• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Just to see if anyone is interested...

Tom M

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hello everyone,

I know I've been saying a lot of stuff on the forum without really telling people what I've been talking about. The reason why I've been very selective in what I've been saying is becuase I feel that my work places a different emphasis on mechanics than the only real bowling coach that I know of, Ian Pont, and so I feel I deserve more than giving away my ideas for free. Pont's views are different to mine, I think mainly due to his background in baseball.

So, after some extensive research, I'm planning on writing a short pdf to sum up what I have found. I have a huge quantity of evidence in favour of my findings so that will be included, as well as drills that I've developed to teach the techniques.

If I charged £10 for the pdf, would anyone be interested in buying a copy? Nothing set in stone, I would just like to see whether it would be worth the effort.

Cheers,

Tom

mat

£10 isnt too bad to be fair, but i wouldnt purchase it, only because im a tightarse and i dont buy things off the internet. Is a good idea none-the less and sure would be able to find buyers with a bit of advertisement, like this forum. Out of interest, how short is 'short'?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Would be interested in a small sample to see what sort of stuff it'd consist of.

micoach

I'll pay you a tenner for one.

I would be interested in helping promote your work too. As you know I run the biggest coaching website on the web so there are loads of people who would be interested in what you have to say.

drop me an email im at www.pitchvision.com/contact, David Hinchliffe

Tom M

Interesting feedback. Dave, thank you, I will contacting you in the future.

I will provide a sample soon, but in the mean time I can outline the principles which my research has highlighted as most important:

- Generation of kinetic energy in the run-up
- Stretching of elastic tissue prior to release
- Effeciently transferring kinetic energy to the ball.

There are two ways of improving these principles:

- Technique work
- Strength Conditioning work (includes stretching and flexibility work)

The book will outline the technique, demonstrate how to learn the technique and discuss the right way to do strength conditioning work for cricket. In my opinion, technique work is vastly more important. It is often forgotten that the cricket ball is only 150g, how strong do you have to be to throw or bowl that?

The principles mentioned above can theoretically be applied to bowling with ease. Actually applying it requires hard work, but from my findings it is certainly achiveable. From work with myself and my u11's, the most basic mechanics can be learnt in an hour. My most receptive young bowler was bowling noticeably quicker one session later, although there is still much work to be done on his technique.

I would also stress that although Ian Pont and I are discussing fast bowling, we have vastly different approaches. This is no criticism of Pont, but unlike his book 'The Fast Bowler's Bible' my work will explain why what I suggest works, and why you shouldn't worry about a lot of the stuff that gets taught.

I cannot promise that you'll be able to pick up the book, go down the nets and bowl 10-15 mph quicker. However, I would say that if you worked at it for half a year you would see measureable, significant improvements in your bowling speed and accuracy.

Cheers,

Tom

Rasterius

Cricket Spectator
I would buy it if it was in the shops but I live in Aus and I would have to convince my parents to let me buy it....
Sounds really interesting anyway, good to see a scientific approach finally being taken in our game!

knights12

Cricket Spectator
I don't mean to be negative but generally if it sounds too good to be true...it generally is. Am interested to know more though.

micoach

I think the key is proving it. I spoke to Tom yesterday at length on the phone and I feel his ideas have a very practical grounding.

the next step is to turn theory into quick bowlers. Tom is doing that on himself and hopefully with the help of my site we can do the same with others.

knights12

Cricket Spectator
Cool, yeah you look about 20 haha! So whats this pitchvision stuff all about...your website doesnt quite make it clear. Is it video analysis or just stats or something different? And how does it decrease skill learning times?

micoach

I hope this does not constitiute spam/advertising (sorry if it does mods)

PitchVision is a 'hawkeye' like technology for clubs and schools. You can see more about it here:

YouTube - PitchVision being demonstrated
YouTube - The New PitchVision Cricket System

So if you want to know how fast you bowl, how accurate you are, where you hit the ball and loads of other stuff, PV has all the stats you see on TV.

We also have an online Academy which gives you coaching over the net from big name coaches using videos, diagrams, worksheets, articles, discussion forums and audio. You can see how that works here:

YouTube - PitchVision Academy - Online elite cricket coaching

Again sorry mods if this is an ad, but I was asked!

micoach

Yes

It can compare footwork to length of bowling.
It can also tell you how far and hard you hit the ball.
The bowler can use a laptop to set a field and the system will tell you if you were out or not if you hit it in the air.

knights12

Cricket Spectator
Ok so now for a seriously probing question, hope you are not offended. You mention the 10,000 hours theory and that using pitchvision can reduce this, but the 10,000 hours is a skill learning thing so how can stats on where the ball landed, how fast it was going etc speed up the learning of a new skill? Skill learning is about feeling, feedback (which you do get some from this system, but it is result feedback not actually on the performance of the skill) repetition and evaluation. Spending however much for a system like this cannot replace having a coach to give you immediate specific feedback, or the questions/tips they ask/give. What actual use does it have for skill development other than giving some occasionally handy stats that could be taken by a coach with a clipboard and a pitch map?

knights12

Cricket Spectator
I guess that part of the question is regarding learning a new skill but even a skilled performer who is looking to become an expert performer...shouldnt they increase their ability to evaluate their performance themselves rather than relying on a computer system whcih cannot be out on the field telling them what to do as they go? I think your system definately has its uses but maybe not the ones you are claiming...am I being unfair?

micoach

I'm not sure PV could reduce the 10,000 hour rule. If we say that anywhere in our materials I think that is wrong. We can't prove it anyway.

it is also not designed to replace a coach. No way could it do that! A great coach can use it as a tool. Just like a bowling machine can't replace a coach but it can help the coach make you better.

What it does do is give you an objective measure of improvement. Say you are a fast bowler and you want to bowl faster. You track your speed on a PV system, your coach gives you drills which you try then measure again. If you are faster you can pat your coach on the back.

Thats just one example. There are loads of other applications and thats why people like the SA national team and the indoor schools at Headingly and Lord's have installed it.

We have never had objective measures before. PV fills that gap.

great question though.

knights12

Cricket Spectator
Thats good....I obviously misinterpreted the 10,000 hour article on your website. What you just said makes complete sense and I agree entirely.