• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batting against left-arm over the wicket pace bowlers

mattyl1995

Cricket Spectator
Hi everyone.

I'm 14 years old and last Saturday I was playing for my clue 3rd team. I was batting and was going nicely on 32 not out. Then a left-arm over the wicket pace bowler bowls his first ball against me, there is a little bit of in-swing and I get an inside edge and onto my stumps.

For some reason I always or often struggle against left-arm over the wicket pace bowlers. Even last year I did. Is it because the ball is coming across me? I also struggle to right-arm leg spinners (not as often however). Could it be I struggle with balls come across me and going away from me? I don't normally struggle to left-arm orthodox or right-arm pace bowlers swinging away from me.

I have tried opening my stance up to left hands and that hasn't really worked. What else could I try? Any advice is appreciated. My current guard to all types of bowlers is middle-stump. Should I change this to left-arm over the wicker pace bolwers. Maybe I could take my guard as middle and off?

Anyway please post your advice.

EDIT: I'm right-handed by the way.

Last edited:

Jakester1288

International Regular
It could be the variation, perhaps a pace difference, angle, swing and/or seam, bounce, and more. Work on it in the nets with your left arm bowlers and work out how to play them.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Maybe I could take my guard as middle and off?

Anyway please post your advice.
Middle and leg don't you mean? I used to find lefties hard to face but to be honest I hardly ever got out to them. Just play straight on the balls that are going to hit the stumps.

alvarez

First Class Debutant
Im an opening batsmen and quite often face left arm pace bowlers. I change my guard to middle to leg when facing them. A bit bizzarre as I take middle to off when facing right handers.

mattyl1995

Cricket Spectator
Middle and leg don't you mean? I used to find lefties hard to face but to be honest I hardly ever got out to them. Just play straight on the balls that are going to hit the stumps.
No I mean middle and off. If I did middle and leg I would feel like I'm more likely to get out due to exposing stumps. With middle and off more of my stumps would be covered and I doubt I would get out LBW because many umpires are too cautious about left-arm over due to whether or not the ball pitched in line.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I usually found opening up my stance slightly did the trick. Never found lefties that hard to face, unless they were 130+ :happy: I should also note, I'm not really a batsman. I may have moved my guard to middle and leg, but I can't remember. Would probably make sense.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
No I mean middle and off. If I did middle and leg I would feel like I'm more likely to get out due to exposing stumps. With middle and off more of my stumps would be covered and I doubt I would get out LBW because many umpires are too cautious about left-arm over due to whether or not the ball pitched in line.
Hmm okay, but perhaps you could try opening up your stance a bit more, like say have your back foot in line with middle and your front leg (your left) in line with around leg stump or slightly outside depending on your comfort really. So yeah open up your stance more is what I did and recommend.

Also when you see a lefty about to bowl don't **** yourself.

mattyl1995

Cricket Spectator
I usually found opening up my stance slightly did the trick. Never found lefties that hard to face, unless they were 130+ :happy: I should also note, I'm not really a batsman. I may have moved my guard to middle and leg, but I can't remember. Would probably make sense.
Hmm okay, but perhaps you could try opening up your stance a bit more, like say have your back foot in line with middle and your front leg (your left) in line with around leg stump or slightly outside depending on your comfort really. So yeah open up your stance more is what I did and recommend.

Also when you see a lefty about to bowl don't **** yourself.
I've tried opening up my stance. Doesn't seem to help me. I'll ask some of my cricket coaches at club/school and see what they say. Maybe I just need to concentrate more when facing left armers.

Tom M

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I'm a left arm quicky (if you dont' believe me look at the photo!) and find that the angle is the thing that stuffs up batsmen the most. My advise would be to get closer to off stump in your guard, opening up the leg side. Left armers tend to swing the ball in, so you'll be able to work the ball off your pads without much fear of an LBW. Also it will help to neutralise the angle.

As has been said above, the best thing is to just try and get some practise in!