny Bastards once you're able to do 20 press-ups and 3-4 pull-ups.. It will build a very good base of strength for you to build sport specific strength on top of.

Either that or Starting Strength by Coach Ripptoe.

Whatever you do, don't use machines, stick to barbells, dumbbells and bodyweight exercises.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Westside for Skinny Bastards once you're able to do 20 press-ups and 3-4 pull-ups.. It will build a very good base of strength for you to build sport specific strength on top of.

Either that or Starting Strength by Coach Ripptoe.

Whatever you do, don't use machines, stick to barbells, dumbbells and bodyweight exercises.
I have nowhere to do pull-ups. I only do free weight exercises. Might follow Ripptoe (I thought there was an extra E in there), but you have to squat heavy 3 times per week, and I don't want to be sore on training, but particularly games.

Jakester1288

International Regular
12th August

Absolute-friggin-awesome day today! Recess was extended by half an hour, so we spend 50 minutes at recess, plus about 2 hours at sport, then we were stuffed, so we didn't play in the afternoon.

I tried some new stuff, working getting some good pace. Rhythm is coming back, good signs. Bowled well, and tried a straight front leg with a bent back leg, got a bit more pace, but lost a bit of accuracy. Worked on jumping higher, that worked. Worked on bringing the front arm faster, that worked.

Batting wasn't so good. Was really poor.

Overall days session: 8.5/10

Jakester1288

International Regular
13th August

Today I was mainly batting. We work on a system with whoever gets the wicket goes in to bat. I took a wicket early in the day, bowling around the wicket to a left hander, bowling pretty quick, taking him on the leg then moving it came off the knee and onto the single stump (pole). Then I batted most of the day, getting out once and then getting back in pretty quickly. I went out for 5 minutes in the arvo to bowl a bit, and I will be continuing with the bat tomorrow morning.

My defensive shots were good, but my cover drives were terrible, and my hack shots were terrible bar one. I was trying to practice getting under it and sending it, it was frustrating the hell out of the bowlers, but I need to keep working on it, until I can regularly rely on myself to hit boundaries.

Overall day's session: 7/10.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Boundaries are overrated imo. :cool:
Yeah, but I really struggle to find the boundary. You have to take to the air to get a boundary, because the grass is long. I only hit one last season, a beautiful pull shot that rocketed to the boundary, in our final game of the season.

Jakester1288

International Regular
14th August

Pretty bad day. Got out with the bat early, and only got back in once. Bowling was bad, plus I did something bad to my knee. Late, in the second half of lunch, I was bowling, and in my jump, I felt pain. I thought it was a temporary thing, so went back and bowled again. Then, in my jump, I felt pain again. I tried once more, and I heard a clicking sound from my knee. I didn't even release the ball, it hurt too much.

It was happening when in the jump, I pull my leg back towards my hamstring/arse, in my left (front) bowling leg. Was terrible, hoping it will heal itself up over the weekend and fix up for Monday.

Overall day: 5/10 (poor rating due to injury)

Jakester1288

International Regular
15th August

I am an idiot. Before I go on, let me say, I am an idiot.

After yesterdays minor injury, I tried to bowl again today. I am too keen. I just couldn't stop myself. Anyway, this resulted in the knee clicking again. It was the same pain and everything else...it's terrible.

At least, before this happened, I got my run out nearly sorted. So, once I get over this little thing (assuming it's little, not a long term problem), I'll be all sorted to train and play.

I've started a folder to track all my progress in, and I plan on using that all season. I've got a speech to work on, and then I will sort out my training plan. I'll be doing lots of training stuff from PitchVision, some really great stuff on there.

Training plan should be up when I make it.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Haha, Jakester, can hardly say I'm surprised mate. Your schedule is so hectic. Let your body grow son.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Haha, Jakester, can hardly say I'm surprised mate. Your schedule is so hectic. Let your body grow son.
I think I might need to work on leg strength or something, but I am not sure.

Today I'll be finalizing my schedule hopefully, and I'll post it up.

Jakester1288

International Regular
17th August​

Today was pretty good. I had to wait until someone gave me their wicket, which my friend kindly did early in lunch. I proceeded to bat all of lunch and all of the afternoon session, before heading home happily.

I barely played a bad shot. In the lunch time, I got a leading edge and was luckily dropped, plus I almost chopped one on. I played a couple of bad leg glances/flicks where I would have been caught, but it's nets, so I couldn't get by playing them.

If the afternoon, our spinner came down, and I owned him. Elegently dancing down the track, getting the front foot to it, and driving it back past him, 3-4 times. I sent another spinner into the bushes, plus our main spinner for a big shot. I played one bad shot, pre-meditating a big shot over midwicket, and missed the ball outside off. It was clever bowling.

Anyway, a good day overall. I need to go out tomorrow and continue on with it. I've also found out my big weakness is cover drives. I've identified that is one of my main weaknesses, and now I need to work on it, and work hard too.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Training program​

Monday – Sprints and fielding drills
Tuesday – Nets
Wednesday – Upper body
Thursday – Lower body
Friday - Nets
Saturday - Game
Sunday – Game/Nets

I was going to do a 2 week split kind of thing, but with only Monday available to change things up, I didn't bother.

I will draw up the actual things going on in the program tomorrow or some time this week.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I do need a rest day.

Thinking Monday, maybe merge the two weights into one? But then I wouldn't be training with intensity. Fielding and sprints are important too.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Should be writing up what happens (the actual exercises) sometime tonight. I've got to write my speech and watch the Cricket and everything, plus organize a list of things to buy for the coming season.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Upper body:
Bench Press
Shoulder Press
Push ups
Deadlifts
Ball crunches
Chest Flies
Fielding drills

Lower body:
Squats
Lunges
Leg extensions
Leg lift
Ball crunches
Sprints

Any exercises I've forgot? I don't think leg extensions will stay there, trying to focus on compound exercises. Need shoulder presses, for the shoulders, that's why it's there as a single exercise or whatever you call it. Deadlifts could be in either one, but I'll have it in upper body, because my legs will be shot on from what's there already.

Tom M

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Upper body:
Bench Press
Shoulder Press
Push ups
Deadlifts
Ball crunches
Chest Flies
Fielding drills

Lower body:
Squats
Lunges
Leg extensions
Leg lift
Ball crunches
Sprints

Any exercises I've forgot? I don't think leg extensions will stay there, trying to focus on compound exercises. Need shoulder presses, for the shoulders, that's why it's there as a single exercise or whatever you call it. Deadlifts could be in either one, but I'll have it in upper body, because my legs will be shot on from what's there already.
This isn't meant to be done all in one training session is it? Look at westside for skinny bastards!!