• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should I play juniors?

Jakester1288

International Regular
So. Last season I started playing seniors in the afternoon to go with my juniors in the morning. I am still eligible for juniors, if I wish to play. I'm struggling to decide if I want to play juniors as well as seniors, or not.

In juniors, some players take it as a bit of a hack. At the moment, seniors seems a bit the same, but it's more serious and difficult, and I am likely to be moving up a grade this season, to third grade.

Any idea what I should do?

nz0003

School Boy/Girl Captain
Play Juniors IMO, I'm in the same boat as you, except I've got my last season of juniors coming up. I play firsts in seniors but have never really thought of giving it up, its just cricket and another place to learn things, it won't make you bad cricketer so you might as well play it while its still around.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
If you dont enjoy juniors then you shouldnt play. It isnt your only cricket option so why waste your time with something that isnt as good and gets on your nerves.

On the other hand, I would play as I would want to dominate.

Its really up to you

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Bugger, post I made earlier didn't work.

Anyways, I think playing juniors is beneficial because, as Goughy alluded to, learning how to be a guy that is relied upon for the side to go well is an important part of a talented player's development. Too many guys play ahead of their age all the way through, and you often see how these players end up making lots of starts and don't go on to post huge scores. Playing juniors helps you understand how long and hard you have to work to make big scores.

Jakester1288

International Regular
It wastes my whole day, sometimes it's enjoyable but sometimes it's not.

I think I'll play juniors because I will learn a fair bit, our club academy is really crap, but the academy with the nets for juniors and seniors should improve my cricket a lot.

On a side note, do you guys think I should go to seniors Friday training? There is mainly older teenagers and guys, who bowl really quick. Especially the first XI opening bowler and some other firsts and seconds players, bowl so bloody quick I barely see the ball. Wednesday we have juniors training, and seniors train after that, and I do that, just to bowl, and occasionally bat when the quicker guys leave. Thoughts? Next to no one turns up from my grade, so it's not like we have a net for us, it's like first and second, with some of third and fourth (mine) all mixed into 2 nets.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Depends how you make use of your junior games. If you treat them as a bit of a laugh and a bit of a hit-about, that can only be detrimental to your game as a whole, so as long as you go into the junior games with clear goals and objectives, then it should be a bonus.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Depends how you make use of your junior games. If you treat them as a bit of a laugh and a bit of a hit-about, that can only be detrimental to your game as a whole, so as long as you go into the junior games with clear goals and objectives, then it should be a bonus.
Good point.

I am going to use them to practice different things that I would actually try in seniors. If I stuff them up in juniors, it doesn't really matter.

Andre

International Regular
If I stuff them up in juniors, it doesn't really matter.
Yes it does, son. It's a team game, not an individual game. If you stuff up, it doesn't just reflect on you, your 10 mates will be hurting too. Maybe that's worth thinking about when assessing if you play. If you're just going to use juniors to 'try things', don't bother. Do it in the nets like everyone else. Don't let everyone else down because you care about it less and think seniors is more important.

nz0003

School Boy/Girl Captain
Juniors is awesome, the only reason I would give up is because of the early mornings. But I live with it so its all good.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Hmm. Juniors (U15s) go to Vanuatu to play cricket for a week this season. I'm going to try out for rep (U14's) and play that with seniors.