• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Captaining

pako007

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hi evry1 here at the forums, i have a question. i am elected captain of my side. can you guys help me. i kick ass at being captain. like leading etc. but i never set a field, some field settings are not allowed, like having 3 behind square. can you guys help me think about field settings that are not allowed? and which field places are very important to note. like switching from spin field to fast ? i heard that 5 are not allowed on the leg side only 4 or is this a misconception. i would really appreciate your help.

yours truly.

Evilhoopler

U19 12th Man
the 5 and 4 rule is 20/20 only. May be OD too.

I am captain too and set my basic field as follows, along with how good fielder is;

Mid on-Poor
Mid off-Poor

Push them back for a slogger down the ground

Short Cover-Good

Start with a short cover for pressure, then push him back, up for a spinner.

Point-Good

Behind square

Slip-Good

Good bowler, 2 or 3, for this purpose 2, 1 for a spinner

Deep Back sq leg-ok

Deepends if I set them deep or in on the aggresiveness.

Fine leg-ok

This is a maybe position, for good bowlers u wont need this.

Mid wicket-ok

Sometimes bring in for pressure, slogger I may push him back

And 1 for ur purpose,

Fast bowler-3rd man
Spinner-Bat pad, short leg, silly point
And a sweeper, or to protect an rea the batsman likes.

pako007

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Wow this forum is awesome. evilhoopler, i really appreciate your advice. it is gonna help me alot this season. i was thinking quite similar about the field settings. but i will mainly captain one-days. so the 5-4 rule does apply, what is this rule actually. u can have 5 on the off and 4 on the leg-side ?

but i loved the advice u gave.