• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

More on the bowling action

Rasterius

Cricket Spectator
Few things to clarify, for a midway action what is the exact foot positioning for the delivery, where is the front foot in relation to the back foot as the back foot lands?

How to prevent the front foot twisting as it lands through the crease?
It should be pointing straight down the wicket but sometimes as I bowl it will twist to the batsmen's off stump and my delivery will follow in that direction.

What is a good speed for a bowler between the ages of 13-15?

I will be uploading a video but I forgot to take the camera to the nets today, luckily I go to the nets every day and play cricket every day!

mat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The front foot should kick straight out. If it goes straight out, and lands straight, keeping your body balanced should keep your foot from twisting. Your foot probaly twists because you are off balance, and your foot is compensating for this. Posting a video is a good idea for the coaches/more experienced players on here to have a look.

Also, be careful bowling everyday. If your action is injury prone, bowling everyday is going to exploit these errors. It is recommended tht you have only 2-3 trainig sessions a week, and 7-8 overs per session.

knights12

Cricket Spectator
If your front foot points to say fine leg wjhen it lands it will naturally rotate when your body comes through the crease but this will probably cause some injury in either the ankle or knee at some stage. You may also find that your feet are not landing in line with each other...in other words your hips are lining up towards fine leg...this means that you have to rotate your upper body to get the ball on a straight line towards the batter which probably means you are bowling round arm hence the inconsistency in line. Have a look at the video when you get it to see if this is happening. If so I may have some training tips for you.

Rasterius

Cricket Spectator
My front foot heel lands facing towards outside off stump and as I deliver it straightens up.
I also think my legs cross over.

knights12

Cricket Spectator
Mixed Action?

It looks to me like you have a slightly mixed action in that you have your feet pointing down the wicket (back foot more towards fine leg) which is more of a front on position and your upper body more towards a side on action where your front arm comes across your body. This can cause problems with too much twisting and could lead to a back injury. It is too difficult to change the feet positioning so I would suggest that you try to change where your front arm drives up. Your chest should be more open so that your front arm goes straight up in front of your shoulder rather than across your chest...this way you stay chest on to the batter. Have a look at these videos for the difference between front on and side on. One of the easiest ways to help you from driving your front arm across the body is to actually rotate your left hand so that your show the batter your palm rather than the side of your hand when you drive up with you front arm (think of the Heil Hitler position...not PC I know!)...this hand position makes it hard to go across your chest. The other thing is you need to hold your front arm up higher for longer, slow down your video and you will see that your front arm is almost fully down when you release the ball. This will increase your ability to generate pace.

Edge Of Willow

Cricket Spectator
It looks to me like you have a slightly mixed action in that you have your feet pointing down the wicket (back foot more towards fine leg) which is more of a front on position and your upper body more towards a side on action where your front arm comes across your body. This can cause problems with too much twisting and could lead to a back injury. It is too difficult to change the feet positioning so I would suggest that you try to change where your front arm drives up. Your chest should be more open so that your front arm goes straight up in front of your shoulder rather than across your chest...this way you stay chest on to the batter. Have a look at these videos for the difference between front on and side on. One of the easiest ways to help you from driving your front arm across the body is to actually rotate your left hand so that your show the batter your palm rather than the side of your hand when you drive up with you front arm (think of the Heil Hitler position...not PC I know!)...this hand position makes it hard to go across your chest. The other thing is you need to hold your front arm up higher for longer, slow down your video and you will see that your front arm is almost fully down when you release the ball. This will increase your ability to generate pace.
Doesn't look like a mixed action to me. It is a mid-way action; his back foot lands halfway between a front-on and side-on position, and he is looking through his front arm when he bowls.

Rasterius

Cricket Spectator
Yes the article would of helped If I could clarify first what sort of action I needed to look for. At the moment I have a midway action but my front foot crosses over. And therefore my leg has to twist around. As a midway bowler should I look to have my front foot and back foot pointing down the wicket? I really want this clarified.

I run in straight with no last minute deviation to get closer to the stumps (yes/no)
My front arm goes to the left of my face like a front on bowler? (yes/no)
My bowling arm hopefully does not reach across my body,
My back foot lands where and how?
My front foot no matter what does not cross over but should be pointing down the wicket.

Tom M

Yes the article would of helped If I could clarify first what sort of action I needed to look for. At the moment I have a midway action but my front foot crosses over. And therefore my leg has to twist around. As a midway bowler should I look to have my front foot and back foot pointing down the wicket? I really want this clarified.

I run in straight with no last minute deviation to get closer to the stumps (yes/no)
My front arm goes to the left of my face like a front on bowler? (yes/no)
My bowling arm hopefully does not reach across my body,
My back foot lands where and how?
My front foot no matter what does not cross over but should be pointing down the wicket.
Video if you can mate, it's the only way to really tell.

Tom M

If anyone posts video of them bowling in slow motion with the camera behind them and side on (i.e. side on at the stumps)

Tom M

Slow motion please! That way I'll be able to see everything that's going on.

I just had a re-read of this thread, don't be put off bowling everyday! You're young, your body can take the load, go and bowl as much as you can and have fun.

Soon as you give me some slow mo stuff we'll talk business :)

knights12

Cricket Spectator
Rasterius

It would also be helpful to be able to see your whole body in the shot...and also a closer front on shot.