• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Planning of buying a new bat.

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Hi guys,

With the clubs UK tour coming up in 3 weeks, I had the idea to have a look for a new bat. Budget would be around £ 200.

As most of my fellow team mates stick to their favourite brand, such as; Malik, GM, Gray Nicolls, Puma, Slazenger, Centurion, Woodworm, Adidas, Reebok Etc.... and allowing me using and checking their bat as well. I can only concluder that the plethora of brands and bats is creating an overkill for me at the moment. ☺

I’m searching for a light bat, preferably a Full Handle. As I mentioned in another topic, I do have a catalogue from an UK cricket store and some brands mention the Full Handle size in their range, others don’t.

For the moment I’m using a Kookaburra Ice sub 40 ( my first bat) for competiion and practice and a Kookaburra Kahuna Warrior also for competition ( loving the last bat).

I don’t know if I will buy a new w bat during the trip or just during a random visit to the UK.

All tips, hints etc... are welcome.

Thanks.

I was thinking of giving the Reebok Centurion a closer look.

PS. Is there something like love at first sight when you see a bat?
While typing this I remember buying my first bat just because I saw it and knew it was something for me, turned out to bean awesome bat, some of my team mates using it as well.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Well, you can't really go toowrong when buying a bat, look around do some research and choose what's best for you!

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
I know, but some of the bats I tested during this season are older models that aren't for sale anymore now.

Maybe I should put it like this, which brand are really really worth giving a look at?

In August I will be in the UK for 4 days playing 3 games, so only 1 day to do some possible shopping.

kevinpietersen

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well definetly have a look at GM, Gray Nichols, Kookaburra They are the best companies for bats. I recomend pushing your budget to £270
With this money you can get a bat with an out standing performance it is the GM Icon DXM Original Limited Edition (LE)
The price of it is £269.95 Absolutely brilliant bat. I tryed one today and put a defencive shot. Of course it was my first shot with the bat I put in a little bit of power just enough to roll past the bowler with a £100 - £200 bat but this went straight for four easy. We didn't even have to run because we new it was going straight for four after the speed coming off the bat. The bowler was scared with the speed coming off it.
Another bat you could try is the Kookaburra Kahuana another great bat with very thick edges like the GM DXM Icon Original LE.
Hope this helps.

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Thnx mate, I was thinking of giving the GM Hero DMX or Catalyst as already played with them. Lovely bats.

Which bat out of the Kahuna range is simular with my Kahuna warrior? This bat is absolutly brilliant.

kevinpietersen

School Boy/Girl Captain
Kookaburra Kahuna Ricky Ponting Cricket Bat
£259.95 I think this is the best affordable bat in the kahuana range. Try and get this.

mat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
It is repetetively preached that you should shop around for a bat that suits your pick-up, weight, etc. rather than what suits other people. Continue trying other bats if possible until you find the bat for you.

Mat

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Thnx man, but I was just trying to figure out which brands are really worth checking.
I amuse not every cricket shop has the same range. By tonite I will put a top 5 list online and will see what happes then.

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Aight these are the bats/ brands I will check out.

1) Reebok Centurion ( if they still sell it)
2) GM ( Icon - Hero- Catalyst)
3) Kookaburra Kahuna, Ice
4) Adidas ( that Kevin Pietersen bat)
5) Gray nicolls

Additionally that Sher Afridi pro model by Malik.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Brand names don't matter, what matters is the willow, curve, thickness, and grip/blade balance of the bat. It could be any brand who might make a gem of bat, i.e. Malik Sher Amin makes the most incrediblly balanced bats for hitting they are curvy, and have a thick middle. GM, GN, are bats for openers they don't have a curve they are straighter and are best for stroke players who open most of the time, or max 1 down position. Not my cup of tea.....

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
The problem for me is that in most cases I get ran out or a catchball on the boundarie.
The bowler hit the wickets only once, during my first game. And as I already practiced with a lot of bats I guess the bets thing to do is check all the bats and see which pleases me the most.

That's why I mentioned a top 5, don't really have a brnad to which I stick, except maybe Kookaburra.

Howzatone

I recommend Fusion Sports, or Warsop Stebbing. Fantastic, custom made bats, which are miles better value than the big brands.

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
I will see how long I can still use both my Kookaburra bats, a friend of mine who's playing for another team told me that during his university period he was playing for his uni and he just had bought a £200 bat, he hit the ball wrongly ( at the bottom of the blade, where your grip starts) and he broke his bat. :blink:

Just need to play 10 more games this season, might pick it up when I'm going for X-mas shopping in December

kevinpietersen

School Boy/Girl Captain
:laugh:Do not get Puma, Reebok or Slazenger. Just get bats from brands which only work on cricket not loads of other sports aswell.

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
To start the topic again.I just had a chat with my coach.
He adviced me to go for a Long handle and keep my budget around £100-£120 as I'm just a rookie.

I agree on it, is there a huge difference in quality e.g. between a £100 and a £200 cricket bat?

Thnx

mat

As they say, 'you get what you pay for'. This being said you may find a better quality bat for cheaper, but more often than not the more you pay, the better. Your coach probaly knows your cricket style 2nd best- after yourself, ofcourse - but go for what you feel right. You've probaly been told, but the quality tends to depend on the grade of willow the bat is, this applying to English willow. Do your research, shop around and you'll find thre bat for you.

Mat

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Thanks mate, I've be doing some E-research and for now I'm keen on GM, Gray Nicolls and Kookaburra. All the bats they offer are English Willow. A mate of mine is playing cricket for his Uni and he might be able to fix a discount in their shop.

pako007

hey amo i sell cricket bats, i have a new Bubber Sher bat that of afridi. if you are willing to see or buy it just reply to me. if you want to have a look at the bat the pictures are on:
Hamidpako786.hyves.nl
just give it a look.
the weight is: 2.8
price: 200 euro
graines: 12

it bats like a king, a south african, exchange player wanted to trade his kookaburra one to this one.

give me a reply if u are interested