• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How to play outswingers

akkers

Cricket Spectator
Junior cricket - we are due to play a team where they have very good bowlers. They consistently bowl good length outswingers pobing the off-stump. They keep it very tight.

Our players do not have experience with such bowling. Whats the best tactic for the bastmen? How would you bat against such bowlers bearing in mind that its a 20 over match.

kevinpietersen

School Boy/Girl Captain
Send in the first batsmen to get a feel for the bowlers and have a look to see how much it is swinging. Then tell your batsmen to play on that stump so if they were going onto the offstump then play on the offstump so your stance would roufly be on leg stump. Judge it by the accuracy on the bowl.

knights12

Cricket Spectator
Really

the only short term thing you can do is tell them to get forward and play straight. Tell them that they are going to play and miss at times and not to get too negative about it and to concenttrate on the next ball. Apart from that, not much you can do in the short time you have.

kevinpietersen

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yes there is.Each club should have some pitchside nets go in them get a shiny ball and give them throughdowns which will then swing.

knights12

Cricket Spectator
Yes there is.Each club should have some pitchside nets go in them get a shiny ball and give them throughdowns which will then swing.
This is something that I would do long before it becomes a problem but I think given that it seems very close to the game it is better to give them some tactics rather than try to increase their skill level which will probably fail when under pressure in a game.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Key is staying side-on. Don't let your shoulders open up, because then all you can do is poke at the ball once it goes past.

Riggins

International Captain
This is something that I would do long before it becomes a problem but I think given that it seems very close to the game it is better to give them some tactics rather than try to increase their skill level which will probably fail when under pressure in a game.
Knights is dead right, don't try to complicate things by changing up your techniques too much or getting too caught up in changing up your styles.

Just try to be positive..don't get caught on the crease..either get right the way forwards or right the way back.

Be Positive...and PLAY STRAIGHT.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
From a coaching perpective, make sure they have the correct guard. They need to know where there off stump if and what they can leave and what will hit the stumps. You want to try and get their eyes (depending on their age) in line with off stump.

From my own POV, I look to get forward and go over the bowlers head. I find outswing drifts nicely onto a lofted straight drive. Ive always found weight transfer important against outswing. An angled bat and throwing the hands invites trouble.

Last edited: