• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

GM Icon 909

kevinpietersen

School Boy/Girl Captain
I was going to buy the Gunn and Moore Icon 909 DXM Cricket bat but i was wondering if anyone had one and i wanted to know what it is like.
Please could you leave comments telling me what the bat is like.
Thanks

King Pietersen

International Captain
I have one. It's awesome. Best bat I've ever used. Buy it. Here are a few pics for ya:

The edge comparison picture is a comparison with a Woodworm Gold Hard Drive, which was my last bat before the GM Icon.

kevinpietersen

School Boy/Girl Captain
Has the bat got an anti scruff sheet on it? And please could you send me the width of the edge.
Thanks looks like a great bat!

King Pietersen

International Captain
Yeh, the bat came with an anti-scruff sheet and a toe guard. I'm not sure of the actual width of the edge, but they're thick, that's for sure. The edge on my GM is huge compared to my WW Hard Drive. They're very thick edges, the middle is huge. I've hit a cover drive off a spliced mis-timed shot for 4. It really is a superb bat, comes highly reccomended from me!

kevinpietersen

School Boy/Girl Captain
Have you got any marks on the blade from where you have hit the ball because I use the GM Catalyst 808 and it is just covered in marks from the ball. I only use red and white balls and i have got orange, blue, yellow, and orange marks.
Thanks

slowfinger

International Debutant
Yeh, the bat came with an anti-scruff sheet and a toe guard. I'm not sure of the actual width of the edge, but they're thick, that's for sure. The edge on my GM is huge compared to my WW Hard Drive. They're very thick edges, the middle is huge. I've hit a cover drive off a spliced mis-timed shot for 4. It really is a superb bat, comes highly reccomended from me!
Why compare it with a harddrivee compare witha a megabite.

PLAYBOYXIII

Cricket Spectator
Ive Just bought a 909 its says it dont need knocking in because it is "GM NOW" all it needs is "PLAYING IN" which is catch hitting and throw downs with an old ball, but do u think on the safe side i should still knock it in with a mallet ?

As soon as its ready and i use it i will report back on my findings but it looks a great bat !

whats the typical amount of grains for a 909 ?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Ive Just bought a 909 its says it dont need knocking in because it is "GM NOW" all it needs is "PLAYING IN" which is catch hitting and throw downs with an old ball, but do u think on the safe side i should still knock it in with a mallet ?

As soon as its ready and i use it i will report back on my findings but it looks a great bat !

whats the typical amount of grains for a 909 ?
Definitely knock in. This ready-play business is all rubbish - I've never seen a new bat that possesses a surface that doesn't retain seam marks when you hit across the edge.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
ok i will definately knock it in thanks mate

how long do u suggest i knock it in for ?
I generally tell kids six hours with a mallet or an old ball, which usually makes them do two to three... which will usually be enough so long as it's the whole surface and particularly across the edges and the toe. Then you can try using the bat for catching drills or netting with an old ball. If seam marks get left then it needs more knocking in!

kevinpietersen

School Boy/Girl Captain
The GM NOW service is rubbish. The toeguard falls off the scuff sheet get wrecked quickly and it is not knocked in. You need to knock it for another 2 hours or so. Just replace everything that came on the bat. That is your best bet.

PLAYBOYXIII

Cricket Spectator
ok well ive gone to it now for about an hour today (got arms like popeye now :-D )

and will give it another hour or so tomorrow then will take it to nets for some light practise playing in

will the bowling balls from a bowling machine be ok to use on it or does it need to be "REAL" cricket balls ?

cheers

kevinpietersen

School Boy/Girl Captain
You know neil said if you get seam marks on your bat you haven't knocked it in enough. Well actually you have. GM NOW comes with a Anti Scuff sheet on. Every scuff sheet is going to get marks on don't worry about that. Start with Real Balls on Medium pace. Then move to bowling machines at medium pace. Then do the same but at fast pace. If you want you could remove the scuff sheet off the bat. You will need to lightly sand off the splinters on the bat. Then oil the bat. Knock it in for 2hr and 30 mins. Then if you want, you don't have to, put a new cover on the bat. Can be bought at good sports stores. Some stores will put it on for you.
Hope that helps

mat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The difference between a seam mark on the scuff sheet and a seam mark on the actual face on the bat should be pretty distinguishable. Seam marks on the scuff sheet are relatively minute, and only really noticed when looked at in light. Whereas, a seam mark on the blade is often a large dent in the willow, an indication that the bat needs more knocking in too prolong its usabiltiy.