• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I think i have the Yips when i am bowling

chris.hinton

International Captain
I think i have the yips when i am bowling. Yesterday i took 2 wickets one of which was a full toss and one which was a double bouncer.

Anyway in nets i am fine once i warm up but it seems when i am playing in a game it all falls apart and one ball is a double bouncer and one is a beamer but i can bowl balls which are fine

I know that you cannot do much but just wondering in any tips to combat this? i am really worried about it

Cheers

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Focus on the spot on the pitch you want to hit and not the crease at your end or the batsman. Maybe spend some time on your run-up too so it's smooth and you have good rhythm.

A mate of mine used to have this problem in games too...great in the nets but his run-up was terrible in the game. Was hilarious to watch from slips :happy:

King Pietersen

International Captain
I had a similar problem when it came to batting in a game. I could play all my shots in the nets, but when it came to a match I froze up and just blocked, not relying on the technique that had been working for me in the nets. But I just realised that I just need to be positive, play on instinct and enjoy myself. Cricket's a real confidence game, just have a positive mental attitude and know that you've got the ability to perform (you've proven that in practise) and just enjoy the game situation. It may take a while, but it'll come, and once it clicks it feels great out in the middle!

jimbles

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I do crap bowling in the nets, where I try to do a big run up for speed on the ball, but in a game, I do half the run up and bowl brilliantly. My advice would be to start it simple in a game, and step up your bowling when you feel confident.

slowfinger

International Debutant
I played a game today, a 20/20 tounament, we came last >:)

But in one game where I was playing, there was this dude who completely slogged us out the game, he didn't feel at all bothered, he just slogged and slogged and he got 94, I got him, well, in my over!!!
But he was so goodand he didnt feel nervous at all, I think that is a great qualty to have.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Steve Davis said that if you can play like it means nothing when it means everything, you've got it nailed.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
As a spinner, maybe try concentrating on one aspect of your action. Sometimes if I'm not bowling well, I just think about having a nice strong front arm, and the result ends up being a lot better while I'm concentrating on that.