• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Leg Spin Problem

legspin

Cricket Spectator
Under Pressure

When I'm bowling Leg Spin I get under pressure beacuse sometimes the bowlers can smack it.
And when I mess up my bowling beacuse I am under pressure they smack it even harder!

Can somebody give me tips on what to do

Theres two theads each on differnet subjects on Leg spin, so dont get confused.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Practice, practice, practice - in pressure situations. Play six-a-side where people are going after you, or get your mates to bat in the net against you in the situation they're taking you on every ball - then you wil have realistic practice of what it's like, "stressing you out" and putting you under pressure.

Make sure you have a plan about what you're going to do - whether toss it up more and encourage them to hit straight again either over mid-off or long-off, or go round the wicket and dart it into the legs... of course this is dependent on your long term aims, field setting, captaincy, and the game situation. The most important thing is practising executing your skills under the pressure. Do you play club/school/district? What style of situation are people getting after you, and how do you generally respond to it?

legspin

Cricket Spectator
Practice, practice, practice - in pressure situations. Play six-a-side where people are going after you, or get your mates to bat in the net against you in the situation they're taking you on every ball - then you wil have realistic practice of what it's like, "stressing you out" and putting you under pressure.

Make sure you have a plan about what you're going to do - whether toss it up more and encourage them to hit straight again either over mid-off or long-off, or go round the wicket and dart it into the legs... of course this is dependent on your long term aims, field setting, captaincy, and the game situation. The most important thing is practising executing your skills under the pressure. Do you play club/school/district? What style of situation are people getting after you, and how do you generally respond to it?

Thanks for helping me :)
Anyway when I'm underpressure I try and bowl leggies into the feet and it spins out. Sometimes not much spin is genarated when I'm underpressure.
When I try and bowl at the feet it comes out landing as the far left stumps. :huh:
I play school

AussieLad

Cricket Spectator
I am a 31 yr old Australian who started bowling leggies when I was about 13, I am currently living and playing up in Scotland. As per your other response, you should practice and practice possibly more than anyone else at your club! in the nets, often by yourself or with a mate batting or keeping as you have to gain some confidence in your action and landing your deliveries. You just have to keep at it, and persevere...it takes a long time to be consistent! Dont be worried about getting hit as over time you will get better and better...Hopefully you are not playing against senior guys all the time as this may make it difficult to get your confidence going.

When you are just trying to get the hang of it, it is important to understand the basics of how to bowl your leggie. You have probably already seen this clip but this may help -

YouTube - Shane Warne

Without trying to make things complicated, the basics of you action are important, in simple terms it is important to be relatively side on in your delivery, bowl over you front leg and make sure you follow through fully down the wicket so you have momentum throughout your bowling action. Trying to spin it hard all the time!

May be a good idea just to come off a few steps or one when working on getting the basics right then building on that as you go. The more you understand the mechanics of your action the more dip in the air, drift, side spin, topspin and control you will have when bowling.

The above may be too much info all at once, but once you are happy that your action is repetitive and your are more confident in controling your legbreak then build from there with you topspinner, googly and so on. Bowling leggies can be so rewarding and sometimes embarrassing! stick at it and be patient.

Good luck!

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
excellent advice, have nothing to add, think all spinners can agree with this.

Benaud

Banned
Key is obviously practice. Don't stop bowling in a net session until your satisfied with yourself. If you can't satisfy yourself then your not going to satisfy anyone else (eg. coaches, spectators, teammates, selectors).

What you said about getting smacked around seems to be a mental issue with your bowling. It sounds to me like after you cop a few to the fence, then you start to panick and hope that they don't hit you anymore rather than thinking about how you can prevent it from happening further.

If you take some punishment - don't panick, don't rush. When you walk back to your mark - think about what the batsman has done and how you can combat it. When your at the top of your mark - take a few extra seconds to focus on the next ball and be positive that your gonna deliver a good one.

jathu

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I don't know much but if i was getting hit...I would ensure I have a few players on the leg side boundary and then pitch the ball short. And then get the batsman caught or stumped.

someblokedave

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
When I'm bowling Leg Spin I get under pressure beacuse sometimes the bowlers can smack it.
And when I mess up my bowling beacuse I am under pressure they smack it even harder!

Can somebody give me tips on what to do

Theres two theads each on differnet subjects on Leg spin, so dont get confused.
As the other blokes have said the key to getting better is to become more confident in your own abilities and that means you're going to have to practice. Wrist Spin Bowling is generally agreed to be one of the more difficult if not the most difficult specialiality in cricket. Personally I'd go along with Peter Philpott and Clarrie Grimmett and their recommendation that the majority of your practice should be done on your own. Leg-Spinning takes 100% focus and concentration in order to get it right and be consistent. Practice your leg break, spin it hard and get it to land on a relatively small area (Use a rubber car foot mat). Unless you're gifted it's going to take you months and months if not years to get that sussed, but when you do mate no-ones going to be doing that kind of crap to you again, and you'll be sending the B*******s back to the sheds on a regular basis. Good luck and keep the faith.