• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Learning Off-spin

kuranui

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hey everyone. im 16 years old, playing for my schools seconds team as middle order batsman. Im sick of being one of only two people in my team who lack the ability to bowl or even chip in a few overs. Bowling in the nets, i have realised that i fail miserably at it. no matter what i do, i can not get any pace on it at all, and have little control. So ive decided to give off spin a go.

Its leading up to the summer here in New Zealand, so its an ideal time for me to start practicing. Has anyone got some tips, ideas or drills that i can use to practice leading up to the cricket season.

I havent taken much notice of spin bowling and what makes a good one( probably why they get me out so much lol), so if anyone could just describe the aspects of spin bowling so i know it quite well.'

Thanks in advance.

Hooper

I am an off-spinner, the first thing is...Prepared to get tonked!

Off spinners get tonked easily because a lot of players just give you the slog over mid-wicket. You need to be able to get a good off spinner cranking first, making sure to get your line right. You need to keep it on or just outside off stump if your not a big turner of the ball - anything on the legs and expect to get hit. There is little margain for error. Once you get the simple off break going, get onto some variety, like an arm ball (the one that drifts from leg to off, a top-spinner (goes straight on with extra bounce) and my own ball I do. My own one I do, which used to always work for at least one wicket a match is to bowl and absolute dart, low and hard at the wickets. Its always good for a bowled or LBW. The key is to walk up to the crease with your usual run up, making sure you don't give it away and BAM! Dart it in and you should get some of the lesser batsman bamboozled.

Thats just a general ramble about off-spinners, but yeah, if you want some other tips on specific things then just ask.

kuranui

I am an off-spinner, the first thing is...Prepared to get tonked!

Off spinners get tonked easily because a lot of players just give you the slog over mid-wicket. You need to be able to get a good off spinner cranking first, making sure to get your line right. You need to keep it on or just outside off stump if your not a big turner of the ball - anything on the legs and expect to get hit. There is little margain for error. Once you get the simple off break going, get onto some variety, like an arm ball (the one that drifts from leg to off, a top-spinner (goes straight on with extra bounce) and my own ball I do. My own one I do, which used to always work for at least one wicket a match is to bowl and absolute dart, low and hard at the wickets. Its always good for a bowled or LBW. The key is to walk up to the crease with your usual run up, making sure you don't give it away and BAM! Dart it in and you should get some of the lesser batsman bamboozled.

Thats just a general ramble about off-spinners, but yeah, if you want some other tips on specific things then just ask.

Thanks, that cleared up a few things. One thing i wanted to know specifically was what the run up and proper bowling action should be? i heard that its for spinners, rhythm is reall important for the run up. If someone could clear this up, id be greatfull.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Get a run up, practice, practice, practice, and when you have finished practicing, practice some more. Hooper has raised some good points. First develop your stock ball, the off break, then when you have got that working, learn and practice your variations.

I can't help you with tactics seeing as I don't know if you are looping it up looking for wickets, bowling flat and fast as a defensive bowler or what. But ask me or the other guys around if you need any help.

micoach

if you are serious about it, you can't bowl enough. Bowl to people in nets, bowl on your own, bowl in your back garden, bowl with an orange in the kitchen. Bowl, bowl, bowl.

Spin takes a lot of time and effort to learn even to bowl a good line and length, that's before your variations.

It's a great idea to have another string to your bow though.

slowfinger

International Debutant
The main thing you have to do is, get the variation going. Once you get your main ball going ,make him expect it and throw in something else , but dont't make it obvious with a change of action or anything or he will see it. People often try and hit you if you dont spin it much but with your variation a pretty good batsman good miss a middle stump bowl and get bowled or stumped.

(note: the more you learn to spin it the more you will HAVE to adjust your game accordingly.)

The Action should be natural and comfortable for you, oh yeah, this is VERY important , if they hit you afor a couple of fours, use it to your advantage, the bastman will feel more relaxed and will do it more often, so mix it up and make him feel uncomfortable so he will miss a few and get bowled or stumped.

Hope it helps

knights12

Cricket Spectator
A couple of more specific tips for you...

Find a run up that comfortably allows you to get side on at the crease and enough momentum to get up and over your front leg as you deliver the ball. To get over your front leg more easily offspinners generally require a shorter delivery stride than medium/fast bowlers, this can be a difficult thing to adjust for some. Learn the proper grip on the ball then realise that the forefinger is the most important part for imparting spin (on the right angle) and dip on the ball. The forefinger should go up and over the ball so that the ball travels towards the batsman on a 45 degree angle (quite hard to do). Finish by pivoting on your front leg and emphasise the the forefinger action by following it through all the way like you are going to pick your nose with it; ie dont throw it to the leg side, rotate it all the way across your body and up towards your nose.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just a bump as I've got a question of my own.
Over the last few weeks I've developed a horrible problem of controlling my length. I was told by a bloke to ease up, keep my chin up when bowling and rather than worry about where I'm going to put the ball just try to count the revolutions on the ball.
He said that my body knows what it should be doing and where it should be putting the ball so I should just leave it do what it's meant to and focus on something different.

Has anybody got any other quite quirky methods of sorting out similar problems?