• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Help with fast bowling (Video)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Its a powerful action for someone that isnt built big.

However, it is a mixed action. The feet are side-on and the upper body is open-chested.

This causes a massive pivot on the left foot (originally points towards square leg and finishes pointing to third man).

This causes a few problems, including but not limited to:
- High potential for ankle injuries
- High torque on the back and high chance of back injuries
- Will be difficult to pivot like that on hard tracks as the spikes will stick

The pivot also has the body going in a direction other than a straight line and this impacts accuracy.

If I get time tomorrow (or the day after) Ill do some screen caps.

Id aim to open your plant foot up or close the upper body (ie look behind the front arm)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Have you got any videos of Pro's bowling fast that i can copy from?
I wouldnt aim to copy any pros. An action must be natural and they are all unique to the individual.

However, we all just need to tweak and take the rough edges off. IMO, yours would be the direction your front foot plants or to look behind the front arm.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, I'm with Goughy here. Your left arm seems to drop away to the left of the target rather than at it so you end up open chested. You also lose momentum at the crease, which might be due to this as well. If you get everything going in the same direction then you should maintain momentum through the crease instead of almost stopping and then jogging a few steps. Doesn't look like a bad action otherwise though. If you drive your left elbow to your hip during delivery you'll straighten up and also (possibly) produce more power.

On the other hand, I may have no idea what I'm talking about :happy:

I wouldn't set out to copy other's action but you can certainly watch other bowlers to see what they do with their left arm. Just don't watch Harmison or Tait...

AshNZ

Cricket Spectator
Hi..

do you get issues with controlling your line? When your front foot lands it's facing towards fine leg and then you rotate around it when you let go off the ball. Your foot goes from facing fine leg to third man within a matter of milli-seconds as you release the ball.,. Its pretty freaky and will result in injuries if you do not correct it. To clearly understand what I mean, check out the frame around 2:27 and 2:28

pnesam07

Cricket Spectator
Yeah I do tend to struggle with my line.

So correct me if I'm wrong but the best thing for me to do is bowl more side on ( Look over my arm ) and that'll sort out my foot pivot?
What I'm getting is that I've got a mixed action, with my top half front on and my bottom half side on.... if i make the top half more side on will this help stop my bad pivot on the ankle?

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Some screen caps

Open chested upper body action

Front foot points to square leg (side-on lower body action) but the upper body goes a different direction

Because of pivot the body is going away from the batsman and the target and the lower body is now in a 'open' position.

So because your action is mixed you are putting extra stress on parts of your body and the additional issue of your body going in different directions which hurts accuracy.

Solutions

- If the front foot is to stay the same then you need to look outside the front arm (side-on).

- If the front arm is to stay the same then the front foot must land pointing towards the batsman rather than towards square leg.

Last edited:

twilk

Cricket Spectator
id try start by tryin to get the back foot pointing towards the bowler, this will help keep the momentum travelling down the track. i also think it would help develop your action into a full frontwards one. your feet position is naturally good tho.

as well as that, try keeping your chest puffed up (and facing the batsmen) so its the furthest forward part of your body, do this by taking a deep breath bbefore your jump. also try to bring the non bowling arm down closer to your body to prevent you falling away and keep your weight and power following the ball.

this will all add power and pace, you already have alot of power for your size and a good action so if you get things right mechanically you'l be a serious bowler.

iv just read ian ponts 'fast bowlers bible' and wouuld really recommend it for anyone looking to improve their bowling.

good luck!

edynamo

Cricket Spectator
Goughy - how do you download the video from youtube to get the screen shots? I have a couple of coaching packages to do the analysis in just cant get the video into a useable format!

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy - how do you download the video from youtube to get the screen shots? I have a couple of coaching packages to do the analysis in just cant get the video into a useable format!
I paused the video on Youtube at the point I needed, and I just used printscreen and pasted into Paint.

Very simple