• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Help with Run up

jonnyboy47

Cricket Spectator
I bowl very average pace (left arm) and I think i could actually bowl with some decent pace as I'm quite athletic but i think my run up is the major problem. I have a problem where when I approach the crease I lose my stride pattern (maybe due to worrying about overstepping the line) and often end up shuffling to compensate and avoid a no ball which means i rarely approach the crease at any decent speed. The obvious thing would be to say stop worrying but its a psychological thing that I can't seem to shake now. I was just wondering if anyone has some simple tips/advise for overcoming this.

Related to this I also just can't seem to consistently bowl off the same run up, are there any good drills for perfect my run up?

Thanks a lot

John

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
The problem is that you are not confident about your run up being the right length. It is a fair problem. The solution to stand in a large field and run, as you would hope to run to the crease, and then to the bowling action, when it feels right. Get a friend to measure the distance and repeat until the results are similar, which should not be too long.

Find out how far this distance is, in terms of normal walking steps (add a half a yard to be sure you will be behind the line) and come off this run up with the poise and knowledge that this run up will not lead you to a no ball if you remain as you were in the field.

edynamo

Cricket Spectator
What level do you play?

The classic approach is to have a mark then run away from it notiing where you feel comfortable to bowl - or get a mate to note where your take off point is and measure it from there. Lots of other more complicated ways though if that doesnt work!

jonnyboy47

Cricket Spectator
Thanks both,

I have tried these both and when i practise the run up starting at the crease and running away its fine and consistent but as i approach the wicket going the right way I lose my stride nearly everytime - has anyone else found this? I've tried looking more higher so as to not really look at the ground as i approach but it still doesn't work!

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Used to do the same thing, and it's very frustrating.

I did the Lillee thing and blindfolded myself, then performed my run-up and marked it several times, so I knew exactly how long it was in steps. I then walked it over and over again, just on a field, until I was confident I knew how long it was.

I did it for several days and felt like an idiot at the time, but it worked for me, and I've never even thought about it again. :)

jonnyboy47

Cricket Spectator
where does the stuttering / inconsistency begin?

Can you film your self bowling?

It is literally as I am 3 strides from getting into the transformation for the jump, basically just I am approaching the change of colour of grass.

Do you think counting the strides as i run in would help or alternately maybe trying to work out where my feet should be on each of the last 5 or so strides might help structure it?

edynamo

Cricket Spectator
Is your delivery stride consistent length and do you take off at the same point?
could be you are trying to fit an extra step in?

How athletic are you?