• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Working out/ Practice session for the off season

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Hi Guys,

Next month I will be mssing 1,5 weeks of cricket due to a well deserved holiday.
I was wondering what you would advice to me as a kind of practice session work out for the off season and moments I will not be playing Cricket.

In September the indoorcricket starts untill May so that's good.
For the moment I'm running 3 days a week ( March-October) and Swimming twice a week.
Might go swimming 4 times a week during winter, just need to stay in shape.

Tom M

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
x2 above. My personal advice would be:

If I were you, I'd cut out so much of the distance work. It's not cricket specific enough. You'd be much better off doing GPP, interval running or a strength endurance workout. If you really want to do some roadwork, I'd keep it to once per week. There are much quicker and more specific ways to improve your stamina.

I would definitely start doing some strength training. If you've never done any strength work before, start with circuit training with simple exercises like push-ups, pull-ups (although don't expect to do many), body-weight squats, burpees etc. After 3-4 weeks, I would suggest moving onto a different modality, either barbells or dumbbells. Kettlebells are a bit too expensive for my liking but still cool. If you're willing to research it you could even do bodweight excersises, which would by far be the cheapest choice.

If you want a strict answer, this is how I'll be training in the off season. Be warned though, this is taylor made by me for me and fits my current level of fitness.

MON: Strength endurance work (Ross Enamait's Warrior Challenges) with finishing exercise
TUES: Interval Running, varying distances from 800m down to 50m/Core Workout
WED: Active Rest/ Secret Stretching exercises haha
THURS: Max Strength Workout with finisher (example farmers walk or sandbag shoulders)
FRI: GPP/Core
SAT: Explosive Strength workout, lots of Olympic lifts etc with home-made bulgarian bag finisher
SUN: Active Rest (i.e. 20 minute jog or nice bike ride if I'm not in London), Secret Stretching

I'll be cycling exercises and modalities every 3 weeks between barbell, dumbbells and bodyweight training

This isn't set in stone, as I'll have to see when day I have nets, gymnastics etc, but I'll fit in my own private technique practise probably before the strength workouts

hope this helps.

Last edited:

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Thnx guys,

I was thinking of picking up rugby again or just train with the guys.
Improving my strength isn't a bad idea :happy:

And I also keep the pitchfeeling going on, as our pitch isn't that equal I sometimes have the feeling a push my knees to the limited, it can also be caused by my footwear ( will buy cricketshoes very soon)

micoach

I think strength training is highly under-rated in the cricket world. It does have an unfair stigma but the simple fact is the stronger you are the less likely you are to get injured.

Tom M

I think strength training is highly under-rated in the cricket world. It does have an unfair stigma but the simple fact is the stronger you are the less likely you are to get injured.
Agreed, and I'll add it will probably help your throwing and bowling (if you know what you're doing)