• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowling Full help/tips

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
I'm having trouble bowling full in the nets and in the game, and also having a bit of trouble bowling at the stumps aswell. What could help this? Do I need to concentrate on the spot where I bowl the ball more? Am I trying to bowl to fast? And am I releasing the ball early or is my wrist in the wrong direction? Am I staying tall enough when I bowl? or bending my back ect or jumping to high when I bowl..could it be a run-up problem?, Or do I need to aim my non bowling arm at the stumps/ where I want to bowl. Or kind of put my body shape when I ball towards the direction I want the ball to go. Or is just an bowling action problem? I doubt its an action problem because I've seen poor bowlers who are really slow..ect bowl full deliveries, or should I change my action completely? I've done this a couple of times.

Help or tips please to improve this. Would really really appreciate it.

thanksss guys.

Last edited:

knights12

Cricket Spectator
Seems like you

have some good ideas that you need to work through a bit. Its difficult without seeing you actually bowl. 2 other things to try are keep your non bowling arm high (elbow above eyes) for as long as you can and dont drop your head after release. You will be releasing the ball too late if you are bowling short rather than too early. Where does the ball go in terms of line? Wide of leg or off? What position does the seam hold on the way down?

mat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Changing your action completely regularly is not recommended. Stick to what suits yourself and try and improve on you line and length from there, rather than trying to have an action that just works straight away. You oftenly hear 'practice makes perfect'. Bowl naturally, then tweak that style in the areas that you mentioned and practice and practice bowling at a line. You can smetimes feel when you are falling over, letting the ball go to early, etc.

It is always going to be difficult to help when we havnt seen your style, and you would normally get advise that you have already included in yoiur post. Ideally, you could post a video of yourself bowling for people to comment on, otherwise just keep practising.

Mat

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
have some good ideas that you need to work through a bit. Its difficult without seeing you actually bowl. 2 other things to try are keep your non bowling arm high (elbow above eyes) for as long as you can and dont drop your head after release. You will be releasing the ball too late if you are bowling short rather than too early. Where does the ball go in terms of line? Wide of leg or off? What position does the seam hold on the way down?

Yeahh I might be like bending my back when I release the bal..and bowling short, So I need to keep my head straight and look where I bowl..and stay tall so I don't bend. The ball is landing short outside of stump pretty much every time.

Any more tips? thanks guys

kevinpietersen

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yes practice bringing your arm over straight and follow through to the stumps. To bowl full just release the ball earlier. But I don't recommend bowling full as batsmen will slog you.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Yes practice bringing your arm over straight and follow through to the stumps. To bowl full just release the ball earlier. But I don't recommend bowling full as batsmen will slog you.
So like aim my non bowling arm at the stumps, and what do you mean follow though to the stumps.

explain a little bit more mate thanks :)

knights12

Cricket Spectator
So like aim my non bowling arm at the stumps, and what do you mean follow though to the stumps.

explain a little bit more mate thanks :)
Don't fall away to the offside when you bowl, concentrate on your front arm pulling down forwards and not out to the side. Also get your head going forwards not to the side.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Don't fall away to the offside when you bowl, concentrate on your front arm pulling down forwards and not out to the side. Also get your head going forwards not to the side.
Thanks mate that helps, any other gun advice mate?

knights12

Cricket Spectator
Depends if you need any really. You could try to make sure that your follow through goes down the wicket to start with and not off to the side by placing cones or poles on your left in the follow through area so that you have to go straight...hope you understand what I mean.

akkers

Cricket Spectator
Follow-through

Incidently, only last week, I was coaching follow-through to one of the bowlers in our junior team. I was telling him to follow through straight and at least 6-7 yards.

Come match day and he was following my instructions. However, he was stopped by the umpire and told off for 'running on the wicket'. The player explained that he had been coached that way but the umpire would not listen. So the player had to shorten his follow-through and get off the wicket immediately after bowling.

knights12

Cricket Spectator
Akkers

yes well 6-7 yards is far too far. The bowler has I think 3 feet straight down the wicket then another 3 feet I think to be off to the side more. Is that 2 yards total?

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Depends if you need any really. You could try to make sure that your follow through goes down the wicket to start with and not off to the side by placing cones or poles on your left in the follow through area so that you have to go straight...hope you understand what I mean.
Yeah I think I do, as in after I release the ball..run straight, don't lean off towards the side early. Is that you mean?

akkers

Cricket Spectator
<yes well 6-7 yards is far too far>

I read somewhere that the follow-through should be roughly half of the run-up distance,

knights12

Cricket Spectator
<yes well 6-7 yards is far too far>

I read somewhere that the follow-through should be roughly half of the run-up distance,
I meant that following through straight down the wicket for 6-7 yards is far too far. Thats a fair enough follow through but you should move off to the side after the first follow through step.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Thanks guys, I am going to do this next time I go to the nets

1. Keep my elbow above my head for as long as I can.
2. Concentrate on the spot I want to bowl
3. Relase the ball eariler.
4. Stay tall when I bowl, and dont drag my body and head down or away,
5. Aim my arm straight at the stumps and follow thorugh straight down sway off to the side.
6. Practice, and I might practive without a run up for a while and keep things simple.

What do you guys rekon? any more tips?

mat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Don't get to ahead of yourself, your current info. is more than enough to improve. Practise one thing at a time, and you will notice marginal improvements. Trying to many thing can confuse the hell out of yourself, just making things worse.