• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Junior or Senior Bats

kevinpietersen

School Boy/Girl Captain
I was having a look on cricket direct and I was having a look on the Icon Original. It was £219. Then i scrolled down and the only sizes were short handle and long handle. So I went back to the GM page and scrolled down. There was a junior version that was £100 cheaper. And the sizes were 4,5,6,H. I want to know if there is anything different than the Senior version?
Thanks

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Quality of the willow generally is not as good in junior bats. Also, the most obvious difference being the sizes. However, be sure not to get a bat that is too big for you.

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Junior bats are in general lighter and depending on the size also smaller ( makes sense).
My first bat, that I used to learn the game with and play on the beach, park, greenstroke in NZ was a white label 6 (size) it was so light you could easily use it with one hand.

Personally I think the quality is a bit less then when you buy a senior bat, juniors play with smaller and lighter balls as well.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Quality of the willow generally is not as good in junior bats. Also, the most obvious difference being the sizes. However, be sure not to get a bat that is too big for you.
This. Depends on your company, though - a small firm will likely use the same quality wood for all the bats. GM are likely to use slightly inferior kit.

tevans

Cricket Spectator
Just because a bat says it's the same grade doesn't mean it was bought as the same grade from the willow supplier.

Jnr clefts are cheaper, that discount is passed onto the buyer.

tevans

Cricket Spectator
Ok, with Clefts. There's Mens G1-4 these are occasionally used for Jnr bats. You then get the other mens grades, Vellum, Y2, Y3, handmade etc. You then on top of that have Colts, Boys, Vellum boys, reject boys etc etc

Just because you buy a G1+ (which incidentally is a grade which is a grade which doesn't exist) doesn't mean you're getting a G1 cleft. Jnr bats are cheaper, therefore cheaper clefts are used. Why would you use a cleft which makes a £200 bat if you've got a load which can make Jnr bats.

Last edited:

kevinpietersen

School Boy/Girl Captain
Aaahhh I see but I'm only 13 (nearly) so I'm not ready to move on to full size bats so I will be staying with junior bats i Think.

mat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I Harrow is probaly more than enough for a 13 yo, depending on your hight ofcourse. I had my H (english willow) for nearly two years and didnt have too much trouble up until 14ish(probaly 2 years from your age now) when it got a bit small for me. Although i am a bowler and didnt use it all to often

Mat

kevinpietersen

School Boy/Girl Captain
NO WAY WILL I EVER BUY A HARROW BAT. They are shocking a boy in my team uses one. He slogs the ball over fielders and it don't even go for a four. I can spend up to £170 on a bat I am not going to buy a harrow one.:@:@:@