Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowling Full help/tips

Bowling Full help/tips

I'm having trouble bowling full in the nets and in the game, and also having a bit of trouble bowling at the stumps aswell. What could help this? Do I need to concentrate on the spot where I bowl the ball more? Am I trying to bowl to fast? And am I releasing the ball early or is my wrist in the wrong direction? Am I staying tall enough when I bowl? or bending my back ect or jumping to high when I bowl..could it be a run-up problem?, Or do I need to aim my non bowling arm at the stumps/ where I want to bowl. Or kind of put my body shape when I ball towards the direction I want the ball to go. Or is just an bowling action problem? I doubt its an action problem because I've seen poor bowlers who are really slow..ect bowl full deliveries, or should I change my action completely? I've done this a couple of times.

Help or tips please to improve this. Would really really appreciate it.

thanksss guys.
    Last edited by Kylez; 02-08-2009 at 01:50 AM.

Cricket Spectator

Seems like you

have some good ideas that you need to work through a bit. Its difficult without seeing you actually bowl. 2 other things to try are keep your non bowling arm high (elbow above eyes) for as long as you can and dont drop your head after release. You will be releasing the ball too late if you are bowling short rather than too early. Where does the ball go in terms of line? Wide of leg or off? What position does the seam hold on the way down?

mat
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Changing your action completely regularly is not recommended. Stick to what suits yourself and try and improve on you line and length from there, rather than trying to have an action that just works straight away. You oftenly hear 'practice makes perfect'. Bowl naturally, then tweak that style in the areas that you mentioned and practice and practice bowling at a line. You can smetimes feel when you are falling over, letting the ball go to early, etc.

It is always going to be difficult to help when we havnt seen your style, and you would normally get advise that you have already included in yoiur post. Ideally, you could post a video of yourself bowling for people to comment on, otherwise just keep practising.

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by knights12 View Post
    have some good ideas that you need to work through a bit. Its difficult without seeing you actually bowl. 2 other things to try are keep your non bowling arm high (elbow above eyes) for as long as you can and dont drop your head after release. You will be releasing the ball too late if you are bowling short rather than too early. Where does the ball go in terms of line? Wide of leg or off? What position does the seam hold on the way down?

Yeahh I might be like bending my back when I release the bal..and bowling short, So I need to keep my head straight and look where I bowl..and stay tall so I don't bend. The ball is landing short outside of stump pretty much every time.

Any more tips? thanks guys

School Boy/Girl Captain kevinpietersen's Avatar
    Just practice without a run up for a while.
    Favourite Bowler
    Jimmy Anderson
    Favourite Batsmen
    Kevin Pietersen who is sadly out injured for the Ashes.
    Favourite overall
    Kevin Pietersen

Okay, anyone other tips/help?

School Boy/Girl Captain kevinpietersen's Avatar
    Yes practice bringing your arm over straight and follow through to the stumps. To bowl full just release the ball earlier. But I don't recommend bowling full as batsmen will slog you.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpietersen View Post
    Yes practice bringing your arm over straight and follow through to the stumps. To bowl full just release the ball earlier. But I don't recommend bowling full as batsmen will slog you.
    So like aim my non bowling arm at the stumps, and what do you mean follow though to the stumps.

explain a little bit more mate thanks

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylez View Post
    So like aim my non bowling arm at the stumps, and what do you mean follow though to the stumps.

explain a little bit more mate thanks
    Don't fall away to the offside when you bowl, concentrate on your front arm pulling down forwards and not out to the side. Also get your head going forwards not to the side.

Don't fall away to the offside when you bowl, concentrate on your front arm pulling down forwards and not out to the side. Also get your head going forwards not to the side.
    Thanks mate that helps, any other gun advice mate?

Cricket Spectator
    Depends if you need any really. You could try to make sure that your follow through goes down the wicket to start with and not off to the side by placing cones or poles on your left in the follow through area so that you have to go straight...hope you understand what I mean.

Cricket Spectator

Follow-through

Incidently, only last week, I was coaching follow-through to one of the bowlers in our junior team. I was telling him to follow through straight and at least 6-7 yards.

Come match day and he was following my instructions. However, he was stopped by the umpire and told off for 'running on the wicket'. The player explained that he had been coached that way but the umpire would not listen. So the player had to shorten his follow-through and get off the wicket immediately after bowling.

Cricket Spectator

Akkers

yes well 6-7 yards is far too far. The bowler has I think 3 feet straight down the wicket then another 3 feet I think to be off to the side more. Is that 2 yards total?

Depends if you need any really. You could try to make sure that your follow through goes down the wicket to start with and not off to the side by placing cones or poles on your left in the follow through area so that you have to go straight...hope you understand what I mean.
    Yeah I think I do, as in after I release the ball..run straight, don't lean off towards the side early. Is that you mean?

Cricket Spectator
    <yes well 6-7 yards is far too far>

I read somewhere that the follow-through should be roughly half of the run-up distance,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information