• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Picking my first bat...

jimbles

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Don't know where to post this so i thought here should be fine!

Right, I'll start by saying hello as I am new to this site!

I've been playing cricket for 2 and half years now, I'm 18. I got involved because my friends cousin is captain, and needed players and got me into. Now cricket has become my number one sport!

I play Wednesday and Saturdays, and when I started, I always batted 11 due to being, well, rubbish at first. Steadily over the seasons I have gotten better at batting, and have worked my way to bat number 4 or 5 now.

So I figure I need my OWN bat now! I lent team mates bats all the other teams, mainly my best mates ones. The one was a Woodworm Globe, good bat I thought, nice pick. The other bat was a Puma Vendetta, which is a little heavier on the pick up but I've hit more boundaries with that!

So I need a bat that is similar to both of these basicaly. I play mainly singles, and go for the boundary when the opportunity presents itself, so I was wondering if I could get some help and pointers on which bat to get.

I've looked at Kookaburra bats, and the Kahuna and The Wild Beast have caught my eye. I understand the Kahuna is mainly for big hitters I think? So I'm right in thinking thats not for me! However what about the Beast one?

Any other bats you can link me to please do so. As it's my first bat, I don't want to spend anymore than £70 on it really.

Thanks guys!

jimbles

Are Kookaburra ones big? Which do you think would better for me out of beast or big kahuna?

I bat number four on a wednesday, 12 8 ball overs, and 5 on a Saturday but I'm always told by the captain to try and make us some runs.. I think this is through my no fear of the ball, as I'll always attack the ball no matter whether it is is pace, seam or spin.

That's why I'm looking into Kookaburra at the moment. Does this seem the right idea?

Jakester1288

International Regular
Go to a store if you can and pick them up, and shadow bat. A couple will feel good and immeadiately suit. Then narrow down the shortlist, and pick one using price and feel as main guidelines, as well as checking out the bat fully eg toe, does it come with a toeguard, does it look good, does it have good grain, etc.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Well there are many bats out there...woodworms tend to have thick edges also kookaburra...so you are probably looking for a bat with thick edges...if you bat at number 4, you are most likely a strokemaker thus you should go for quite a light bat. English willow is better but more expensive than kashmir.
Check Cricket Direct - cricket equipment, cricket bats and Oakley Sunglasses at discount price delivered around the World
Are you nuts?? Cricket Direct is where you DONT want to go.And if he wants a good bat for £70 or under he should go to factory shops and select the one that suits his, let him feel it first.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Agreed. Cricket Direct are a woeful company. I ordered a load of stuff from them when I first started playing, and it turned out a few items were out of stock, so instead of phoning up/e-mailing me to tell me the order would be delayed, they just left me waiting =/ Talk about shoddy customer services, I cancelled my order and went elsewhere. Cricketsupplies, BarringtonSports, Owzat and Pro 4 Sport are the best ones I've used!

jimbles

I done what you said!! Our cricket captain took me to a factory cricket shop his mate owns, who sponsers our team so we get everything at brilliant discounts.

I ended up getting a Puma X-Treme 3000... Probably not the best bat out there, but i felt really comfortable when I shadow batted, and the weight felt perfect, so it will do for me!!

Currently on the boring knockingin stages...