• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Bat Repair - some advice needed!

The Simmonds

Cricket Spectator
Hi,

I've just played cricket with my friends (pretty expensive) bat in the nets and damaged it... he's not happy. Like an idiot I stepped back to try and play a shot and instead hit the top of the metal stumps. Its made a circular indent in the centre of the bat towards the bottom and I want to, as best I can, put it right for him. The bat isn't cracked, it just has this circular indent from the hitting the top of the stumps, is there anyway I can repair so that it doesn't really affect the performance of the bat?

Many thanks,

Matt

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Hi,

I've just played cricket with my friends (pretty expensive) bat in the nets and damaged it... he's not happy. Like an idiot I stepped back to try and play a shot and instead hit the top of the metal stumps. Its made a circular indent in the centre of the bat towards the bottom and I want to, as best I can, put it right for him. The bat isn't cracked, it just has this circular indent from the hitting the top of the stumps, is there anyway I can repair so that it doesn't really affect the performance of the bat?

Many thanks,

Matt
Wood filler.
Thats right take woodfiller with a small quantity of the glue used for wood. Mix them to make a paste and fill the dent. We have a brand of glue called araldit its a white epoxy based glue. You may have something similar.

Put a soft tape on it. By soft I mean not a cloth tape but one of the weaker, transclucent, ones you can get from a pharmacy. Leave it overnight or maybe for 24 hours and it should be fine.

Leave the tape on ideally. Not for strength but for looks.

kevinpietersen

School Boy/Girl Captain
NO NO NO DONT DO ANY OF THAT ABOVE. YOU COULD DO THAT BAT MORE DAMAGE. You can buy certain repair kits for under £10. Juust buy one of them and follow the instructions in them. Try to buy the repair kit that is the same make as the bat. (e.g If you have a GM bat try to get a GM kit) if you can't find one just get any.#
Hope that helps

jathu

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I also recently broke my cricket bat and I gave it to this other guy and he filled it in with fibre glass...and now its good as new...

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Some of my friends also had a simular situation. It all depends what kind of batsman uses the bat afterwards. Oneof our player is a powerhitter and has broken already 2 bats this season. I reckon if you would give him a fixed bat he may break it aswell.

Anyway, good luck with the repair.

Do brands such as GM and Gray Nicolls don't offer a repair service for their customers?

kevinpietersen

School Boy/Girl Captain
They do offer a repair service but you have to take the bat to the shop you bought it from and they will send it off to the company. They will not just fix a bat for any old person arriving at there factory.

tevans

Cricket Spectator
Dab a bit of water on a small bit of tissue and leave it on that area over night. The willow will re-expand. Sand the spot with a 200+ grit sandpaper to smooth out.

The performance won't be affected at the moment by the way, the damage will be purely superficial.

tevans

Cricket Spectator
Sorry Kevin Pietersen, who are you? How many bats have you made? Which factories have you worked at? You obviously know more than me.

Last edited:

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lets face it, the performance of the bat isn't going to be tip top once the face has been smashed by the top of a metal stump.

All the suggestions suggested are of a purely cosmetic nature and won't harm the bat any more than it has been.

Time to stop rubbishing suggestions and actually come out with some yourself.

nelsonrouw

Cricket Spectator
hey kevin p
i got this bat that my grandpa found and i want to repair it
it has horizontal cracks all over it,
whats the best thing for me to do about it???

Diesel1

Cricket Spectator
Well o have the same problem I has just brought a new kookaburra and I used it in the net and the bottom right in the toe it has indented the wood has gone in at the bottom. So the toe guard sticks out and the wood has gone in can some one help me please as I have a cricket match this saturday

the Batdoctor

Cricket Spectator
The Simmonds.... If the ding is spot treated with water as suggested it will not affect the bats performance long term. If the bat has been properly oiled it may not work so well as the water would be repelled. I use a resin to mend dings and busted toe ends that is used in window frame repairs as it is flexible to an extent. fibreglass suggested earlier would be too brittle a type of adhesive for a long term fix.

This damage will not affect the bat at all anyway.....

Last edited: