• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowling Faster...

jimbles

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Ok, having been playing for two years now, I've always kept my bowling nice and simple, full length medium pace swing on the middle/off stump. I like to make the batsman play defensive shots so it knocks down there runs and run rate. Lately, I have practically been bowling this perfect all the time, and in the last two game, from bowling 12 overs, I've walked away with 9 maidens. So now I feel I should start bowling faster.

However, whats the best way to go about it?

Obviously I'm not going to try it in a game straight away! But Do i chuck myself in the deep end, and give myself a bigger run up in the nets and just practice it from there? Or should I take it a step at a time? If a step at a time, whats the best way to go about it?

Thanks guys

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How old are you Jimbles? You'll get quicker as you get older. I'm not sure exactly what the best way to maximise this is though, although having a good action helps. If you're 34 obviously we have a problem :happy:

jimbles

I'm 18, and feel my bowling has come along rather quickly.The way I bowl just makes it a natural swinger. In fact, I didn't know I bowled a swinger until our captain in winter nets that I'm the only swinger on the team!

I have a good action when bowling now I feel, so should i take a few more steps back? Because at the moment I have about 5-7 steps which still generates me the medium pace on the ball.

Son Of Coco

I'm 18, and feel my bowling has come along rather quickly.The way I bowl just makes it a natural swinger. In fact, I didn't know I bowled a swinger until our captain in winter nets that I'm the only swinger on the team!

I have a good action when bowling now I feel, so should i take a few more steps back? Because at the moment I have about 5-7 steps which still generates me the medium pace on the ball.
Yeah, you're not going to bowl very fast off 5-7 paces. It's about rhythm though, so don't race in like a madman. I usually bowl off about 14 places (plus a walk-up to the mark) and at my fastest I might have been 125-130.

jimbles

Ok. I wasn't ever expecting to bowl fast of such little steps. I was concentrating on getting it accurate and where I want it, so now I've done that. I want to step it up.

how many steps should I try in net sessions? 12? 15?

Son Of Coco

Ok. I wasn't ever expecting to bowl fast of such little steps. I was concentrating on getting it accurate and where I want it, so now I've done that. I want to step it up.

how many steps should I try in net sessions? 12? 15?
Yeah, no worries I wasn't thinking that you were trying to bowl fast off 5-7 steps haha Try what you're comfortable with is my suggestion. Maybe increase it bit by bit until you reach a happy medium where you're bowling with the same rhythm but getting more pace out of it with the run up. Step it up to 10, then 12 and so on.

jimbles

Seeing as I am on 5-7 steps at the moment, I'll try double starting with 10 steps. I want to work my way up to a 14 step probably... So I can keep the rythm I do for the shorter run up, but just with a longer run up... What you think?

Son Of Coco

Seeing as I am on 5-7 steps at the moment, I'll try double starting with 10 steps. I want to work my way up to a 14 step probably... So I can keep the rythm I do for the shorter run up, but just with a longer run up... What you think?
Sounds like a good way to start out, maybe see if you can get a coach to check out your action to just to make sure you are getting the most out of it you can (a good one, not someone who will make a heap of changes without telling you why).

A guy on here called 'Goughy' will probably spot this soon and give you a hand too. He was a very decent quick bowler I think.

It is important to accelerate through the crease too (i.e: don't slow down as you get to the crease, or run in that far you can't maintain pace to the crease), you don't have to be running like crazy, but just building up to be at your maximum without throwing your rhythm off. Have seen a lot of juniors run in from miles back and actually be slowing down when they hit the crease. The distance you mentioned (14 paces eventually) isn't too far though.

Last edited:

jimbles

I got a net session tomorrow night. Our captain is also our coach, he used to coach youngsters and teenages so knows what he is on about. I'll explain to him what I'm doing and why, and get him to see how he thinks it went.

Ok, I will see what goughy says to!

Jakester1288

International Regular
Check out this thread.

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/coaching-forum/38556-bowling-faster.html

I made it a while ago, it's pretty much the same.

Also, don't just pre determine a length for a run up and do it. Go to an empty fielding or somewhere with space, mark where you start, shut your eyes and do your run up. Concentrate on rythym. Then, mark where your foot landed. Re do it until you are hitting the same spot over and over, than pace it or measure it (whichever you prefer) out.

micoach

Most pace is generated at the crease, not in the run up. There are several elements that go into this, the main ones being the stretch-reflex, the hip drive and chest drive. Basically putting as much force behind the ball as possible.

Ian Pont talks about that a lot in the fast bowler's bible and on his ABSAT courses. I recommend you look into those (or his online coaching course "how to bowl faster")

jimbles

Yeah, I was in the nets today after college with some mates from college who also play cricket. I took a few steps, but it just made my accuracy worse and my bowling speed didn't get much faster so was a bit of a downer really.

Could you link me to anything of them?

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Yeah, I was in the nets today after college with some mates from college who also play cricket. I took a few steps, but it just made my accuracy worse and my bowling speed didn't get much faster so was a bit of a downer really.

Try using your front arm faster when you bowl, use your shoulders a bit more of a 8-9 step run un?

King Pietersen

International Captain

Could have been due to you trying to run in too fast, and more than likely with your weight back. The key is not to run in too fast from the start but to build up pace as you approach the crease and also to keep your weight forwards to stop you from losing balance.

The Fast Bowler's Bible: Ian Pont: Amazon.co.uk: Books

Not sure where you live, but there's the Amazon.co.uk link to Ian Pont's book. I've got it and it has definitely helped my game. Really good fast bowling manual, so indepth with some superb tips. Well worth buying and giving a really good read.

jimbles

cheers KP! Might get it sometime as im based in England. Had a massive set back last night in the nets though, our batsmen smashed the ball back out, i tried to dive catch it... It went horribly wrong and now i've broke one of the small bones in my wrist. Knocked my confidence now! :(

Tom M

Could have been due to you trying to run in too fast, and more than likely with your weight back. The key is not to run in too fast from the start but to build up pace as you approach the crease and also to keep your weight forwards to stop you from losing balance.

The Fast Bowler's Bible: Ian Pont: Amazon.co.uk: Books

Not sure where you live, but there's the Amazon.co.uk link to Ian Pont's book. I've got it and it has definitely helped my game. Really good fast bowling manual, so indepth with some superb tips. Well worth buying and giving a really good read.
The Pont book is good, but he holds a lot of stuff back. I wouldn't get it JUST yet. First of all I would suggest that you start bowling quicker. If you got the book and then tried to put all of the principles into practise it would be very difficult.

Practise bowling fast first. THe more you bowl the better your body becomes at coordinating itself. You'll naturally see an improvement in your speed. Once you feel that you've got a comfortable bowling action which has allowed you to bowl quicker, I think you should get the book.

I would warn you that the book is deliberately hard to apply. Ponty has coaching courses to run. Also, if you're a front on bowler you'll have problems making sense of some of the stuff.

Good luck, sorry to hear about the hand.

killagee

Cricket Spectator
well then what about Mohammad Aamir 17 years old n bowling 140+ in his first Over:p

@ jimlbes: why are U looking to bowl quicker if u bowl so well??? Speed doesnt matter!!
Thats my point of view

jimbles

The Pont book is good, but he holds a lot of stuff back. I wouldn't get it JUST yet. First of all I would suggest that you start bowling quicker. If you got the book and then tried to put all of the principles into practise it would be very difficult.

Practise bowling fast first. THe more you bowl the better your body becomes at coordinating itself. You'll naturally see an improvement in your speed. Once you feel that you've got a comfortable bowling action which has allowed you to bowl quicker, I think you should get the book.

I would warn you that the book is deliberately hard to apply. Ponty has coaching courses to run. Also, if you're a front on bowler you'll have problems making sense of some of the stuff.

Good luck, sorry to hear about the hand.
cheers, I've just played yesterday for my first game back from my hand injury... Took 3-42 then made 53... So a decent come back. Thanks for the tips.

well then what about Mohammad Aamir 17 years old n bowling 140+ in his first Over:p

@ jimlbes: why are U looking to bowl quicker if u bowl so well??? Speed doesnt matter!!
Thats my point of view

Well I guess it's because i feel if i can take the accuracy and that into a fast paced bowl rather than medium paced then it will be harder for batsmen ...

sudheer

Cricket Spectator
Tips for fast bowling!!..

Hey! I have searched some sites and made some notes for the people who are willing to bowl fast....i hope you people will like this!
if you have liked i will post some more....
download this its just 2min.......
http://www.easy-share.com/1906719396/Coaching fast bowling is a basic equation combining two key factors.rar
or

Free File Hosting & Video Downloads, Free File Sharing, Online Friends Network - Ziddu
:):)
if u people want download these SLOW MOTION bowling videos......you can learn from this..i am serious as i am also a bowler.....
For Andrew flintoff you can download from here:
http://www.easy-share.com/1906718901/Cricketcoachingblog.co.uk - Andrew Flintoff Bowling Action.mp4
or
Free File Hosting & Video Downloads, Free File Sharing, Online Friends Network - Ziddu
or
Hotfile.com: One click file hosting

For Brett Lee action videos....

http://www.easy-share.com/1906718894/Cricketcoachingblog.co.uk - Brett Lee Bowling Action.mp4
or
or

and for Morne Morkel videos....
http://www.easy-share.com/1906718871/Cricketcoachingblog.co.uk - Morne Morkel Bowling Action.mp4
or
or

and finally if you want Shane Watson videos try this........
http://www.easy-share.com/1906718832/Cricketcoachingblog.co.uk - Shane Watson Bowling Action.mp4

or

And finally THANK YOU!!!!! if you need any cricket videos and slow motion videos i will tell you..........i will log in after 15 days again......

Last edited:

Jakester1288

International Regular
Hey! I have searched some sites and made some notes for the people who are willing to bowl fast....i hope you people will like this!
if you have liked i will post some more....
download this its just 2min.......
http://www.easy-share.com/1906719396/Coaching fast bowling is a basic equation combining two key factors.rar
or

:):)
if u people want download these SLOW MOTION bowling videos......you can learn from this..i am serious as i am also a bowler.....
For Andrew flintoff you can download from here:
http://www.easy-share.com/1906718901/Cricketcoachingblog.co.uk - Andrew Flintoff Bowling Action.mp4
or
or

For Brett Lee action videos....

http://www.easy-share.com/1906718894/Cricketcoachingblog.co.uk - Brett Lee Bowling Action.mp4
or
or

and for Morne Morkel videos....
http://www.easy-share.com/1906718871/Cricketcoachingblog.co.uk - Morne Morkel Bowling Action.mp4
or
or

and finally if you want Shane Watson videos try this........
http://www.easy-share.com/1906718832/Cricketcoachingblog.co.uk - Shane Watson Bowling Action.mp4

or

And finally THANK YOU!!!!! if you need any cricket videos and slow motion videos i will tell you..........i will log in after 15 days again......
Thanks for that, having a look at them now.

Why 15 days?