• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

working on my blockshot

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Hi guys,

Today we had an interclub practice as the opposite team had some difficulties finding a complete XI for today’s friendly.

When I was practicing my batting in the cage, I noticed that whenever I play a block shot 9/10 the ball makes an upward curve after I touched it with my bat. This creates an amazing opportunity for the bowler or any close fielder to go for a catch ball.

Sorry I don't have any footage off this.

But how can I make sure the ball hits the pitch first before bouncing up?

Thanks.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Hi guys,

Today we had an interclub practice as the opposite team had some difficulties finding a complete XI for today’s friendly.

When I was practicing my batting in the cage, I noticed that whenever I play a block shot 9/10 the ball makes an upward curve after I touched it with my bat. This creates an amazing opportunity for the bowler or any close fielder to go for a catch ball.

Sorry I don't have any footage off this.

But how can I make sure the ball hits the pitch first before bouncing up?

Thanks.
That's your problem, don't let it TOUCH your bat, get your weight right over the ball and force it die down .

mat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
By the sounds of it you are platying at the ball to early, or as you said with to much of an angle upwards. Ideally you want to wait for the ball to come onto the bat, rather than poking at it. I find if you take your stride forward and play it when it is under your eyes when looking down at your front foot, you will more often than not play it straight down, or down enough.

Mat

kevinpietersen

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sounds like you are stretching for the ball to much. Just wait for the ball to bunce then judge the shot. If it bounces quite high then you could step onto your backfoot then angle your bat down and put the bat in front of the ball (obviously not if the ball is going over the wicket make sure you judge the bounce right). If the ball isn't bouncing as high come out to the ball and angle the bat down. yet again put the bat in front of the ball.
Try that tell us if it works or not.

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
Ok,thnx for the tips.

Today I had some quick shots as I was scorer. By making the angle smaller the problem dissapeared :laugh: but I was'nt wearing a helmet. When playing games I often have ht issue that my helmet is limiting my sight. I reckon practice is the key to succes.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend guys.

kevinpietersen

School Boy/Girl Captain
Just practice wearing your helmet around your house. Just for about an hour or so so you can get use to what you can see through it and the extra weight on your head.

mat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
You can usually adjust the grill on your helmet to make it easier to see, although obviously dont make it so big that the ball could be able to fit through.

Mat

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Try and make sure that your top hand is dominating the shot, this will mean that your weight has to get through the ball to do this and creates a better angle with your bat.

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
I'm working on it, for the moment I have a run rate of 16 in my first cricket season ever, started out this May.

I think the problem is that I need a Full Handle instead of a Short Handle, as I' m rather tall, nearly 2 m. When batting I’m gently bending my knees but sometimes my back as well.

On Wednesday I gonna spend some time in the nets.

kevinpietersen

School Boy/Girl Captain
You should definetly look at a Long Handle bat for next season if your having problems with your short handle.
Short Handle bats are light so they are easy to swing around at the ball not mean't for loads of blockshots.

Amobokobokoboko

U19 12th Man
I was thinking of starting a new topic asking you guys for an opinion about decent bats. I have a catalog of a cricket shop that also ships oversea. Some brands indicate they sell Full Handle others don't indicate it.

As I'm off for lunch now, I will post the topic asap.

Cheers

kevinpietersen

School Boy/Girl Captain
Don't go adjusting the grill on your helmet just get use to it then get a new bat then just go to the nets about 3 times just to get used to your bat.